Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: wired says connected but can't connect to the internet

Beans

Re: wired says connected but can't connect to the internet

I believe it is an internet modem. It comes with where we live and is available to other tenants with their own individual connections. So we never really thought about it. Just googled the model number and that is what it says it is.

Our computer is chugging away, and we can't load umbuntu at all. By the way, how would we get to the command line from just booting the live CD, as opposed to having it installed completely first?

Again, thanks for your patience and any replies at all are appreciated - even if you get back to me later so you aren't taking time waiting here. we've literally been struggling with this for 3 full days.

Beans

Thanks for the patience. Not sure why it took so long. Got it up and running and starting to put in code suggestions.

1) we entered: sudo lshw -C network
    This is what came up:
    *-network description: ethernet interface 3c905c-tx/tx-m [tornado vendor three com corporation physical id:c bus info: pci @00001:0c.0 Logical name eth0 version: 78 serial:00:b0:d0:dc:90:58 size 10mbit/s capcity: 100bit/s width: 32bits clock: 33mhz capability: pm bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10pt-sd 100bt 100bt-sd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on
    space broadcast=yes
    space driver=3c59x duplex=half latency=64 link=yes maxlatency=10 mignnt=10 mutlicast=yes port=MII speed=10mbit/
    resources= irq:11 IOport:ec80(size =128) memory:fdffc00-fdfffczf memory:fe000000-fe01ffff

2) now entered: lspci
    code came back as:
    00:00.0 host bridge: intel corporation 82815 815 chipset host bridge and memory controller hub (rev 2)

00:02.0 vga compatible controller: intel corporation 82815 chipset graphics controller (cgc rev 02)

00:1e.0 pci bridge: intel corporation 82801 pci bridge (rev 02)

00.1f.0: isa bridge intel corporation 82801ba isa bridge (lpc rev 2)

00.1f.1: ide interface intel corporation 82801ba ideu100 controller

00.1f.2: usb controller intel corporation 82801ba/bam usb controller 1 (rev 2)

00.1f.3: SMBus intel corporation 82801ba/bam sbus controller (rev 2)

00.1f.4: usb controller intel corporation 82801ba/bam usb controller 1 (rev 2)

00.1f.5: multimedia audio controller intel corporation 82801ba/bam ac '97 audio controller (rev 2)

01.0c.01 ethernet controller three com corporation 3c905c-tx/tx-M [tornado (rev78)]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

According to this:
    Code:
    *-network   description: ethernet interface 3c905c-tx/tx-m [tornado  vendor three com corporation physical id:c bus info: pci @00001:0c.0    Logical name eth0 version: 78   serial:00:b0:d0:dc:90:58  size 10mbit/s  capcity: 100bit/s  width: 32bits   clock: 33mhz  capability: pm  bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10pt-sd 100bt  100bt-sd autonegotiation 
    configuration: autonegotiation=on
    space broadcast=yes
    space driver=3c59x duplex=half latency=64 link=yes maxlatency=10 mignnt=10 mutlicast=yes port=MII speed=10mbit/  
    resources= irq:11 IOport:ec80(size =12:cool: memory:fdffc00-fdfffczf memory:fe000000-fe01ffff
    All looks good. Driver loaded and broadcasting. Not sure what the 'space' is before 'broadcast' and everything else, though.

Despite what was said earlier, IPv4 Auto, IPv6 Ignore (try it later but for now off). In IPv4 tab, 'Connect Automatically' box ticked and 'Require IPv4 addressing ...' unticked.

This is a modem router or just a modem? You are plugged into the modem? If that is the case, if you have the IP address of the modem you could try pinging it in a terminal by:

Code:
    ping 192.168.0.4
    ... replacing the number with the IP address of the modem (which will have same syntax). That should show signs of life if at least that much is working. If it is then can start working out why you're not getting out. Yes, could be DNS issue.

If you are plugged into modem; can you get to the configuration by putting its IP address into a web browser? You might have to tweak something on the modem.

This is a new setup, right? So it wasn't 'working fine before' with this hardware?
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 25th, 2012 at 09:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Did Bucky's suggestion work for you?

Beans

Thanks.
    I'm going to try it right now and post when done....

Beans

OK, I put in settings you suggested on ip4 automatic, ip6 ignore, connect automatically, etc. I was not able to get an established connection. Also, I did the sudo dhcclient eth0 and nothing happened.

Then I put manual static IP and connection established but the server was still not found when trying to get into Firefox.

I did an ifconfig -a again for curiosity and actually a new set of information came up listed as:
    eth0:avahi
    It also included an inet address of 176.263.9.221
    Broadcast is 176.263.255.255
    mask is 255.255.0.0

Also looked at Network Tools at the ethernet interface it says multicast enabled. But I noticed that the loopback interface said the multicast was disabled. Not sure if this means anything, does it?

I then pinged the IP above. And it came up listed as my computer's name local. I pinged the words "google.com" and it said network not found.

I did a trace route on 176.263.9.221 and it said our computer local reached

I then typed in Route and it came up "kernel ip routing table" see below
    Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    default * 0.0.0.0. u 1002 0 0 eth0
    lin-local * 255.255.0.0 u 1 0 0 eth0

I did a Route -n and got the following:

destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    0.0.0.0. 0000 0.0.0.0. u 1002 0 0 eth0
    176.263.9.221 0000 255.255.0.0 u 1 0 0 eth0

Let me know what to do next. Thank you!

Beans
    Distro

Just thinking out loud here....have you tried a different ethernet cable or another machine on this port that you are using?

Beans

This is the only ethernet cable I have. I used to have another computer - using the same ethernet box/cable. And it worked fine and came up automatically. With this computer, it didn't come up at all and I can only get the ethernet established through a manual connection but no server found when connecting through firefox.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SummerT View Post
    This is the only ethernet cable I have. I used to have another computer - using the same ethernet box/cable. And it worked fine and came up automatically. With this computer, it didn't come up at all and I can only get the ethernet established through a manual connection but no server found when connecting through firefox.
    I found the following from an old forum....looks like there might be a work around as it seems the issue is in the NIC card you have....

1. Before halt module 3c59x needs to be removed and then reload

Without it, the system will not respond to the wol packet
    2. Use pci-config (sudo apt-get install nictools-pci) to put the nic into sleep mode

This will force the system to supply the power to the card when it's switched off, very very important!!!

You need to know the bus and device index for your nic. First you do a "lspci -nn" (without the quote) and looking for the line contains "3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado]". Here is a sample of mine

Code:
       01:0c.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] [10b7:9200] (rev 78)
      The 2 digit at the beginning of the line means the pci bus it's on, in my case 01, i.e. it's on pci bus 1. So write down that pci bus number you just found.

At the end of the line just before "(rev 78 )", there will be some strings looks like "[10b7:9200]" this is the vendor:model number which you also need to write it down.

Now you need to use pci-config to find out the device index of your nic. Issue
      Code:
      sudo pci-config -B $BUS
      where you need to replace $BUS by the one (digit) you wrote down previously, in my case it's 1.
      Code:
           Device #1 at bus 1 device/function 7/0, 036e109e. Device #2 at bus 1 device/function 7/1, 0878109e. Device #3 at bus 1 device/function 8/0, 880014f1. Device #4 at bus 1 device/function 8/2, 880214f1. Device #5 at bus 1 device/function 12/0, 920010b7. 
      If you compare the above result at the end of the line with the  model:vendor (please be aware the position between model and vendor has  been switched for the output of pci-config) you written previously you  will find the device index is 5 for my system , i.e. 920010b7 ->  10b7:9200

Now you should have the command to execute just before halt,

Code:
           pci-config -B $BUS -#$INDEX -S
      where you need to replace $BUS and $INDEX by the bus number and device index you found out.

To put 1) and 2) together you should add the following line to /etc/init.d/halt just before "halt -d -f $netdown $poweroff $hddown"
      Code:
           rmmod 3c59x                    sleep 0.5                      modprobe 3c59x                         sleep 0.5                              pci-config -B $BUS -#$INDEX -S               sleep 0.5
      where you need to replace $BUS and $INDEX by the bus number and device index you found out.

There are other stuff I have changed but not sure they are critical, but my system is working with them, so I will just list them for your reference
    • Add the following to /etc/default/halt
      Code:
           NETDOWN=no
    • Append the following to /etc/modprobe.d/options
      Code:
           options 3c59x enable_wol=1 global_enable_wol=1
    • Update initramfs
      Code:
           update-initramfs -t -u -k 'uname -r'
    • Use acpi in kernel (acpid was installed)

After you have done all the changes shut down your machine by execute
    Code:
         sudo halt
    If the light on your router which corresponding to the port connected to nic still on when the pc is switched off then there will be a good chance the wol will work, if not start it up and then shut it down by execute command "sudo halt" and try it again.
    Last edited by daslinkard; September 26th, 2012 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Added link

Beans

Hey, trying to follow the codes.

with regard to the following first 2 sets of codes...
    1. Before halt module 3c59x needs to be removed and then reload (can you explain what I am doing with this? not sure what I'm supposed to do)

Without it, the system will not respond to the wol packet
    2. Use pci-config (sudo apt-get install nictools-pci) to put the nic into sleep mode (I entered this code and this is what I got: reading package lists... done. Building dependency tree, reading state information... done. e: unable to locate package nictools-pci)
    Should I be doing something else on this?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast