Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not enough support from Adobe?

Beans

Re: Why does Adobe hate us?

The don't hate us, they like to and are required to make a profit on products.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    It may "seem" that way, but I'm sure the bean counters at Adobe have done the math. I personally doubt that you've "literally" seen thousands of requests and I seriously doubt that those "thousands" of requests would translate into sales. The following is from the Adobe website:

And there you have it, agree or not, straight from the horse's mouth.

+1.

<rant>

Free software, in reference to Open Source, means "free to use and modify" not "no monetary charge." FOSS was initially for programmers who intended to contribute code back, not just people who have an aversion for spending money for something. The premise that in order to install Linux you need some old box that isn't useful with Windows on it anymore is still way too commonly held.

Frankly in my experience, Linux costs more in the long run than Windows or Mac. Take whatever your hourly earnings are at work, and multiply that by however many hours you spend "configuring" your Linux box when it would have just worked on some commercial operating system. If you come up with fewer dollars than the price of a brand new Mac, then you haven't been using Linux very long, or you're unemployed.

I have bought commercial software on Linux, and commercial Windows-based software when my sole intent was to run it through Crossover Office, and will do so again if I have need. I choose Linux because it is a better fit for what I do and the way I do it. I buy hardware brand new, piecemeal, and assemble it, and put Linux on it. I can't remember the last time I installed Linux over the top of an existing commercial OS, it has been more than 10 years.

I would rather use an Open Source alternative if a suitable one exists, but the idea that I might do without an application altogether when the only available alternatives are commercial quality, commercially licensed products is insane.

The idea though that some company like Adobe would develop professional software for a platform where nobody wants to pay for anything at all is laughable. The only way that would happen is if:
    1. The movers and shakers in the Linux community stop encouraging developers to build Open Source versions of apps that look and act just like the commercial product they are intended to compete with. Instead, develop new tools which solve the same problems in a new way, and make the commercial alternatives react to FOSS for a change.
    2. The Linux community would suddenly be seen as full of professionals who have exacting standards and a desire to get the job done properly and legally even if the license is not free.
    3. A large number of regular consumers started using it.
    4. The people who want free (dollars free, not OSF free) software whether it's copyrighted or not would go somewhere else, or at least be seen as a small minority.

In my very strong opinion, Open Source should work hand in hand with commercial software without flaw or bias. People who insist on Open Source can and should be able to choose only Open Source and build their entire system from it, but they should not try to force all open source distributions to limit access to commercial software. There are plenty of distros out there that try to limit access to commercial software. This is not one of them. If you don't like that then go find another distro.

</rant>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

IF and when The Cloud reaches it's projected goal, there will BE NO difference to the cloud user what OPERATING SYSTEM is on their computer, as almost everything will be done in the cloud via the browser.

Adobe, at present, really does not care about less than 2% of the desktop computer users. Putting money into porting for Linux when they are going to go the way of the browser/cloud computing makes no financial sense at all.

And I see references to GIMP again. Gimp is fine if you already KNOW what you are doing .. there is a lot of on line help available, but a lot of that help assumes you already know a lot about the program .. which MOST do NOT. And there are few classes offered by educational institutions in using GIMP .. whereas there ARE classes for Photo Shop and other Adobe programs (granted, expensive in most cases, but classes none the less.) Unless you are a Senior Citizen and your local Senior Center offer low priced or free classes. The center in my town DOES offer classes .. from baby steps to journeymen level .. expert level is you are on your own.

Beans

Yeah, Gimp vs Photoshop.

They're both the same to me because I'm equally incompetent with both of them.

My sister is a professional photographer. She took the Photoshop course, or maybe several for all I know. She had it on her Windows laptop and then after awhile upgraded to one of the huge iMacs. She didn't have the spare money at the time to buy Photoshop all over again, so I installed Gimp for her for the month or so she needed to wait.

She gave it a good try, and made do for that month. Then when she got Photoshop, she showed me the difference by using both tools on the same photo to do things that needed to be done for her customers.

Gimp is NOT equal to Photoshop. Even I as a rank amateur can see that after having a professional show me.
    1. The tools/controls you would use together on Photoshop are all easily reachable from the same place. Not so on Gimp.
    2. The controls on Photoshop have a reasonable real-world minimum and maximum, and the entire travel of a slider is useful. The same slider on Gimp goes from zero to 100%, even if the useful range is 70-80%, and so you have an extremely good chance of doing more harm than good to your image, or you will spend a lot more time trying to fiddle with it.

Gimp is an example of a tool written by a bunch of programmers who don't really understand the problem to be solved. Contrast that with Apache Web Server, where the free software is simply the best at what it does, bar none. The programmers knew exactly what they wanted and worked their rears off to get it, and did the job better than anyone else in the world.

Gimp is fine for me, because I am not a professional photographer and I don't ever intend to be one. I don't know what most of those controls are even for, let alone how to use them. For others in my skill range, Gimp is fine, and I would never spend the cash for a professionally oriented tool when I have no more than a passing interest in using it. I snap pictures with my phone and let the world see how bad a photographer I am.

On the other hand, anything relating to my job is a totally different story. You gotta spend it to make it. That goes for time and money.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Linux still lacks standards for color management or fonts, and just barely has standards for printing. Things like tablet support are more than a little hacked, and drivers are still a nightmare. And that's just the problems I can see from occasional use, I'm sure there are more. And where is the standard UI toolkit (currently you can pick from 6 or more bad choices based on the mistakes of X Windows)?.
    I think this is probably the best answer I've heard yet. Really, If we can't get a CS6 port, this would probably be the best reason. Thanks for posting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    Yeah, Gimp vs Photoshop.

They're both the same to me because I'm equally incompetent with both of them.

My sister is a professional photographer. She took the Photoshop course, or maybe several for all I know. She had it on her Windows laptop and then after awhile upgraded to one of the huge iMacs. She didn't have the spare money at the time to buy Photoshop all over again, so I installed Gimp for her for the month or so she needed to wait.

She gave it a good try, and made do for that month. Then when she got Photoshop, she showed me the difference by using both tools on the same photo to do things that needed to be done for her customers.

Gimp is NOT equal to Photoshop. Even I as a rank amateur can see that after having a professional show me.
    1. The tools/controls you would use together on Photoshop are all easily reachable from the same place. Not so on Gimp.
    2. The controls on Photoshop have a reasonable real-world minimum and maximum, and the entire travel of a slider is useful. The same slider on Gimp goes from zero to 100%, even if the useful range is 70-80%, and so you have an extremely good chance of doing more harm than good to your image, or you will spend a lot more time trying to fiddle with it.

Gimp is an example of a tool written by a bunch of programmers who don't really understand the problem to be solved. Contrast that with Apache Web Server, where the free software is simply the best at what it does, bar none. The programmers knew exactly what they wanted and worked their rears off to get it, and did the job better than anyone else in the world.

Gimp is fine for me, because I am not a professional photographer and I don't ever intend to be one. I don't know what most of those controls are even for, let alone how to use them. For others in my skill range, Gimp is fine, and I would never spend the cash for a professionally oriented tool when I have no more than a passing interest in using it. I snap pictures with my phone and let the world see how bad a photographer I am.

On the other hand, anything relating to my job is a totally different story. You gotta spend it to make it. That goes for time and money.
    Too right. Don't get me wrong, for what it is, GIMP is an excellent tool, but it really can't compare with Photoshop. The GIMP devs should not feel bad though, even Corel's tools really can't compare to Adobe's, in my opinion. I've used all of them, at one time or another, and I keep going back to Adobe- it's just too good to quit using it, and as a professional designer, I'd be foolish to do so. When I don't need to worry about heavy editing, (for instance, if I just need to crop or resize an image) GIMP is fine, and can even be quicker than using photoshop even on a native platform, but for anything else, there's no substitute for the real thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Adobe doesn't make anything I am really all that interesting I am afraid......... now Valve is a different a matter!

And dn't knock Gimp is really is a powerful tool... great with my wacom tablet too!

Beans

You might find this interesting, although the support database isn't too promising:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi...hop&search=app

The interesting part is that if you REALLY want the app to work, you can commission them to make it work. I don't know how much that costs, it could be exorbitant or it could be reasonable for all I know. Click on the "porting" tab on top.

The app in question is Crossover Office. It's the commercial version of Wine. It's basically Wine with Windows libraries needed to run the software you want. It's legal, the fee you pay pays for the licensing of the DLLs.

I've used this before, had a business requirement to run a Microsoft product in the Office suite.

On a lark, I just tried the wine database, and that seems to be more promising than the Crossover site:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ication&iId=17

They show a "silver" rating for version 6, and I also punched "photoshop" into their site search and noticed that there seems to be a photoshop group there. You probably want to look at that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    Free software, in reference to Open Source, means "free to use and modify" not "no monetary charge." FOSS was initially for programmers who intended to contribute code back, not just people who have an aversion for spending money for something.
    For better or worse, "free as in freedom" winds up being "free as in beer" whenever getting a copy of the object code is just a make file away.

While it's true that the Linux crowd has a historically earned a reputation for not wanting to pay for software, as it grows to reflect a broader demographic we're seeing a shift with such attitudes. Not everyone is religious about The Four Freedoms, and it seems at least some Linux fans are very willing to pay to support good software:

Linux Users Pay More for Humble Bundles than Mac/Windows Ones
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux...s-294778.shtml

TenPlus1 is online now Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Post Re: Why does Adobe hate us?

Am using latest Google Chrome on linux and it has Pepper Flash 11.4 working fine for me...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast