Thread: Not enough support from Adobe?

Beans

Re: Why does Adobe hate us?

“The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.”

Carl Sagan

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuxpcplus View Post
    No matter how you look at it, it all boils down to rigid corporate bs.
    No sensible business man will ever shun a market that generates them money, it would be extremely stupid of them. Emotion does not come into play here.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

semperfried76,

Try digiKam. Install the latest version 3.1.0 (?). I have CS5 on two w7 computers, occasionally use gimp for simple manipulations, and found the 3.0 digiKam to be closer to CS5 (this, for the short time I allowed my Acer 1410 to run Unity (fell back to Xubuntu, which I like and use).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I wish Gimp, Inkscape, Scribus was more like a software suite. Right now they are (largely) working independently of each other. If they joined forces I believe they could be a serious contender to Adobe.

Also, there are a few technical limitations to the aforementioned programs that needs to be solved before they can become a 100% viable alternative to Adobe for professionals. Scribus is perhaps the most mature of these programs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

And, AGAIN, the primary reason for no Photoshop on Linux: there is no market. Linux users are still not willing to pay for commercial software.
    So Lightworks must be crazy.
    One poster said something like "For the same cost of an average Mac he could buy a high powered PC and no licensing problems"
    If you are going to be creative, especially with video, raw horsepower is what you want and not something that is just shiny.
    Dream on Adobe!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So Lightworks must be crazy.
    The name of the company is Editshare, and them being crazy is entirely possible.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by aspergerian View Post
    semperfried76,

Try digiKam. Install the latest version 3.1.0 (?). I have CS5 on two w7 computers, occasionally use gimp for simple manipulations, and found the 3.0 digiKam to be closer to CS5 (this, for the short time I allowed my Acer 1410 to run Unity (fell back to Xubuntu, which I like and use).
    [offtopic]Why can't you run digikam on Xubuntu?[/offtopic]

Beans

Adobe doesn't hate us they just did the math and came to the conclusion that the development cost would be greater than the potential gains.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

I don't think they hate us; I think they just don't enjoy our perticular cup of tea. Adobe does support open-standards but their track record with flash is questionable at best.
    Pepper is good but where is the porting to other browsers like Firefox, Konceqerer Icescape and miro or something.. (I can't think of the rest).
    I do realise that most of those browsers I just metioned run with Webkit but flash is a different matter.

All of the points the Senior Photoshop Engineer is making in that fourm post are either fixed (Ubuntu Software Centre, Steam4Linux) or in the process of being fixed (Wayland, Linux Standard Base, Open Desktop standardisation). Maybe he just doesn't seem to understand or appreatiate the underying principles with FOSS or the open-source way.

The only reason I use GNU/Linux is because the fuctionally its better than the alternitives in my opinion. He apitamises the perseption that the FOSS/Open-source world has. That all we want is free $oftware... That is compleate and utter rubbish. I will only pay for quality software thats at a good price, That isn't bugy to the point of being destuctive of your data, and being relitivly good or exciting. be it open source or propitetary.

So I don't think the question is Why does Adobe hate us? I think it should be: Why don't Adobe love us?

P.S. Sorry for the spelling no spell-check in new fourms!!!
    bertie

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    I wish Gimp, Inkscape, Scribus was more like a software suite. Right now they are (largely) working independently of each other. If they joined forces I believe they could be a serious contender to Adobe.

Also, there are a few technical limitations to the aforementioned programs that needs to be solved before they can become a 100% viable alternative to Adobe for professionals. Scribus is perhaps the most mature of these programs.
    Have you seen calligra suite? It's got a raster editor, vector editor, and the word processor is much more DTP-oriented than most others. It's probably not feature-complete enough yet to rival some of these other programs, but it's probably more likely that it will get features than that three independent foss projects will join into a single project.

BTW, I think this thread really needs a few more people telling the OP that Adobe's behavior is driven by business decisions rather than emotion. I don't think the first four pages of this thread drove that point home quite enough.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast