Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not enough support from Adobe?

Beans

Not enough support from Adobe?

I am a subscriber to Adobe's cloud services, as it gives me access to their entire Creative Suite, an invaluable set of tools. I am also a recent Ubuntu convert, after having dabble with it for a little over a decade, and using it for several years as my server OS of choice. My question is this- Mac OSX is built on BSD, a stone's throw away from Linux, so close in architecture that they share a great deal of the same tools: Why do they shun the Linux community? I really hate having to run CS6 on a virtual machine suffering the glitches inherent with virtual graphics drivers, but at the same time, I despise the thought of having to go back to Windows, and losing things like apt-get, multiple desktops, bash, the wealth of easily set-up programming tools that I can use to compile just about any language, the LAMP stack, rvm, etc... I cannot afford to drop twice as much as I would on a PC on a Mac, so that's out of the question too. I've heard for years that GIMP and Inkscape are viable alternatives to Photoshop and Illustrator, but as a longtime user of all of them, I have to say I don't share that opinion (cue OSS-fanatic forum hate in 3...2...1...), GIMP is great at some things that Photoshop doesn't do, but sucks at everything it can do, by comparison, anyways, and I don't see how anyone in their right mind can tell me that Inkscape is a better vector graphics editor than Illustrator, especially when Illustrator can be so neatly tied into my workflow with InDesign and Acrobat.

So, why no love, Adobe?

I love you.

I pay for your product.

Please make a Linux port of CS6 (or if that's not possible, CS7).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Why does Adobe hate us?

For similar reasons, Richard Stallman has for steam on linux, I don't think its a good idea to make Gnu/Linux and distros like Ubuntu full of non free software. I'm not extremist like Stallman though, I don't mind Microsoft making non free software as long as they don't obstruct the progress of free software. I also prefer having a non free driver on Linux as opposed to none at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

OS/X uses the BSD kernel. But GUI toolkits are a whole different issue. So porting a complex GUI app like photoshop from OS/X to GTK or QT is not a trivial task. They don't hate us, they are just lazy as hell. If desktop Linux had enough of a user share of graphic designers, then it would motivate adobe to port to Linux, but until then, they have no reason to do it.

GIMP is free as opposed to paid photoshop. It runs in Linux and is used by plenty of professionals. It is not a "replacement" but it is very decent at what it does. Of course, if you really, really prefer photoshop and can't get it to run in WINE, then you would need to use another OS.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

Not to defend Adobe, but 5 minutes of research and you would have known Adobe does not support Linux before you made the switch from Windows.

In your case, Adobe would not make a penny from a Linux port, since you are already a subscriber, correct? Therefore there is no financial incentive for them to do so, and since they are a for-profit company... you see my point.

Beans

Money talks. If you want Adobe to port their products to Linux call them and cancel your subscription and let them know you're canceling because they don't support Linux.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's not that they hate Linux, it's that they love positive ROI's (Hi, KiwiNZ ). Until any given desktop Linux distro is confirmably more than (probably) 10% of the market, few if any of the more mainstream commercial software companies are likely to invest in it -- least of all Adobe. Marketshare is key. On the other hand, if some multi-millionaire or billionaire (like, oh, I don't know who) were to pay Adobe to port their software to a linux distribution (like, oh, I don't know -- maybe Ubuntu?) instead of paying Russians for jaunts into outer space (just as a completely arbitrary example) Ubuntu would have Photoshop. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by neu5eeCh; September 26th, 2012 at 04:46 PM.

Beans

I don't think Adobe is on this forum. Maybe you should send them an email if you want this question actually answered, instead of being used as a springboard for an Adobe flamefest.

Beans

Snowpine: Duh.
    I've been using Linux since before it was easy to get network support on a consumer grade machine, back in the winmodem days. I'm not saying this like it's a new thing, like "OMG IT"S SUCH A SHOCK I CAN"T RUN PHOTOSHOP!". It just seems like that because I am new to actually posting in the forums. It also seems to me that Adobe could make quite a bit of money supporting linux, as I've seen literally thousands of requests for this very thing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    I don't think Adobe is on this forum. Maybe you should send them an email if you want this question actually answered, instead of being used as a springboard for an Adobe flamefest.
    Question was less for Adobe and more for the community, I've already posted to Adobe forums, and they seem disinterested, to say the least- they are pointing those who ask for a Linux port to a third-party forum, because Linux users asking for a CS port were clogging up their own forums- said third-party forum has the support of over 10k readers, but still Adobe claims that the market share of Adobe users on Linux is minimal. Duh- it's minimal because we can't get their product to run on our OS, not because we'd rather use Windows or Linux. Adobe claims to love all platforms, let them prove it.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by semperfried76 View Post
    It also seems to me that Adobe could make quite a bit of money supporting linux, as I've seen literally thousands of requests for this very thing.
    It may "seem" that way, but I'm sure the bean counters at Adobe have done the math. I personally doubt that you've "literally" seen thousands of requests and I seriously doubt that those "thousands" of requests would translate into sales. The following is from the Adobe website:

Again, we've done the research. The profits aren't there -- very few Linux users are willing to pay for commercial software.
    And the cost of entry is still high because of the fragmented Linux landscape.

The Linux world has to change before commercial software will have reason to invest in Linux ports.
    And we haven't seen much real change in the Linux market in several years.
    There is a big difference between calls for something, and a market willing to pay for that thing.
    Think about how many people want an Italian sports car, versus how many are willing to actually pay for them.

Sadly, people willing to pay a few dollars for small games does not translate into professionals willing to pay hundreds of dollars for desktop software.

Yes, Adobe would have a lot to lose: everything it spent on making the port, advertising money spent, etc. And it is not a stalemate -- the ball is in the Linux court. Linux developers and users can pick the ball up and join the game, or keep playing solo.
    The cost doesn't appear to be "prohibitively high" for people using Photoshop professionally. And Photoshop is a professional product, not a consumer product.

The fact that Linux users are not will to pay for software is quite valid, and backed up by a lot of market research. A few anecdotes don't change that fact.

Again, the Linux developers and users need to step up to make Linux a viable platform for commercial software. It has to make some business sense before a business will invest anything in the effort.
    Yes, we've asked about users willing to switch.
    Really, there aren't that many.

But we'll keep asking, and hoping that the Linux community develops.
    I'm a Senior Engineer on the Photoshop team.
    Photoshop's codebase is 20 years old, but constantly cleaned and refactored. Our codebase is C++, and pretty portable. That has nothing to do with not porting to Linux.

I doubt that the research is well published, since marketing research is usually perfomed by well paid research companies (and they want to keep getting paid). I see the research done every year or two, and the results barely change with respect to Linux users.

Linux still lacks standards for color management or fonts, and just barely has standards for printing. Things like tablet support are more than a little hacked, and drivers are still a nightmare. And that's just the problems I can see from occasional use, I'm sure there are more. And where is the standard UI toolkit (currently you can pick from 6 or more bad choices based on the mistakes of X Windows)?

Stabilizing the OS and adopting standards would make Linux more attractive to ports (and to write anything more complicated than command line apps). It would also be far more attractive when code can run on more than one distribution of the OS without major effort.

Yes, Linux devs without experience on other platforms might find the facts hard to swallow. But Linux is not a single OS, but a kernel used in many fragmented OSes with few standards.

And, AGAIN, the primary reason for no Photoshop on Linux: there is no market. Linux users are still not willing to pay for commercial software. You have to solve that problem before you'll get serious commerical applications.
    Solving the standards problems would make Linux more attractive to developers, and then you might get more users. Right now, the sets of Linux users and developers are overlapping a little too much (when app tutorials start with "download these 8 packages and build them", you've got a problem).
    And there you have it, agree or not, straight from the horse's mouth.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast