Thread: Messed up application menu

Beans

Messed up application menu

Recently - after an installation of a new item (lxmed) to Preferences that entire directory of the lubuntu application menu disappeared.

Now, i'd like to know, where the menu.xml file sits that contains the needed infos (as far as i recall in lubuntu there is a slightly different architecture than with a pure lxde); and how i should/could edit it to make re-appear <Preferences>?

I don't like the idea to have to install alacarte (with all that gnome related "garbage"

TIA for any help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Messed up application menu

I think the menu file is at /home/user/.cache/menus

having looked at it ion the past, I am not sure how easy it will be to see what went wrong, or to put it right.

Also there is no point installing alacarte as it will not work in Lubuntu, or it wouldn't in the past; things may have changed now.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I run LXMenu on all of my systems so I can make menu changes using the GUI approach. You might give it a try, I've long forgotten where any of the files reside as this takes care of it for me.

Here's where you can get it: http://lxmed.sourceforge.net

I run Openbox, so for me it's located here: ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml

The system-wide location is here: /etc/xdg/openbox/menu.xml
    The future will soon be a thing of the past.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Guilden_NL View Post
    I run LXMenu on all of my systems so I can make menu changes using the GUI approach. You might give it a try, I've long forgotten where any of the files reside as this takes care of it for me.

Here's where you can get it: http://lxmed.sourceforge.net

I run Openbox, so for me it's located here: ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml

The system-wide location is here: /etc/xdg/openbox/menu.xml
    Me too, and it's fine. But i don't see there - in lxmed, i mean - an option to configure the menu structure i.e. the topics (like <applications>, <network>, <graphics> etc).

Cheers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I think the menu file is at /home/user/.cache/menus

having looked at it ion the past, I am not sure how easy it will be to see what went wrong, or to put it right.

Also there is no point installing alacarte as it will not work in Lubuntu, or it wouldn't in the past; things may have changed now.
    Alacarte now works.

I followed your suggestion and went to */.cache/menus but i didn't find any obvious mistake. Anyway, manipulating a bit around here and there mainly in lxmed now the <preferences> topic returned. I suspect its disappearance might be connected to the fact i installed gnome controll center . . .

Btw, i also tried the "alacarte way" and while i could nicely activate single programs but not change the menu structure.

Beans

I wanted to say thanks to all who tried to help. My problem in the meantime was resolved, a little bit magically - at least for me.

But, to stay in topic: Is there somewhere a good and coherent explanation how to configure and change the structure of the lubuntu (LXDE) application menu?

TIA