Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop+Netbook vs laptop for college

Beans

Desktop+Netbook vs laptop for college

hey guys,
    what do you think is better for college? a netbook + desktop or a laptop? I could get a laptop for $800. But i noticed i can get a desktop and a netbook for $750. The desktop is dual core, and the netbook is dual core along with 4GB ram =D. I also commute to college however i never type my essays when im at my college. I mostly just study in the library.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Desktop+Netbook vs laptop for college

2 half decent computers are better than one all singing all dancing one in my opinion. They all become old in the end.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you start to experiment there are *so* many more things you can do with two computers than with one that I would say that choice wins hands-down. So another vote for the two half-decent computers here.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would do the latter, dekstop and netbook.

With a laptop, if it gets broken or stolen you're out of luck.

With a desktop/netbook combo you can lose/break the netbook and its not that much of a loss. Netbooks are much easier to commute with than 15-17 inch laptops. Furthermore, with the desktop, you presumably have more options in terms of upgrading your hardware.

That said, I would get a solid netbook. The Lenovo Thinkpad x130e would be at the top of my list.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Desktop + Netbook

You can also upgrade/repair the desktop easily over time. Add hard drives for more space, hook up a dual monitor setup (once you have one for longer than a week going back will feel like its slowing you down so much).

Plus most laptops and netbooks except the very high-end ones won't stand up to 4 years of constant use. At least if you burn through a netbook, you can replace it cheaply.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It really depends.

I did Desktop + Netbook for most of my college life. My brother went Laptop instead.

Desktop + Netbook
    - A good desktop and a good netbook are Less expensive than a good laptop able to do the roles of both.
    - Netbook is light and small - you can have it in the same backpack/brief case/whatever that you use for books and notebooks.
    - Netbooks usually have more battery.
    - Desktops have great power vs. cost ratio.
    - Desktops are upgradeable and many of their components are reusable.
    - Desktops can have much larger screen.
    - Two home folders mean your data has redundancy and thus you are less vulnerable to data losses. (Still, make backups).
    - If you need to lend your desktop for some reason, you can still use your netbook or vice versa.
    - Desktops tend to be a lot more durable.
    - Desktops are noisy.
    - Lose the netbook, you still have a Desktop to work with.
    - Netbook keyboards are uncomfortable.

Laptop
    - If you spend most of the time at college rather than at home/dorm, a netbook's power would be very lacking. Laptops instead, can do many things that Desktops can.
    - Netbook can't run heavy-weight apps. If you are in a subject that really needs high end apps, then a netbook is not going to be good enough for a portable computer. Laptops can run higher end apps.
    - Same if you want gaming outside of home. A 2012 mid-end Laptop can even play Diablo 3 with decent graphics.
    - Lose the laptop, be doomed to a computer-less life.
    Last edited by vexorian; September 23rd, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

Why wont you get a good, heavy duty laptop (thinkpad, elitebook, latitude) + dock/extension? 13" would be small/light enough to carry it with and do some light work... and when you would be at home you could connect it with mouse, speakers, monitor (1 or two; you could use both: i.e. laptop's and seperate monitor), keyboard (sorry, nothing beats the proper seperate keyboard). Using one computer simplifies document/setting sharing etc (so you won't have any issue with stuff left on desktop instead of on laptop etc), also you save money on software (if you use commercial one)
    you can get good deals on dell/lenovo outlet store.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Another vote for a business laptop (ThinkPad, Dell Latitude, HP Elitebook). You can generally get extended batteries that get 8-10+ hours, they're reliable and durable, have good keyboards (especially ThinkPads), and good screens (at least as an option - you can get up to 15" 1080p on certain ThinkPad, Elitebook and Latitude models).

Having 1 good, comfortable computer to use IMO is much better than having 2 compromises... Especially when you're using them all day everyday...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm working with a netbook and a tablet right now and looking at getting a desktop. After getting the tablet, the netbook stays at home, but I still don't find it convenient to hook up and unhook the netbook when I want it to be a dual-display desktop and when I want to move to a different room. Annoying, really, for something you're going to do several times every day.

I use Dropbox for syncing, and it's effortless to access my files between the tablet and the netbook. I don't have to think about where my files are, because my work documents are all mirrored, and it's not even something I have to think about when I'm working with both devices in tandem and save a .pdf to the desktop and then open it up for reading on the tablet. Adding a desktop PC to the mix isn't going to complicate anything.

I work primarily with documents, of course, so they're small files. I don't have to worry about media files. (My music is synced free through Google.)
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; September 23rd, 2012 at 08:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

In my personal opinion, I would definatly get a netbook. After trying to travel on business trips with a laptop I was finally convinced to get at netbook. Carring a heavy laptop all day long from the airport, to the rental car, to the hotel, to the rental car again, to the customer's offices, etc., made me reconsider a netbook. I thought I wouldn't like them, and I was wrong. I got one and I am happy with my decision. Weather you combine the netbook with a laptop or desktop depends on what you can afford, what you will use them for, weather you plan to keep them for a long time by upgrading the parts, and the space you have for setting them up.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; September 23rd, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast