Thread: Acer Aspire One 725 netbook

Hybrid View

Beans

Acer Aspire One 725 netbook

I just bought an Acer Aspire One 725 netbook. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on it - there are two problems I ran into.

1 - The touchpad
    The touchpad worked fine out of the box (it was disabled by default) but pressing fn+F7 solved that. After applying some updates however the touchpad wasn't working anymore. I found some solutions here on the forums but multitouch still doesn't work. It's usable but scrolling is a pain sometimes..

2 - Suspend mode
    The default driver worked fine (with suspend and all that) but the screen brightness could not be changed. I installed AMD's driver - the brightness settings could be set then, but the suspend mode no longer worked. So at this point I have to chose one or the other I guess..

I'm looking for solutions on the forums, but all and all I definetly recommend you to give this netbook a chance. Everything else is flawless and Ubuntu runs like a charm. <3

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire One 725 netbook

* Quick update, I upgraded my ubuntu 12.04 to 12.10 - my touchpad issue seems to be fixed. The brightness settings still don't work.
    Last edited by peteremmm; September 28th, 2012 at 10:49 PM.

Beans

I have the same problem, and I notice that it is not the only thing. Try closing the netbook, and you'll see that Ubuntu is suspended, but when you open exits Sleep? I've installed my Ubuntu 3 times, and I assure you that's not a problem of the installation, but the distro ... I partially solved my problem with the touchpad, it works but not recognized at all. In a beginning It recognized the touchpad, but the strange thing is that when I installed AMD drivers stopped being recognized. Have you tried disabling ADM drivers? I'll try it now, do not tell anything. I'll try it right now ... NO I like to change operating systems, I want to leave my Ubuntu 12.04 fully functional for about three years, at least. And it bothers me to be changing reintalar distribution and all my programs one by one. I Speak Spanish, so i'm using the translator of google, sorry if I have mistakes!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation Re: Acer Aspire One 725 netbook

I've reported the touchpad bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...0/+bug/1058346
    Please add details and mark it as affecting you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sorry to hijack this thread after a couple of months of quiet.

I also have an AAO725 and have not managed to get the microphone working satisfactorily. Does this work for you peteremmm and joncar94 ? Did you do anything to fix ? So far I've only managed to find this post which works... but I get a really annoying hum.

Oddly enough, my touchpad needs turning on every time that I login but works fine. As does suspend on closing. (I'm using xubuntu... maybe xfce magically fixes these two problems!?)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by green0eggs View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread after a couple of months of quiet.

I also have an AAO725 and have not managed to get the microphone working satisfactorily. Does this work for you peteremmm and joncar94 ? Did you do anything to fix ? So far I've only managed to find this post which works... but I get a really annoying hum.

Oddly enough, my touchpad needs turning on every time that I login but works fine. As does suspend on closing. (I'm using xubuntu... maybe xfce magically fixes these two problems!?)

I was having problems with the brightness controls and I loaded the 13.04 32bit beta and the brightness controls and microphone work fine. It isn't super stable but, I can live with it....