Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

Beans

Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

OSX is not better than ubuntu, it is not worse than ubuntu, it is different.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    OSX is not better than ubuntu, it is not worse than ubuntu, it is different.
    So you think.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Porcini M. View Post
    So you think.
    I guess I must given that I posted it.

Beans
    Hidden!

I guess I must given that I posted it.
    You "thought 'different'".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Porcini M. View Post
    You "thought 'different'".
    OK, care to make some sense? or are you just making posts for the sake of making posts, that meets the definition of Spam.

Beans
    Hidden!

OK, care to make some sense? or are you just making posts for the sake of making posts, that meets the definition of Spam.
    I was making a play on the "think different" marketing slogan. I figured the coming-together of your post & the fact that you're an Apple user would be humorous & worth a chuckle. Incorrectly, apparently.

Please carry on.

Beans

I use Apple when I have to, I am not that into the Apple culture.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pogeymanz View Post
    1. I take it you don't use any Qt apps at all in Ubuntu?
    2. One of the biggest complaints by typophiles is that Linux does a terrible job of font rendering.
    3. I agree with you there.
    4. And I agree with you here as well. Though, OSX 10.8 has made some really great improvements and it doesn't just feel like a crappy Compiz clone anymore.
    5. What's hard about double-clicking a DMG and dragging one icon into another?

Granted, overall I agree and would never buy a Mac (though, I do have to work on them at my job), but some complaints are valid while others are really not.

It's so much easier than you're giving it credit for. You double-click a DMG file and a little window pops up with two icons. One is the app's icon, the other is your computer's Apps folder. There is a giant arrow pointing from the app icon to the folder icon. You have two options here: double-click the app icon to just run the executable or drag the icon to the app folder to install it.

You simply cannot do that in Linux. If you can, please tell me what distro it is that allows that.

I personally don't care because I am very comfortable with the terminal, but for most users, it's intimidating.
    i get it it's easy. but so is sudo apt-get install name of program or clicking install on the software center. either way it's so simplified that anyone can do it. macs are nice. they give you a decent os without having to work for it too much. but if you don't need a mac specific app it's hard to jusity the price of admission nowadays. then again i could drink coors light but i chose to purchase quality craft beer. it's all in the eye of the beholder when it comes to value propositions
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pogeymanz View Post
    I've heard, and have not checked that some apps can leave behind configs or changes they've made to the system even after uninstalling them. It's because of OSX's simple paradigm of an app just being a folder with an executable and config files.

Do you have any knowledge of that?
    If you just drag the icon out of the app folder to the trash. It does not get rid of all of the files that the program has stored on your computer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by georgelappies View Post
    Hi all

I recently managed to get Mac OS X 10.8 running in Virtualbox. After playing around with it and trying to work in it I came to the conclusion that it sucks.

Reasons:

1. Inconsistent look of the apps. One has old yellow paper, the other leather, some has shiny metal finishes. All to gimmicky to my taste.
    2. The default font is not even close to the quality of the Ubuntu font set.
    3. Much to vendor specific and locked down to be any fun.
    4. Cumbersome interface after having being spoilt with unity.
    5. The best app I found installed by default was vim, getting gvim setup on Mac OS X was way slower then just doing a sudo apt-get install vim-gnome

I own an iPhone 4S and an iPad 2, so I was contemplating getting a macbook or one of those mini macs. However after this experience I will take the same amount of cash I needed to get one of those and get myself the very best laptop that amount of cash can get, and install Ubuntu 12.04.1 immediately.

But maybe I am missing something? Surely there has to be a valid reason why the mac books are so expensive right?
    I take it you have seen Ubuntu's icons?

I take this with a ten ton truck of salt - this HAS to be a joke

As has been repeated *far* too many times, and likely will be far too many times *again*, it's about CHOICE. You don't have to become a blinded fan of JUST ONE product, and abandon all others because "they suck".

How is this thread not a prime deletion candidate? I thought Linux users would be slightly more sensible than to adopt this ridiculous behaviour.

Had I a gun to my head, and a choice to make, it would be Mac OS X, hands down, every time. It is just SO much simpler, elegant and efficient, and saves me more time; I don't care how many innocent source code bytes were killed to make my copy of OS X, seriously - IT'S JUST A COMPUTER!

Guess what, geeks? The majority of the world's computer using population ARE NOT geeks, and want the simplest, most supported and most reliable tool for the job!
    Last edited by nikonian; February 21st, 2013 at 03:25 AM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast