Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: random and persistant hard kernel lock, 10.10 (old and newer kernel) and 12.04 (live

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: random and persistant hard kernel lock, 10.10 (old and newer kernel) and 12.04 (l

hi dave.kts.

Since this is an Ubuntu forum, just for the record i prefer Linux over Microsoft products and am a happy longtime Ubuntu user

I run several computers on a business network, three of which still use WindowsXP on the internet on a daily basis with no problems or security concerns. Microsoft still provides monthly security updates and has commited to ongoing critical update support until April 2014.

Sounds like you have a triple boot computer but not a single operating system allows you to fully complete your work, plus you had a partially unsuccessful BIOS update:
    WindowsXP has virus problems
    SolusOS 1.2 doesn't work properly
    Ubuntu has a problem with random lock-ups

Since you're reluctant to run WindowsXP, why not boot and run your system from a Linux live CD for a few days to see if you still expereince random lock-ups (eg. Ubuntu liveCD, Puppy Linux).

If still random lock-ups then you probably have a hardware issue. Either run the appropriate software to test your hardware (eg. ram test, hard drive scans, etc) or replace/upgrade your system or specific components. Windows and Linux have good tools to test your ram and hard drives...not sure if you've recently tested your hardware?

If no random lock-ups then just your operating system installs aren't working properly. In this case, you might consider reformating your hard drives and installing fresh operating systems. For me a fresh install is always a last resort but in this case it may be warranted. I'm presently using an Ubuntu install that's >5 years old and it works great every day.

Just my thoughts. Your system you decide but it does not sound like you are very happy with it's present performance anyways.

In regards to your SolusOS upgrade comment, it is possible your system may have developed a hardware problem around the same time you attempted to upgrade to SolusOS 1.2.

mardybear

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: random and persistant hard kernel lock, 10.10 (old and newer kernel) and 12.04 (l

Quote Originally Posted by dave.kts View Post
    I'm still wondering why I didnt have any lockups when I was running SolusOS 1.1.
    SolusOS uses a 3.3.6 kernel with BFS and preempt.

Preempt is bad for latency, and BFS might cover up your 'bugs'.

I also see things mentioning Optimus which also indicates a recent Xorg server (and co?).

That's a clue...
    linux-git/fs/super.c: "Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice day...\n",

Beans

Sounds like you have a triple boot computer but not a single operating system allows you to fully complete your work, plus you had a partially unsuccessful BIOS update:
    WindowsXP has virus problems
    SolusOS 1.2 doesn't work properly
    Ubuntu has a problem with random lock-ups
    -yes, except I have a non-working (low graphics mode only) DreamLinux installed rather than SolusOS 1.2. I'm pretty sure I had a lockup running solusOS 1.2 from live CD

Since you're reluctant to run WindowsXP, why not boot and run your system from a Linux live CD for a few days to see if you still expereince random lock-ups (eg. Ubuntu liveCD, Puppy Linux).
    -been there, done that, I think it was solusOS 1.2 that locked up on live CD, and installation from live CD failed with Ubuntu Studio 12.04

If still random lock-ups then you probably have a hardware issue. Either run the appropriate software to test your hardware (eg. ram test, hard drive scans, etc) or replace/upgrade your system or specific components. Windows and Linux have good tools to test your ram and hard drives...not sure if you've recently tested your hardware?
    -ran memtest extensively, and I always view and refresh SMART data for my 3 drives, all are rather new and trusted brands, not a single bad sector anywhere. Have ran disk utilities.

In regards to your SolusOS upgrade comment, it is possible your system may have developed a hardware problem around the same time you attempted to upgrade to SolusOS 1.2.
    -I was experiencing lockups in 10.10 before I installed SolusOS 1.1, didnt seem to have any trouble while using 1.1 (but a series of updates crashed the Nvidia drivers) so at that point I was determined to get a Linux based production distro installed, and discovered that all these other distros were experiencing lockups as well.
    as for XP all I have to do is reinstall from a saved image, and run 4 days of updates (sucks because I tether from android phone and windows updates run terribly slow thru it) I will have to do that when I'm ready to use it for an audio workstation again, but as a rule of thumb you should never use internet on an audio workstation.
    Ideally I want to make the transition to linux fully and use free software for the audio production because I cant afford the "real stuff" written for microsoft and run into stability problems going the route of hacked, downloaded software. Hence the virus, software crashing and losing work.. and to be honest I see beter latency performance in linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

howdy dave.kts.

If you were getting lock-ups with a liveCD then something is terribly wrong. You mentioned NVidia graphics card. Lots of linux users have had a lot of challenges running Nvidia graphics.

Just a hunch but you may want to take a look at your graphic drivers. I'm sure there's lots of info on this forum about Nvidia graphic card installs/solutions.

Alternatively you could swap out with another non-Nvidia graphic card to see if this fixes your problem (this might be the easiest/quickest solution).

Only other solution i can think of off-hand is to reinstall SolusOS 1.1 and avoid updates, as this install seemed to work best for you, but this is hardly the most desirable outcome and might not let you setup your ideal Linux audio system.

mardybear

Beans

i wish i had another video card around to test but i dont. do you think it is more likely to be my video card, or my wireless card, or even the android phone? I doubt it is the phone. I'm wondering if maybe I should just buy a pcmcia serial card for my laptop. would i be able to get some answers from that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dave.kts View Post
    do you think it is more likely to be my video card, or my wireless card, or even the android phone?
    Hi again...

There's no way for me to know for sure...maybe someone else on the forum has some better ideas. If it was my system i would systematically try to rule out hardware issues. Try running your Ubuntu install for a while using a wired connection instead of wireless and see if it freezes at all over a few days. Once an Ubuntu install is set up and running well it should be able to run for days with hardly a hiccup.

Me still thinks it's likely your graphic chip. Have you tried different Nvidia drivers in Ubuntu? One thing i've never had to try myself but may be helpful is to select 'recovery mode' from the grub menu when you boot your system. Then select the failsafeX option (failsafe graphic mode). Next option choice would be to try running your system in 'low graphic' mode for a while to see how it responds. If this doesn't work, then reboot and select the 'reconfigure graphics' option and see if this helps you get things figured out.

Get back to the group when you've had a chance to trial, as others may be able to provide more advice.

mardybear

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234