Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to upgrade to 12.04.1 LTS, but should I?

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Looking to upgrade to 12.04.1 LTS, but should I?

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    I can't recommend Lubuntu because of some major issues, but if you want to try, by all means, it's rather lightweight.
    And these major issues are? No problems here.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy K View Post
    Which one would be better to use than? Lubuntu or Xubuntu?
    It's really a personal choice against what works on your hardware and what you like.

My advice would be for you to try Xubuntu first and then Lubuntu if you feel that your PC is not running as fast as it should be.

Will all programs in Ubuntu work in Lubuntu and Xubuntu? Like maybe the mtp-lastfm program that I use to scrobble music to last fm?
    You can install any program you like under any flavour of Ubuntu. Missing dependencies will be installed automatically to allow the program to run.
    Last edited by PaulW2U; September 26th, 2012 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Tried to improve grammar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Which one would be better to use than? Lubuntu or Xubuntu?
    On your machine, I would recommend Lubuntu — it's the lightest. Or you could try Bodhi for an even lighter touch, but Bodhi is not an official part of the Ubuntu family.

Will all programs in Ubuntu work in Lubuntu and Xubuntu? Like maybe the mtp-lastfm program that I use to scrobble music to last fm?
    All applications that work on one will work on the other. That's the good thing about belonging to the Ubuntu family. You may find that your favourite application is not installed (e.g. Firefox or Libre Office), but that's not a problem — just install it from the Lubuntu Software Centre!
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think I might try Xubuntu first, just because it looks better. I have a 500GB External HD so I can put all my files to that before the install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jrog View Post
    That's been my experience, as well, and I have seen rave reviews of Lubuntu all over the place (particularly for 12.04) -- I don't believe I've seen a negative one yet. mikewhatever, what are the "major issues" you're thinking of?
    Well, that's just my personal opinion, so feel free to disagree.
    I've done a little review of Lubuntu 12.04 a while back, and, IFAIK, some of the issues haven't been resolved to this day. I am rather sceptical of "rave reviews", they are usually dunb and worthless.

As this thread is not about the merits of Lubuntu, let's not discuss it here. Feel free to PM me if you have comments.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    Well, that's just my personal opinion, so feel free to disagree.
    I've done a little review of Lubuntu 12.04 a while back, and, IFAIK, some of the issues haven't been resolved to this day. I am rather sceptical of "rave reviews", they are usually dunb and worthless.

As this thread is not about the merits of Lubuntu, let's not discuss it here. Feel free to PM me if you have comments.
    Thanks, that review is helpful. I haven't experienced the stability/crashing issues you mention in the review, but my experience with Lubuntu has been pretty limited.
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans
    Distro

I'm in the process of putting everything important to my EX HDD. When I'm done with that I'll put the ISO image on a disc and be ready to install probably tomorrow sometime.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm in the process of putting everything important to my EX HDD. When I'm done with that I'll put the ISO image on a disc and be ready to install probably tomorrow sometime.
    Let us know how it goes!
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans
    Distro

Having a bit of a problem right now. I changed the boot options to CDROM first and then HDD and at boot it says there's no disc or nothing to boot from that.

Anyways did I burn the iso. image correctly? Because when I have the disc in it shows this: http://i.imgur.com/s4B2B.jpg

I thought it was just supposed to be the ISO image on the disc.

Beans
    Distro

I think I might know what the problem is, I'm pretty sure I was having problems because of this when I first installed 8.04 back in the day. Anyways at startup, it lists how much RAM I have, and it lists it as 256MB. Which is wrong of course because I have 600MB of RAM or so.

Anyways could this be a problem when trying to install?

Also with the disc in the drive it brings up this prompt:

Code:
    A volume with software packages has been detected.
    Would you like to open it with the package manager?
    The options are Cancel or Start Package Manager. Should I go to Package Manager and see if it's possible to install from there?

Also there's another option at boot "click esc to go to menu or setup or something. I can get into CMOS right at the beginning by pressing Delete when it says to. After that page loads it loads the next where the option to click "esc" to go to menu or something along those lines. I have a very limited time to click it, because it's only 2 seconds.
    Last edited by Crazy K; September 27th, 2012 at 11:47 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast