Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help me figure out the best distro for someone...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Help me figure out the best distro for someone...

Quote Originally Posted by Epodx64 View Post
    She's finally committed to changing to Ubuntu 12.04.1 Full time I'll get to do the install (yeaaah) tomorrow she can't get enough of Unity loves the Dash search feature and absolutely loves having Firefox LibreOffice etc... on the launcher loves the free software mostly the games like Frozen Bubble but what I'm most stoked about since i'll disable all the testing and backport repositories I'll run her down on how to update the system when It says too and how to move her favorites to the side launcher then finally I shouldn't have to work on that f#*kin computer again for hopefully the next 3-5 years I've seriously spent countless hours repairing that same XP install with the same virus/malware Thank you Ubuntu.

Good luck with the install. Hopefully all goes well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Good luck with the install. Hopefully all goes well.
    Thanks it went perfect use to be my old computer and never had any problems with Linux installs on it. I honestly feel slightly liberated that I won't have to spend hours in from of that retched horrible machine anymore seriously, Thank You Ubuntu for making my hectic life just a little more easier today.
    + Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit +
    Lubuntu 12.04 PPC 32bit G4 | Ubuntu 12.04 PPC 64bit G5

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Epodx64 View Post
    ...then finally I shouldn't have to work on that f#*kin computer again for hopefully the next 3-5 years I've seriously spent countless hours repairing that same XP install with the same virus/malware...
    Been there, done that.

I used to repair my daughters and her ex-husbands XP computer all the time. When she got divorced, she and my grandchildren moved in with me. I took some old desktop computers I was going to recycle, and pieced together 3 working computers for my grandchildren to use. The computers I built used Ubuntu. No more malware!

It is now several years later. My daughter has repaired her credit after the divorce, gotten a degree, gotten a good job, and is buying my grandchildren laptops. Wouldn't you guess, they run Microsoft Windows.

I went for years without having to remove malware from their computers; however, that has changed; although, Microsoft Windows 7 seems to be less vulnerable. It doesn't matter what I do to protect the computer from malware. They just ignore the antivirus and firewall warnings. They click OK to everything it seems.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; September 30th, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

My vote on that machine would be Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity. If this were last year I would have recommended Xubuntu. I'd guess that Ubuntu is as fast as Xubuntu nowadays. Another person suggested that the systems that try to mimic Windows would lead to frustration as the user learns that things really don't work the same. With Unity the user knows from the beginning that the pc is going to work with vast differences. The good news is that its fun to learn and use and fairly simple. The frustrated folks aren't the ones that can't figure out how to do their email or surf the web, but rather the power users who can't customize their programs and desktops to behave exactly the way they had it before.

Change is good; Unity is better.

Beans

Congratulations on a happy mom.

I'm SO glad my fiancee doesn't like Unity. She seems to hate it as much as I do.

For names of apps being different, I just solved it in a simple way with Xubuntu. Everything she uses, I put a shortcut to it on the desktop. Facebook, Pandora her email (web-based) and Libre Office for the few things she does with that, and that's about 90% of what she does. She's savvy enough now to launch the web browser too.

She will also click any link from anywhere. I wonder if there's a way to change all links so they read "hand over my bank account to these bozos". She would probably still do it.
    Help stamp out MBR partition tables. Use GPT instead!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    For names of apps being different, I just solved it in a simple way with Xubuntu. Everything she uses, I put a shortcut to it on the desktop. Facebook, Pandora her email (web-based) and Libre Office for the few things she does with that, and that's about 90% of what she does. She's savvy enough now to launch the web browser too.
    A panel with launchers also works well for that.

Beans

I don't think you can beat Ubuntu for what you describe.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234