Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GNOME Desktop Environment

Beans

Re: GNOME Desktop Environment

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    As it stands right now, GNOME session is at 3.4.2.1 and gnome-shell is at 3.5.4. I installed gnome-shell-extensions.

GNOME is not useful at all for me. The menu system for applications is too cumbersome to navigate through my installed software applications. It's slow. I also don't like the GNOME user interface very much at all. There's too much mousing around, mouse clicks, and there is not enough space to add most of my favorite applications for quick launch. GNOME is boring to use.

I think that I am not going to use it for a full week. I am exiting GNOME now.
    After reading a lot of your posts/threads I do not believe Linux is for you. You should install Windows 7 and stick with it, but ease back on your security measures you are using overkill methods that are bogging down your machine.
    Last edited by KiwiNZ; October 1st, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You don't have to read what I decide to post online and tell me to use Windows 7. I am going to use Ubuntu because I like it a lot. I am not switching back to Windows 7. As far as security goes, it's fine with me and I like very high security. I have not been attacked in years and that's due to my high security.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    After reading a lot of your posts/threads I do not believe Linux is for you. You should install Windows 7 and stick with it, but ease back on your security measures you are using overkill methods that are bogging down your machine.
    It seems more like he is enjoying experimenting with DE's to me so I would not say Linux is not for him. If he were on Windows he would probably be experimenting with alternate shells, Windows blinds and what not.

As far as security goes I agree though, the security measures used should be in accordance with the way in which the machine is used.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

You don't have to read what I decide to post online and tell me to use Windows 7. I am going to use Ubuntu because I like it a lot. I am not switching back to Windows 7. As far as security goes, it's fine with me and I like very high security. I have not been attacked in years and that's due to my high security.
    I don't use an Antivirus suite on Windows and haven't be attacked either (and yes I am sure there is no hidden malware).

Sometimes it is useless to use too many security features e.g encrypting with two different programs or something.

Your system is secure enough if you have Bios enabled Hard disk locking, a decent wallet manager, encryption and a user password. The encryption isn't really necessary unless you are paranoid about content being stolen. Many motherboards come with good HDD security features such that even if the HDD is removed it will not work in another laptop when protected.

Beans

What "attacks" have you experienced and evidence did you have of an actual attack?

You are using more security than I would see in most Corporate or Government environment. I due to what I do have my machines online 24/7 I have never had an attack. Most of the security scare stuff is misinformed media hype and hype by those with a vested interest.

And I was not 'telling' you to use Windows I was again giving friendly advice based on observation, you could do well to learn the difference and ease up on the agression.
    Last edited by KiwiNZ; October 1st, 2012 at 07:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Alright. I will take it as friendly advice. Thank you.

However, I am not going to switch back to Windows 7. It is just not nearly as secure as Ubuntu.

As for attacks, I have not been attacked in the past three years. So far, so good.

Beans

Ubuntu is not more secure than Windows, the main security issues for any OS is between the chair and the keyboard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Ubuntu is not more secure than Windows, the main security issues for any OS is between the chair and the keyboard.
    My cat? Oh man! I knew it. I knew I shouldn't have her on my lap. It's been her all this time. The minute I turn my back, the very minute, she's downloading malware. Okay, that's it.

The cat -- is banned.

Last edited by VTPoet; October 1st, 2012 at 10:29 PM.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    My cat? Oh man! I knew it. I knew I shouldn't have her on my lap. It's been her all this time. The minute I turn my back, the very minute, she's downloading malware. Okay, that's it.

The cat -- is banned.

That cat.

That is one mean looking Kitty . Think best to let Kitty get on with it.
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post

The cat -- is banned.

Cats have a long criminal history, it's the eyes, I tell you, look at the eyes.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast