Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Getting Sony Network Walkman working under Linux

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

HOWTO: Getting Sony Network Walkman working under Linux

NOTE! I have now attached an ogg video where you see how I list the mp3s on my Sony NW-E75 and then upload a new one. Maybe that one will help you more.

For those of you who has a Sony Network Walkman mp3 player can now cry out of joy because here is the solution .

1. Download my compressed file which contents are allready compiled. If you don't want to use my pre-compiled files you will have to either download the source file I have as well attached to this post, it wasn't hard to compile so if you wanna go for it don't be worried .

2. Plugin your Sony NW mp3 player.

3. Open up a console and run the following files for each task:

* Dumping the songs currently on your player: ./mple-dump /path/to/player

Please specify the correct path to your mp3 player or else it will not succeed. For me the path is /media/usbdisk but look at your configuration as it could differ.

* Removing a song: ./mple-rm /path/to/player/ Tracknumber

Replace /path/to/player as before with the correct path to your mp3 player as before, also replace Tracknumber with the tracknumber of the song you want to remove (tracknumbers are listed when you dump the song contents).

* Uploading a new song to your player. This will be done in 2 steps (really 3 ) and the first thing we must do is to run ./mple-dump /path/to/player if there is no songs in the player atm, if you happends to allready have some songs on the player you can skip that step and continue on with the next step which is to run: ./mple-load -m /path/to/player -p Song.mp3

Note that I'm not the creator of this wonderful program so don't thank me for anything. I just wanted to tell you about this . There may be a GUI in the source but I'm too much novice to get it working (if it's there?. Creating a GUI wouldn't be sucha hard task either. Anyhow, I hope this help some of you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tomplast; July 1st, 2006 at 08:17 AM.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Getting Sony Network Walkman working under Linux

It error getting pblist: No such file or directory's on me. I have an NW-A1000 mounted at /media/usbdisk.

Could it be my device isn't supported? I've hear reports Sony's own drag and drop file tool won't work with the purple pebbles either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

i had one of these, it was terrible, it didnt even work properly with the proper software in windows then its just died after less than a months use. im currently waiting for sony to send it back in the post repaired.
    thx though, ill try this when i get it back.

it would be easy to make a gui for this, if noone else does i might try making one when i get my walkmen back.
    *note to anyone not currently an owner DONT BUY THESE MP3 PLAYERS THEY SUCK!!!
    Last edited by Hairy_Palms; June 30th, 2006 at 03:55 PM.
    Jeremy Clarkson - "A Dazzling Hero of Political Incorrectness"
    My LastFM profile
    want to Give each GTK program its own theme? well look Here

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Laurier
    It error getting pblist: No such file or directory's on me. I have an NW-A1000 mounted at /media/usbdisk.

Could it be my device isn't supported? I've hear reports Sony's own drag and drop file tool won't work with the purple pebbles either.
    Yeah I'm terrible sorry, it's a little ackward to use but it works. I guess that you will have try different combinations or something because I tried several times and succeded. I will post as soon as I'm sure of how I did it.

The two commands that I used were:

./mple-test /media/usbdisk
    sudo ./mple-load -m /media/usbdisk -p .

I don't know if it had something todo with sudo or that I placed the mp3songs together with mple. Try it and see if it works for you.
    Last edited by tomplast; June 30th, 2006 at 06:58 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tomplast
    Yeah I'm terrible sorry, it's a little ackward to use but it works. I guess that you will have try different combinations or something because I tried several times and succeded. I will post as soon as I'm sure of how I did it.

The two commands that I used were:

./mple-test /media/usbdisk
    sudo ./mple-load -m /media/usbdisk -p .

I don't know if it had something todo with sudo or that I placed the mp3songs together with mple. Try it and see if it works for you.
    When i try to play the files it says only "NO DATA". I used format first then used those two commands, those two worked but not to play.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by hikitsu4
    When i try to play the files it says only "NO DATA". I used format first then used those two commands, those two worked but not to play.
    Maybe you're player is not supported or maybe the program is incomplete, I don't truely know . And btw, you did unmount your mp3player afterwards right? Because I hope that you know that all changes are only applied when unmounting the device, so if you just unplugged there would be no changes but I hope that you are aware of that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tomplast
    Maybe you're player is not supported or maybe the program is incomplete, I don't truely know . And btw, you did unmount your mp3player afterwards right? Because I hope that you know that all changes are only applied when unmounting the device, so if you just unplugged there would be no changes but I hope that you are aware of that.
    I did and i got a NW-E403, right now i got a catalog named
    "esys" and in that i got pblist0.dat and pblist1.dat, and in that folder i got another folder called nw-mp3 and in that folder i got the files mp0001.dat-mp0003.dat.
    Last edited by hikitsu4; July 1st, 2006 at 09:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by hikitsu4
    I did and i got a NW-E403, right now i got a catalog named
    "esys" and in that i got pblist0.dat and pblist1.dat, and in that folder i got another folder called nw-mp3 and in that folder i got the files mp0001.dat-mp0003.dat.
    The names of the files and folders have no capitals in them right? I have a similar catalog structure on my mp3player, if you have messenger we can take it there. My MSN is spaceprogrammer@hotmail.com

Beans

Hi,

I have a N50.
    It mounts OK.

./mple-dump /a
    Folder: TEST3
    empty folder
    Folder: TEST2
    empty folder

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Beans

Cool Re: HOWTO: Getting Sony Network Walkman working under Linux

Well, I have a NW-E75, and it is not working...

I have also compiled the program from the sources (http://www.waider.ie/hacks/workshop/c/mple/) and it's not working better...
    But there is a graphical interface (the same as the windows one)

Sorry for the bad english, but i'm french

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast