Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 136

Thread: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

    Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    Too bad you can't sit back, relax and think a little. You're not on yahoo answers, you're on a forum where almost all regular posters have various degrees of IT experience. Many of them actually spent years in this field and could work with anything from DOS to NetWare with their eyes closed. And still you claim that you're the only one here who can use a PC professionally. And only because you managed to break your Win7 installation in a most weird and awkward way. See how this doesn't exactly compute?
    Congratulations on your two liner
    But of course, on areas where i have experience i give my opinion. And if people just trash with a two liner, with no relevant content to the topic, then it annoys me.
    But sure use the space on the thread to trash / flame. Maybe you have a crappy day and need to vent some things.

    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.988 View Post
    @Drenriza @nikonian @mamamia88

    Take a look at this:

    http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux...p.current.html

    and

    http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/best-linu...this-year.html


    and this

    http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2013/Mar-05.html

    "Miguel de Icaza, the creator of Gnome and Mono, opined about Linux problems in a similar way, here's his opinion where he reiterates a lot of things mentioned below. He stopped using Linux in 2012, saying about his Mac the following, "Computing-wise that three week vacation turned out to be very relaxing. Machine would suspend and resume without problem, WiFi just worked, audio did not stop working, I spend three weeks without having to recompile the kernel to adjust this or that, nor fighting the video drivers, or deal with the bizarre and random speed degradation that my ThinkPad suffered", highlighting problematic areas in Linux."
    Mmm yes i did see this(interesting to see the creator of Gnome's opinion). Tho does it not change my opinion on what OS is the best. Through my own experience, what i hear from people which PC's / laptop's i repair and so on and so forth.
    And no, i'am no Ubuntu fanboy. I merely want to use the best tool in my trade.

    Also i didnt see in the article what distro he used(I just read he used Linux), maybe i missed it in my haste. But i don't see it's relevance to the thread if he didnt use Ubuntu. And after the switch from gnome to unity, ubuntu (if he used that) would probably not be the best tool for him. Maybe i am wrong, i am no GUI designer by far.
    Last edited by Drenriza; March 7th, 2013 at 04:06 PM.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mombasa Kenya
    Beans
    26
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pogeymanz View Post

    Granted, overall I agree and would never buy a Mac (though, I do have to work on them at my job), but some complaints are valid while others are really not.



    It's so much easier than you're giving it credit for. You double-click a DMG file and a little window pops up with two icons. One is the app's icon, the other is your computer's Apps folder. There is a giant arrow pointing from the app icon to the folder icon. You have two options here: double-click the app icon to just run the executable or drag the icon to the app folder to install it.

    You simply cannot do that in Linux. If you can, please tell me what distro it is that allows that.

    I personally don't care because I am very comfortable with the terminal, but for most users, it's intimidating.
    Let me hazard an answer, try the bundle system in Chakra, you just download the bundle and click once. The application is ready for use.
    Check their site

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Beans
    5,735

    Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

    I don't know why people insist on comparing Linux to other operating systems - especially OSX.

    OSX represents what one can achieve with what is essentially a UNIX-like operating system when you have complete control over every aspect of the computing environment from the hardware to the software. Even Microsoft doesn't have that level of control and I don't see how Linux ever will.

    Using Linux as the core of a Phone or Tablet is another story but then the supplier exerts a level of control over what goes in and how updates are rolled in if at all so it's not like the Linux we use on our PC's.

  4. #74
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

    Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Using Linux as the core of a Phone or Tablet is another story but then the supplier exerts a level of control over what goes in and how updates are rolled in if at all so it's not like the Linux we use on our PC's.
    If you use a Nexus phone with a rooted rom, the supplier does not exert a level of control in how updates are rolled out.

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    0

    Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

    Another great experience I had with Ubuntu: Recently "saved" an old early 2007 MacMini (1.83GHz dual-core, Intel 64Mb onboard graphics) from being thrown away. It came with OSX 10.5 preinstalled. I added another 2Gb RAM (to reach the 3gb max) & tried to install a newer version of OSX. 10.6 didn't run as smooth as 10.5 and it wasn't even possible to install 10.7 (i'm sure though there are some inofficial long-ways around to install it - but how should that OS run well on a 6 year old machine if there are already performance problems on OSX 10.7 optimized hardware?!).

    I gave up on that, got rid of OSX and installed Ubuntu 12.10. See, see...it's running amazingly! Due to the older hw it might take 1-2sec longer to open certain programs (especially Windows software installed via Wine) - otherwise Ubuntu runs smooth and fast, no lags at all. While I had several problems on my MacBook pro (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi & more problems) Ubuntu works out of the box on that MacMini and incredibly stable.

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    100

    Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

    I should hope OS X is better than Ubuntu at that price !

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    6,542
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

    Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Using Linux as the core of a Phone or Tablet is another story but then the supplier exerts a level of control over what goes in and how updates are rolled in if at all so it's not like the Linux we use on our PC's.
    What goes in and how updates are rolled out on desktop Linux is also in the hands of the supplier, in this case your distro.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    0

    Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

    Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    I should hope OS X is better than Ubuntu at that price !
    Well OSX isn't very expensive, around 20 Euro if I remember right. There used to be a saying "one also pays OSX through expensive hardware" - I don't accept that one anymore. Non-Apple hardware with similar quality/specifications/design (and no pre-installed advertisement software like often seen on HP computers) isn't necessarely cheaper.

    Once both systems are set up and run the way they should, Ubuntu is IMO ahead of OSX. But especially for beginners, a few things are much easier to set up on OSX - I think that can worth the Euro 20. On the other side, someone who likes Ubuntu should think of donating them around the same price Good reminder to myself, since I haven't done that yet.

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Beans
    21
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Smile Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

    Quote Originally Posted by Skara Brae View Post
    Hah, that's an easy one.

    Installing programs. Unzip DMG, drag file in the DMG to Program folder, done.

    Not even Synaptic can beat that (not even the CLI, for by the time you have typed apt-get, I have dragged the program to the Program folder).

    The best thing that Apple has ever made, in my opinion, is OS X.
    I have to agree with Skara Brae, program install & uninstall is just so hassle free.
    No dependency problems, its all contained in the app.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying OS X is better than Ubuntu, (I'm not gonna put my nuts on that particular chopping block), I'm just agreeing that the App install procedure is quick & painless, and when you realise, the program sucks, getting rid of ALL of it, is childs play.

  10. #80
    Moose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

    At home I use Ubuntu religiously. I would never think of switching back to Windows or Mac.

    Unfortunately I am forced into using Mac for the purpose of school work. And I absolutely hate it. On occasions I have taken my home laptop to school with me because I find Mac OS X just unnecessarily complicated. Not to mention how slow and laggy it is.
    Last edited by Moose; March 19th, 2013 at 05:38 AM.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •