Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horizontal lines in text while browsing in firefox and Ubuntu Software center

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Horizontal lines in text while browsing in firefox and Ubuntu Software center

HI,

I can see the Horizontal black lines in text while scrolling in Firefox only some times see attached screen-shot

Is it something related font rendering or display issue..?

I also see this in Ubuntu Software center when it is showing the "Installing" text but only when scrolling up and down..

My details. See the output of command lspci

Code:
    $ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller (rev 10)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 10)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
    00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
    00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
    00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
    00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 01)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 01)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Horizontal lines in text while browsing in firefox and Ubuntu Software center

Please can any of you help..I have also removed Windows as I could'nt boot into it..?

If not again I'll have to format to remove ubuntu and install Windows 7!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Horizontal lines in text while browsing in firefox and Ubuntu Software center

Nobody in the community can help me out!!! Is my thread visible???

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I get this on my netbook
    Particularly so when using subpixel hinting
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    I get this on my netbook
    Particularly so when using subpixel hinting

So what is the solution for this? and why does this happen Is it a Firefox bug or Ubuntu bug??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

good morning,

Your post is very visible, the fact that you get answers is proof of that.
    "otherwise i have to install Win7" - you are always free to do that.
    - How bad is the problem: do you see the lines and then they stay, obscuring the text or do they disappear when you scroll further up and down?
    - To find whether it's a firefox or general problem check whether you have the same effect in other programs (OpenOffice Writer, Gimp etc.).
    - If you see it coming up in other programs also then it's a general problem
    - If you only experience it in firefox, then it's most likely a firefox problem
    - try to run a video-hardware test: "Checkbox/System Test"
    - is it directly after starting the PC that it happens or does it take time to get there?

All the above are steps to eliminate possible causes and to find possible reasons.
    While searching for similar problems i found these posts:
    http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...ar-differently
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/933665
    Last edited by zandman; September 25th, 2012 at 06:56 AM.
    "What do you want?"
    "Sex, drugs and rock & roll, but since that's not what you meant, i'll take a cappucino..."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think it is only firefox related with chrome it is ok... But I like firefox as default...

When I googled, I doubt it is something to do with Sub-pixel hinting and firefox..Let me check on that..

Also tell me more about Sub-pixel hinting..I have an LCD screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

"Also tell me more about Sub-pixel hinting..I have an LCD screen"

https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8
    Take the 4th entry called "subpixel hinting"
    Also: http://www.grc.com/ctwhat.htm
    "What do you want?"
    "Sex, drugs and rock & roll, but since that's not what you meant, i'll take a cappucino..."

Beans

in Firefox preferences, go to the advanced tab, find the setting for hardware acceleration and disable it. there may be a conflict with your graphics driver.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by black veils View Post
    in Firefox preferences, go to the advanced tab, find the setting for hardware acceleration and disable it. there may be a conflict with your graphics driver.

I tried that there is no change...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast