Thread: Copy Home directory to USB flashdrive

Beans

Copy Home directory to USB flashdrive

Running Ubuntu 10.10 on Acer Netbook ZX5. Eventually realized that drag and drop file manipulation doesn't work on 10.10.
    Considered upgrading to 12.04, but reluctant because of brightness control problem with 12.04. Ended up installing PCManFM file manager version 0.9.7, which did allow me to drag and drop.
    However, when I attempted to copy the /home directory to a 32 Gig USB flashdrive (formatted to ext3), it seemed to do so, but there were error messages, and the files did not appear on the flashdrive. I assume the problem lies with permissions.
    How to do this?

Beans

Re: Copy Home directory to USB flashdrive

What were the error messages?
    Intel C2D E7200 || Intel DG33FB mobo || 4 GB RAM || 64 bit Lucid/ Precise Desktops || WD Caviar Black 1TB, Green 2TB; Corsair Force 3 60GB
    Dell U2412M || Palit Sonic GT 240 (OC'd NVidia card) || Logitech Quickcam Connect || Acer 3300U Scanner

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

First of all, drag-and-drop should work just fine.

More importantly though; what error messages?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Use rsync to copy home folder.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by bertold View Post
    Running Ubuntu 10.10 on Acer Netbook ZX5. Eventually realized that drag and drop file manipulation doesn't work on 10.10.
    Considered upgrading to 12.04, but reluctant because of brightness control problem with 12.04. Ended up installing PCManFM file manager version 0.9.7, which did allow me to drag and drop.
    However, when I attempted to copy the /home directory to a 32 Gig USB flashdrive (formatted to ext3), it seemed to do so, but there were error messages, and the files did not appear on the flashdrive. I assume the problem lies with permissions.
    How to do this?
    /home is a system folder that only system admin (using sudo) accounts have full access to. The user folders under /home are only fully accessible by the user accounts that own them.

Either run Nautilus with root privileges or just copy your own /home folder.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way