Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

Kind of reverse of the topic, I owned a Mac mini for a while and although the interface is slick and cool, I found a lot missing! It comes with itunes and imovie and a iphoto, but if you just want to type a letter, no stock app for that! unless you Buy MS Office or the iworks suite. Apple Quicktime plays .mov and qt4 files but it can't play mpg, wmv, or most avi! I had to install VLC (opensource) for an office app I installed Open office (again opensource) I tried to import mpg and some HD files into imovie and it couldn't see them! I even scored a copy of Finalcut Pro and it wouldn't import them either! I ended up using a lot of opensource applications to round out the mac's capabilities. I ended up going back to my dual boot PC!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Angry Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

If i Ever Mac os or Apple product of of ANY kind i will RESELL it or E-Recycle it. Sorry a Apple Mac hater. I will not use one PERIOD.
    The Answer Please if at all Possible

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CDR Services View Post
    Kind of reverse of the topic, I owned a Mac mini for a while and although the interface is slick and cool, I found a lot missing! It comes with itunes and imovie and a iphoto, but if you just want to type a letter, no stock app for that! unless you Buy MS Office or the iworks suite. Apple Quicktime plays .mov and qt4 files but it can't play mpg, wmv, or most avi! I had to install VLC (opensource) for an office app I installed Open office (again opensource) I tried to import mpg and some HD files into imovie and it couldn't see them! I even scored a copy of Finalcut Pro and it wouldn't import them either! I ended up using a lot of opensource applications to round out the mac's capabilities. I ended up going back to my dual boot PC!
    I actually love that I can install open source software on my Mac. I do use iPhoto and iTunes, but I also use VLC, Seashore, Firefox, FileZilla, and LibreOffice, too. Best of both worlds, as far as I'm concerned. I've got a Mac Mini running Ubuntu, a MacBook Pro with Mac OS X, a Chromebook, a Nexus 7 tablet, and a Galaxy Nexus phone. And I use Windows 7 at work. Really, I don't get the hate. Use what you want to, of course. I just consider them all to be different, fun tools.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by georgelappies View Post
    Hi all

I recently managed to get Mac OS X 10.8 running in Virtualbox. After playing around with it and trying to work in it I came to the conclusion that it sucks.

Reasons:

1. Inconsistent look of the apps. One has old yellow paper, the other leather, some has shiny metal finishes. All to gimmicky to my taste.
    2. The default font is not even close to the quality of the Ubuntu font set.
    3. Much to vendor specific and locked down to be any fun.
    4. Cumbersome interface after having being spoilt with unity.
    5. The best app I found installed by default was vim, getting gvim setup on Mac OS X was way slower then just doing a sudo apt-get install vim-gnome

I own an iPhone 4S and an iPad 2, so I was contemplating getting a macbook or one of those mini macs. However after this experience I will take the same amount of cash I needed to get one of those and get myself the very best laptop that amount of cash can get, and install Ubuntu 12.04.1 immediately.

But maybe I am missing something? Surely there has to be a valid reason why the mac books are so expensive right?
    a friend of mine who used to work for NASA/JPL, and Yahoo, made a few interesting points, and he used to be mac hater.

1. Mac OS is based on BSD - you can do almost anything that a linux distro does
    2. It doesn't break often
    3. everything is plug and play

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    I saw Mac OS/X once.

My first impression was that the icons were very good looking. It makes sense to use a dock when your icons look that good.

Otherwise, If I was going to use a proprietary OS I would use windows 7 and get 100% app support. But something more proprietary than windows and less compatible than Linux?
    Oracle Solaris is more proprietary and less compatible than Mac or Windows.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Really, I don't get the hate.
    Our hate is not directed at OS X. It's directed at Apple itself and it's well-deserved. The degree of freedom you enjoy in OS X you owe to its competitors. If Windows and Linux didn't exist, OS X would be a desktop incarnation of iOS with only a handful of configuration options and a vendor lock at every step.

Don't get me wrong, I don't buy Google propaganda about them being good. All corporations are evil. But compared to Apple even MS and Oracle look like saints.
    Last edited by prodigy_; March 27th, 2013 at 09:51 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    All corporations are evil. But compared to Apple even MS and Oracle look like saints.
    What about Canonical and Redhat? They're not evil, I mean they're the financial backing for Ubuntu and Fedora.
    Last edited by TeamRocket1233c; March 26th, 2013 at 02:36 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Corporations aren't evil. They're amoral and dangerous.

See The Corporation for more details:
    http://www.thecorporation.com/

Beans

Bump, only because I want to edit my profile and don't have any posts.
    jk

No, really.

BTW:
    I love OS X the best (it is the best tool for my work), then Linux (Fun as hell to play with), and Windows is poop.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TeamRocket1233c View Post
    What about Canonical and Redhat? They're not evil, I mean they're the financial backing for Ubuntu and Fedora.
    Fedora is nothing but a testbed for Red Hat which isn't free. And Ubuntu... I don't want to talk about Ubuntu these days. Makes me sad.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast