Thread: Loading Epson NX230 Drivers into Ubuntu 10.04

Beans

Angry Loading Epson NX230 Drivers into Ubuntu 10.04

Searched the site and found some help with loading drivers... went to this site
    http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/spc/DL1.do downloaded the .rpm and .deb files.

Performed the following from the command line... seemed to load OK

losee@Losee-desktop:~$ # rpm -i /losee/Download Temp/Epson NX230 Drivers/epson-inkjet-printer-201108w-1.0.0-1lsb3.2.i486.rpm
    losee@Losee-desktop:~$ # dpkg -i /losee/Download Temp/Epson NX230 Drivers/epson-inkjet-printer-201108w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_i386.deb
    losee@Losee-desktop:~$

Went to the CUPS site to register the printer (NX230) and load the .ppd.gz file... that seems to go OK.

When I try to print a Test Page from either the CUPS site or directly from the System/Administration/Printing... menu, I get the following printer configuration error:

Missing Printer Driver
    Printer 'NX230' requires the '/opt/epson_inkjet_printer_filter' program but it is not currently installed.

I believe that program file is part of the .rpm, but not sure. Obviously I either failed to load something properly or I need to find that file and load it. At this point I am spinning in circles and likely doing more harm than good.

Note that I had an Epson NX515 connected wirelessly and it worked fine until it suddenly gave up the ghost. Initially this NX230 POS "kinda" worked using a Ubuntu driver for another Epson model available locally through the settings tab, but color registration was off... so today I decided to "fix it right"... what a mistake.

Though I am new to Linux, I am familiar with using a command line having started with computers when OS required the use of DOS... but its been a loooooong time.

Any assistance/ direction is appreciated... including instruction on how to wipe the printer install slate clean and start from square one.

Thanks,
    Marc

Beans

Re: Loading Epson NX230 Drivers into Ubuntu 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by Old Stang View Post
    Searched the site and found some help with loading drivers... went to this site
    http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/spc/DL1.do downloaded the .rpm and .deb files.

Performed the following from the command line... seemed to load OK

losee@Losee-desktop:~$ # rpm -i /losee/Download Temp/Epson NX230 Drivers/epson-inkjet-printer-201108w-1.0.0-1lsb3.2.i486.rpm
    losee@Losee-desktop:~$ # dpkg -i /losee/Download Temp/Epson NX230 Drivers/epson-inkjet-printer-201108w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_i386.deb
    losee@Losee-desktop:~$

Went to the CUPS site to register the printer (NX230) and load the .ppd.gz file... that seems to go OK.

When I try to print a Test Page from either the CUPS site or directly from the System/Administration/Printing... menu, I get the following printer configuration error:

Missing Printer Driver
    Printer 'NX230' requires the '/opt/epson_inkjet_printer_filter' program but it is not currently installed.

I believe that program file is part of the .rpm, but not sure. Obviously I either failed to load something properly or I need to find that file and load it. At this point I am spinning in circles and likely doing more harm than good.

Note that I had an Epson NX515 connected wirelessly and it worked fine until it suddenly gave up the ghost. Initially this NX230 POS "kinda" worked using a Ubuntu driver for another Epson model available locally through the settings tab, but color registration was off... so today I decided to "fix it right"... what a mistake.

Though I am new to Linux, I am familiar with using a command line having started with computers when OS required the use of DOS... but its been a loooooong time.

Any assistance/ direction is appreciated... including instruction on how to wipe the printer install slate clean and start from square one.

Thanks,
    Marc
    Bueller? ... anyone?

Beans

Let me rephrase: How can I load the drivers so that I don't get the listed error message (see previous post) and enable me to use my printer?

Thanks.

Beans

You don't need the .rpm since it isn't intended for Debian based systems like Ubuntu.

Since the file epson_inkjet_printer_filter is supplied by the drivers package you downloaded, my first guess would be that something didn't go right. The spaces in the file path are a slight worry.

First of all the .deb file you downloaded seems to be the correct one if you have a 32 bit install of Ubuntu. If not download this one:- epson-inkjet-printer-201108w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
    Try right clicking on the package file and choose 'Open with GDebi Package installer', or the Software Centre if it is installed on 10.04 (it may be worded differently on 10.04) and see what happens.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stoneage View Post
    You don't need the .rpm since it isn't intended for Debian based systems like Ubuntu.

Since the file epson_inkjet_printer_filter is supplied by the drivers package you downloaded, my first guess would be that something didn't go right. The spaces in the file path are a slight worry.

First of all the .deb file you downloaded seems to be the correct one if you have a 32 bit install of Ubuntu. If not download this one:- epson-inkjet-printer-201108w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
    Try right clicking on the package file and choose 'Open with GDebi Package installer', or the Software Centre if it is installed on 10.04 (it may be worded differently on 10.04) and see what happens.
    Stoneage,

I can't thank you enough. You were correct on several points...
    the 32 bit .deb file was the right one;
    my install was somehow flawed;
    the 'Open with GDebi installer' worked like a champ!

All is well in my printer world now. Thank you!

Regards,
    Marc