Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Live TV stutters- most of the time I have to pause for a second

Beans

Re: Live TV stutters- most of the time I have to pause for a second

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    What playback profile are you using and which have you tried?
    Hi, I'm using OpenGL normal, and have tried all OpenGL and all "Normal" profiles. The rest does not seem to be an option (VAAPI crashes the frontend, and I don't have AMD/NVIDIA cards for VDPAU etc.).

I have now found reference to this bug and it seems to be fixed in 0.26:
    https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/com...a5f844519f51f9

Does anybody know how to request this fix to be backported to 0.25 as part of 0.25-fixes?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maxxx1234 View Post
    Hi, I'm using OpenGL normal, and have tried all OpenGL and all "Normal" profiles. The rest does not seem to be an option (VAAPI crashes the frontend, and I don't have AMD/NVIDIA cards for VDPAU etc.).

I have now found reference to this bug and it seems to be fixed in 0.26:
    https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/com...a5f844519f51f9

Does anybody know how to request this fix to be backported to 0.25 as part of 0.25-fixes?
    mythtv-dev mailing list would be the place.

Beans

I have already upgraded to 0.26 and the problem still exists.
    Interesting is that in the versions below 0.25 the problem was not there with exactly the same hardware.

Beans

I opened now a bug for the developer. Hopefully someone will look into it.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Live TV stutters- most of the time I have to pause for a second

I even changed now my GPU and installed a separate NVIDIA card. I changed the playback profile to VDPAU (all three different qualities) and the problem still persists. The only thing that improved is the smoothness of the picture moves.

Beans

Opening tickets with the mythtv devs will not help, usually they just close them without a resolution.

Honestly, I would advise you to install XBMC as the frontend and use mythtv as the backend only. XMBC v12 has been out for some days now, and contains native support for mythtv. No stutters, and video accell works.

The mythtv frontend is such a crappy piece of software with so many bugs and horrible support that it is not worth to bother with. And thanks to XBMC, we don't have to anymore

Beans

Steve,
    A silly question probably but when you fitted your Nvidia card, did you invoke the drivers?
    On my 12.04 system I needed
    Mythtv control centre
    > launch restricted drivers manager
    > nvidia accelerated graphics driver (version current) [recommended]

Best wishes
    Phil

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maxxx1234 View Post
    Opening tickets with the mythtv devs will not help, usually they just close them without a resolution.

Honestly, I would advise you to install XBMC as the frontend and use mythtv as the backend only. XMBC v12 has been out for some days now, and contains native support for mythtv. No stutters, and video accell works.

The mythtv frontend is such a crappy piece of software with so many bugs and horrible support that it is not worth to bother with. And thanks to XBMC, we don't have to anymore
    let's see

* xbmc frontend looks dire
    * xbmc deinterlacing far inferior
    * xbmc frontend much slower

being an avid user of both XBMC and mythtv I still prefer mythtv frontend for watching live TV or recordings.

Personal preference of course.

Beans

Same problem here. Atom 330, Nvidia, VDPAU, latest nvidia drivers. For the last few months, SD channels need a pause/unpause in livetv or they stutter. HD channels are not a problem. SD/HD playback settings are the same.

Looking at the playback info OSD (really cool display), it seems there is a definite buffering issue until I do a pause/unpause. Percent buffer used is low and buffered frames keeps dropping. Buffered frames stays at the max value for HD or after the pause/unpause on SD.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PhilWig View Post
    Steve,
    A silly question probably but when you fitted your Nvidia card, did you invoke the drivers?
    On my 12.04 system I needed
    Mythtv control centre
    > launch restricted drivers manager
    > nvidia accelerated graphics driver (version current) [recommended]

Best wishes
    Phil

Hi Phil, sometimes silly questions are the right thing to raise. But I have installed the latest driver, have them recognized in the mythtv control-center and I already also played around with the nvidia setting dialog interface. Unfortunatly, the stuttering when I start to shift to a new channel in live-TV mode stays the same.

Just a side notice:
    I even have now new problems besides this stuttering.
    With the GPU on the iCore processor, the smootheness of motions was (besides this clear stuttering) not perfect. Now with the NVidia Card and VDPAU settings this looks much smoother but now I get artifacts once a while for a fraction of a second. I still have DVB-T with low resolution which is calculated to 1080p. Maybe this would not happen if I would have HDTV already as a source signal (at least demo HDTV videos look very nice and the artifacts did not show up) . But somehow the VDPAU settings seem not to be perfect for scaling the picture from old TV resolution to 1080p even though hardware exceleration is working on the nvidia GPU.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast