Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Not enough support from Adobe?

Beans

Re: Why does Adobe hate us?

As has been previously stated, it is only about profit.

This is an excellent read which broad brushes the Apple/Adobe history, both companies which are primarily interested in profit (like 99% of all companies anyway!):

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/0...dobe-vs-apple/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Gimp currently has a lot of cool stuff coming down the pipeline that can now occur due to the migration to GEGL. Especially support for high colour depth which allows lots of image processing without losing colour accuracy. Several photographers have said this is a must have feature that stops them from seriously using GIMP. While GIMP may always be behind photoshop I see it is rapidly going to acquire the features that photographers really need.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by semperfried76 View Post
    as it gives me access to their entire Creative Suite, an invaluable set of tools.
    ... an yet you have moved to linux?

Mac OSX is built on BSD, a stone's throw away from Linux, so close in architecture that they share a great deal of the same tools:
    who told you that?

apt-get,
    highly overrated

multiple desktops,
    you can have them on windows

bash,
    see above

the wealth of easily set-up programming tools that I can use to compile just about any language,
    code written in how many languages do you manage?

the LAMP stack,
    xampp

Photoshop doesn't do, but sucks at everything it can do, by comparison, anyways, and I don't see how anyone in their right mind can tell me that Inkscape is a better vector graphics editor than Illustrator
    I cannot understand why someone in their right mind can change operating system and than be surprised that programs written for one system don't work on another... especially when that person is familiar with term "operating system"

I love you.
    if you feel anything to your tools, you should seek medical advice...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cox
    And, AGAIN, the primary reason for no Photoshop on Linux: there is no market. Linux users are still not willing to pay for commercial software. You have to solve that problem before you'll get serious commerical applications.
    While drivers, printing and a general set of standards is a big issue for companies like Adobe, MONEY is the main issue here.

I've run across many Linux users who strictly adhere to no proprietary apps/drivers/fonts, etc on their Linux OS. "If it isn't 100% FOSS, it isn't true GNU/Linux." I've seen variations of that phrase on many a forum. Until that attitude changes (and I doubt it ever will), companies like Adobe, Apple (iTunes), Sony (AcidPRO) will steer clear of Linux distributions.
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spellbinder View Post
    While drivers, printing and a general set of standards is a big issue for companies like Adobe, MONEY is the main issue here.

I've run across many Linux users who strictly adhere to no proprietary apps/drivers/fonts, etc on their Linux OS. "If it isn't 100% FOSS, it isn't true GNU/Linux." I've seen variations of that phrase on many a forum. Until that attitude changes (and I doubt it ever will), companies like Adobe, Apple (iTunes), Sony (AcidPRO) will steer clear of Linux distributions.
    I'm not entirely sure that's fair. I've seen several people who run Windows with a complete Microsoft Office suite, AutoCad and anything else you want, and they paid not one cent for it. How do I know? They told me. Same thing goes for music and movies downloaded of the net.

I think this attitude is a form of rage against the machine, people who see capitalism as an evil when all it is is formalized bartering.

You're right in the sense that Linux attracts that sort of person simply by saying everything is "free" and that's all they need to hear, whether their interpretation of it is correct or not.

Speaking as a programmer, the lack of general standards in the area you intend to interface with an OS is a big deal. I'm not a UNIX programmer so I didn't really know all that. Yes, money is a big motivator -- even for companies and individuals who write open source. But it's not the only thing.

Beans

Why did I go from the Military to Government IT, to Private Enterprise IT ? money I could earn considerably more in IT and in particular Private Enterprise so like Corporations I did it for profit.

I left IT however and entered Urban Rescue then Volunteer Urban Rescue as I have retired form full time work.

I now do contract Restructuring and Change Management Consultancy again for profit. So like Adobe, Apple, MSFT, Canonical etc etc etc being it for profit is a good thing and an advantage to all who use IT.

So Adobe does not hate us, they just have no way to make a profit from us currently.
    This account is not active.

Beans

You beat me to it.

Anyways, imho you can live without Adobe for most things.

The only thing I kind of like is Lightroom but honestly I can do most of what I need in other programs that don't require love from Adobe on my ubuntu machine.

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Not to defend Adobe, but 5 minutes of research and you would have known Adobe does not support Linux before you made the switch from Windows.

In your case, Adobe would not make a penny from a Linux port, since you are already a subscriber, correct? Therefore there is no financial incentive for them to do so, and since they are a for-profit company... you see my point.

Beans

I have to agree on this as well. I love the latest update from GIMP, but with wine installed I also use an old copy of Paint Shop Pro 7.x and all of the filter/photo enhancements I need are taken care of.

I really need to play with GIMP and Inkscape more, but for now I can do everything I need without Adobe gear.

Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
    Gimp currently has a lot of cool stuff coming down the pipeline that can now occur due to the migration to GEGL. Especially support for high colour depth which allows lots of image processing without losing colour accuracy. Several photographers have said this is a must have feature that stops them from seriously using GIMP. While GIMP may always be behind photoshop I see it is rapidly going to acquire the features that photographers really need.

Beans

I've never liked Adobe. It didn't surprise me at all when they fail to support Linux.

I can't wait till we no longer have to use Flash for internet. I just can't wait.

Beans

No matter how you look at it, it all boils down to rigid corporate bs. Adobe, Microsoft, & others are losing out on a vast & rapidly growing share of the market by refusing to support Linux. Take a look at Steam if you want proof. In the month or so it's official Linux release, the Steam Linux client has been downloaded tens of thousands of times. Just think it if adobe made creative cloud Linux compatible. Take $30/month subscription & mulitply it by 10,000. Not a small chunk of change & I have no doubt they would see 10 times that many downloads/subscriptions by linux users in the first 2-3 months!
    Butr companies like Adobe & Microsoft are to damn chicken to take the leap. They gives these b.s. lines that there is not enough market share, but a post on their own community forums shows more than 25,000 votes for this in the last 6 months alone!
    Maybe someday these corporate retards will remember that excluding large market segments screws them out of millions of dollars of potential revenue! But for now, we Linux users are screwed & are restricted to running either vm's for this product, dual booting winblows, or finding and using the closest alternatives we can find.
    Adobe Creative Cloud is an aswesome set of software, but only if you want to suffer with the shoddy but expensive OS we knows as Winblows!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast