Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: wired says connected but can't connect to the internet

Beans

Re: wired says connected but can't connect to the internet

been trying to talk to the isp people to no avail. I have some information about the system, but you guys would have to ask so I could get you that information. They supposedly changed the ip to a 10.71.xx.xx.xx address, but that did not work. When I released the ip it went to zeros, but then tried to renew and it didn't let me renew it.

Am thinking it might be a duplex issue - like the old 3com modem runs on full duplex and the system is at half duplex? let me know what you think and how to change it to full duplex. Do you think that's the problem?

Otherwise, let me know of any thing to look up about the system and I'll report back. the isp has not been helpful. I did switch modems and that appears to be fine (same type though..the tuts modem). As I said, I'm in a place with a lot of residences and did take the computer in another apartment to try it and the same thing happened, so it's something in the system I think that may need to be changed.

Let me know your thoughts and anything for me to try and to report. Thanks again...

Beans

changed the speeds and tried different ones..10, 100, full, half. still nothing.

so any ideas...thanks....

Beans

update: I tried to connect the comp to the main residence computer and it worked, but this particular box (not mine) is tp-link (a six port fast ethernet switch). it looks different than the modem in my apartment (the 3com tut systems one). Do I need to buy some sort of other modem? which would you suggest? and do you think it's a modem issue or code/hardware issue? is it just that I can't connect to this box with my computer? strange in that my old hardware worked fine with the tuts box....thoughts?....

Beans

So the exact "box" we hooked into...

So we went to where the main public computer is and the ethernet port from the wall went into this box: TP-Link fast ethernet switch, model TL-SF1005D.

This is the link to amazon for this product.
    http://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-SF1...rds=tl-sf1005d

With regard to this switch, do you think that our computer just needs a higher performance modem, or this type of switch? Or is this thing just a hub to allow multiple units connect to the ethernet port and we just happen to be able to connect through here? We want to know if we should buy this thing or if it will be a waste of money if it is not necessary (the old computer worked with the current Tuts modem, so my question is since this computer is similar but a slightly older model, is this why there could be connection problems?)

Also, we checked the IP address when we were able to connect to the net through this switch and it was the 10.71.xxxxx that I mentioned before- which I believe they connected with our hardware address, so if you know how to clear the hardware address I'd like to be able to do this as well.

Beans

Update:
    So, finally an IT tech was able to see that the network seems to be dropping packets between the main computer bank and the line into my apartment. They suggested swapping out the line card in the d-slam. But it might not be for a few days before they can do that.

Does that sound like a common thing that happens and the solution? Just wanted to ask because I went through a number of technicians and a number of them I ended up making suggestions for them to check out because they didn't sound like they knew fully of what was going on or wanted to check into it.

So basically, I am connected to the network, I now have a valid IP address. I ruled out some issues and know that the modem is not the problem, the wire is not the problem, the computer is not the problem (since it worked in the main center through a direct ethernet line). So let me know if you have any coding ideas that would resolve any issues with the network "dropping packets". (ps: I did try changing the different duplex speeds and it only works when either on auto select or 100/full).

thank you again for all your help. I know we are close...

Beans

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Adding a "router" would give you a dhcp server to connect to but the router may not connect to the upstream hardware beyond the Tut.

When you hooked up to the switch and got a10.71.xxxxx ip did you write down all the info.
    Such as the gateway and dns ips too?

Do you now have a 10.71.xxxxx with the Tut box?
    If you do try google's ip addy

Code:
    or if not, have you tried a static ip in the 10.71.xxxxx range?
    Your first step, learn the command line man intro man man man bash

Beans

yeah, I wrote down the 10.71xxx number they gave me plus the gateway dns that they suggested....it still isn't dhcp though. It was what I was given as a static ip to enter...

the it people said that they could see my connection and that it was trying to connect to the internet sites, but that it was still dropping packets. Basically, that's how they left it and they can't figure it out, even at their "level two"....

so I have to figure out what to do on this end with the forums' help....wondering if since this is such an older computer (with little ram..483ram) and an old pci card whether I should try to change the ram and the card...let me know if you think that is why it's dropping packets...

I got a usb wireless adaptor which I can't get to work well either...I probably should post for that....

let me know any ideas...would rather do wired anyway....

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314