Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: wired says connected but can't connect to the internet

Beans

Re: wired says connected but can't connect to the internet

Okay. Thanks. We didn't try that yet, so we'll try now.

Beans

Didn't work booting from the CD
    Need some more codage ideas

Beans

Ok, I loaded windows xp on my machine and got a hold of someone on the network to try to fix the problem. They said that an ip in the 169.254.xxx.xxx range was forced on my machine and they are trying to figure out why. The gateway still reads as 255.255.0.0. No dns information. So if anyone can give me some clue as to why I was forced that ip address (which cannot connect to the internet) and what that means and what I could do, please let me know.

I have not reloaded ubuntu 11.10 again, but wanted to give you guys that bit of information first to see if it would help.

Supposedly they are trying to find out why I was given that ip address that couldn't connect, but we'll see. Any ideas to try would be greatly appreciated.

Let me know...Thanks.

Beans

nevermind
    Last edited by steeldriver; October 12th, 2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: misunderstood what you were saying (thought you had a working Windows connection via 169.254.xxx.xxx using APIPA)

Beans

right now I have windows loaded, so if you can post the commands for windows that would be great...

otherwise, I tried ipconfig /release

and then ipconfig /renew

but it won't let me renew

I did the link local when ubuntu was installed but it didn't work.

any ideas on how to get a new ip?

Beans

also, in the wndows arrangement, i uninstalled the network card and rebooted, it reinstalled it but then I still could not release then renew an ip.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you are now looking for Windows support with this, please post a thread on a Windows forum. This is a Ubuntu support site.

Beans

ok, in ubuntu...
    please tell me how to clear the 169 ip address.
    I've tried a gazillion different codes. the network is "forcing" the 169 ip.

Beans

...and I just loaded windows so I could get the ip address they were giving me in my apartment situation. I'm sure everyone can see that I want to use ubuntu as that is what my thread has been about all this time.... I'm trying everything I can (including starting with windows). You guys asked me to get the ip, so I got that 169.xxx ip and was giving it to you guys because I'm sure that that ip comes up with ubuntu as well. So I can't relase and renew the ip right now, so if anyone has any ideas that would be appreciated. The not giving up part you can view as a good thing (especially since my knowledge is not up to par with my willing to keep trying). I apologize as well as I do not know the etiquette of the forums nor the proper terminology of many things. I do know that there are people out there who want to keep helping, so I will keep trying to reach out to you people out there who are reading this and want to help out someone who is not an expert....Thank you.

Beans

It's hard to help you since you can't give us any information about how the network is set up

I think we've fairly conclusively established that there is no DHCP server (or at least not one that is responding to your network card) and you don't recall having been given a static IP to use

AFAIK the remaining option is APIPA, which I don't really know anything about, but is a 'link-local' addressing scheme which (as I understand it) provides a way for peers to negotiate non-conflicting IP addresses in the absence of a DHCP server - basically each host guesses an IP in the 169.254.xxx.xxx reserved address range and then tests whether another local device is already using it, if yes it guesses again, if not then it keeps the address. Personally I have only ever seen devices obtaining 169.254.xxx.xxx addresses when they are configured for DHCP but don't get a DHCP offer (which appears to be exactly the case here). In that sense nothing is "forcing" that IP except for the absence of any other options.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast