Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me figure out the best distro for someone...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Help me figure out the best distro for someone...

Seems like you want a LTS equivalent distro. If you don't think she would like Ubuntu 12.04 then I would look at Debian stable or a RHEL clone like CentOS, Scientific, PUIAS, etc. That way once you have it all set to the users liking there isn't much upkeep.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Deadflowr's advice is best, I think. Install the DE you yourself are most comfortable and familiar with.

If that's not an issue, then I would recommend Xubuntu. I've done a number of installations for former Windows users and they all seem to prefer Xubuntu/XFCE. Unity is still buggy (in small and aggravating ways) and no former Windows user, in my own experience, has liked the absence of a text menu (the mobile iconization) in Unity or Gnome Shell. KDE can be problematic and slow on older hardware accustomed to running XP. It's also way, way, way more firepower than the average XP user needs. LXDE/Lubuntu might be superb if she's not the kind to tweak and doesn't care about bling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Xubuntu, Kubuntu, or openSUSE KDE.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    I would say install the one you're most comfortable helping her out with.
    Good point. You're going to be tech support, so you should go with what you're familiar with.

But if you can handle any of them, I'd go with Kubuntu, since KDE would be pretty familiar to XP users.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Help me figure out the best distro for someone...

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    Then download different versions of distros to try live. When she decides make a dual boot. .
    I think this is best. She goes OL with Linux and plays games with Windows.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Dual boot Kubuntu with XP and I don't think its default looks are a problem if you pin / add on menu the important applications like web browser.

Let her use chrome or chromium though.

See the link in my signature for making Kubuntu really fast on that hardware.
    Last edited by kio_http; September 29th, 2012 at 05:30 AM.

Beans

It's not much of a challenge to set up a Linux system to look/feel like Win XP - one panel on the bottom then the following (left to right): menu, minimize all windows, a couple of app launchers (if desired), window list, notification area, volume control (if not in the notification area). Gnome 2, MATE, Gnome Classic or XFCE as a DE, no compositing. One workspace.

Unfamiliar program names can be frustrating to new users. I usually make desktop launchers for commonly used programs and give them names that would be familiar to a Windows user: Internet for Firefox, Word for LO Writer, Email for Thunderbird etc...

You may run into a problem with the Intel graphics drivers on that particular machine. I had a Dell GX280 with similar specs and could never get beyond a black screen of death using the onboard graphics. I finally gave up and popped in a used ATI graphics card from Ebay – I think it was around $10.

I can highly recommend Debian 6.0 with the Gnome 2 desktop for that machine, it ran fine on my GX280 with 1GB of RAM. However, if you'll be doing long-distance support you should install a distro and desktop environment you are familiar with.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Definitely check out Linux Mint Debian Edition with xfce. It's orders of magnitude lighter and quicker than xubuntu and it's a rolling release.

The only drawback is that since it is based on Debian it is sometimes finicky with periphrerals, especially printers.

I like to install a proper dock with xfce.

I think that on your hardware it's going to chug with gnome shell, unity or kde.

Another option would be Zorin which is very windowsish.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Another +1 for Xubuntu

If you want you can also try out the others by installing the meta packages ubuntu-desktop, lubuntu-desktop, and so on. Then when you have chosen one, you can clean off the others. For Xubuntu, follow these, but there are instructions for any desktop:
    http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well thanks for all the advice I've had her try out Zorin OS (didn't like it) she surprisingly liked Ubuntu with Unity quite alot she hasn't committed to it but it was her favorite out of (Zorin,Kubuntu,Xubuntu,Linux Mint w/ Mate) really with cleaning up her Windows XP installation I've been down that road to many times to count over the last 10 years I install great Antivirus software (such as Avast!) and always set up a firewall but she renders any protection I put on the computer by blatantly disregarding warnings that executing this program is unsafe and will probably cause extensive damage and nullify your security she clicks any link from any website she'll open executable's from email from people she doesn't know she freely installs ActiveX updates from suspect websites no... I'm not doing to Windows clean up just to have it destroyed within days anymore (she's had her bank account info hijacked twice nonetheless) no matter what I do to lock down her system its so easily circumvented when you take no precautions as to what your doing so it's pretty much Linux or she can use the XP machine till its completely crippled which shouldn't be too long.
    Last edited by Epodx64; September 29th, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
    + Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit +
    Lubuntu 12.04 PPC 32bit G4 | Ubuntu 12.04 PPC 64bit G5

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast