Thread: Lenovo BGN Wireless, ubuntu friendly?

Beans

Lenovo BGN Wireless, ubuntu friendly?

I'm looking at the Lenovo G780 laptop:
    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/laptops/es.../g-series/g780

The wireless appears to be "Lenovo BGN Wireless"

from what I know often the laptop distributor (e.g Dell) doesn't manufacture the wireless device, so I don't know what this wireless is, and if it'll will work with Ubuntu.

Couldn't find any info on it so far.

Anyone have any idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Lenovo BGN Wireless, ubuntu friendly?

Deleted.
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; September 28th, 2012 at 07:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Deleted.
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; September 28th, 2012 at 07:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think you are correct to be concerned about wireless functioning. Who knows what "Lenovo BGN" is? Is it a rebranded Intel/Broadcom/who-knows chip? If possible, make sure there's not a restocking fee on a return. Stores in the U.S. used to charge a 10%-15% restocking fee and put a 2 week return limit on notebooks, cameras and some other electronics to discourage "free rentals".

Your other choice would be, if the onboard wireless is nonfunctional would be to use a known-to-work nano USB wifi adapter such as the Edimax ew7811Un. They're pretty unobtrusive.

Beans
    Distro

Deleted.
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; September 28th, 2012 at 07:33 PM.

Beans

Some news:

I called the Lenovo tech support and managed to find out that the wireless device for G780 (labeled as "Lenovo BGN wireless") is either Atheros or Broadcom.

They also told its 11 b/g/n

They said the exact model of the Broadcom is not known until order.
    and the Atheros model is AR8162

They said that I can specify I want Atheros upon ordering

From googling I found:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1046435 - says it's not compatible

http://askubuntu.com/questions/15722...atheros-ar8162 - this guy managed to fix it

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2050126 - also this guy

Looks like it won't work out of the box, right?
    Probably better then Broadcom though, right?

Beans
    Distro

I've not dealt with that Atheros chip so I can't say. It sometimes takes a while for support for new chipsets to appear for linux. Personally I'd probably opt for Atheros over Broadcom but I have no experience with the latest chips from either manufacturer. Looking at this page:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/colla...networking/alx

it looks like the Atheros 8162 is a fast ethernet e.g. wired ethernet chip. I wonder if the driver works on wireless as well. There's always NDISwapper though my experience with NDISwrapper hasn't been sterling. Another consideration is that NDISwrapper only works with Windows XP drivers and the 'bitness' has to match. If the linux O.S. is 64 bit NDISwrapper would require Windows XP 64 bit drivers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I've not dealt with that Atheros chip so I can't say. It sometimes takes a while for support for new chipsets to appear for linux. Personally I'd probably opt for Atheros over Broadcom but I have no experience with the latest chips from either manufacturer. Looking at this page:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/colla...networking/alx

it looks like the Atheros 8162 is a fast ethernet e.g. wired ethernet chip. I wonder if the driver works on wireless as well. There's always NDISwapper though my experience with NDISwrapper hasn't been sterling. Another consideration is that NDISwrapper only works with Windows XP drivers and the 'bitness' has to match. If the linux O.S. is 64 bit NDISwrapper would require Windows XP 64 bit drivers.
    Weird, I assume it's wireless too.
    On the product page for G780 there's only one network device, so that eliminates the possibility that the support guy referred to a different device.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fiftyeightz View Post
    Weird, I assume it's wireless too.
    On the product page for G780 there's only one network device, so that eliminates the possibility that the support guy referred to a different device.
    I'm not sure. Other sources also referred to to the Atheros as an ethernet/wired chip. I wonder if the Atheros chip is the wired ethernet and you get whatever Broadcom chip is cheapest that day for wireless. Don't know though. My understanding is that Lenovo is one what whitelists WiFi mini-pci cards so you can't just remove the existing card and substitute just any (Linux compatible) mini-pci card, it has to be 'blessed' by Lenovo.

Beans

I'll be calling Lenovo again, very annoying if they gave me the wrong information