Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

OSX isn't better than Ubuntu or Linux. But it does have more commercially available apps than Linux, and it is better than Windows... The fact that it has alot of the same abilities as Linux coupled with the ease of use and commercial availability makes it a convenient compromise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    OSX isn't better than Ubuntu or Linux. But it does have more commercially available apps than Linux, and it is better than Windows... The fact that it has alot of the same abilities as Linux coupled with the ease of use and commercial availability makes it a convenient compromise.
    I agree with this.

Windows < OS X < Linux

I haven't used OS X for more than a couple of weeks, but I wasn't impressed enough with it to move away from Linux. I didn't find it particularly attractive (Grey text on a grey background? Really?) and it takes a small army of third party add-ons to make it customisable to any degree. It has a lot of the same flaws as Windows (poor customisablility, lack of good package management, weak default apps), while also having some of Linux's (smaller software catalogue, less third party support, and supported on even less hardware than Linux). It's not a bad system, but IMO it didn't do anything outstanding that would have kept it on my machine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    I agree with this.

Windows < OS X < Linux

I haven't used OS X for more than a couple of weeks, but I wasn't impressed enough with it to move away from Linux. I didn't find it particularly attractive (Grey text on a grey background? Really?) and it takes a small army of third party add-ons to make it customisable to any degree. It has a lot of the same flaws as Windows (poor customisablility, lack of good package management, weak default apps), while also having some of Linux's (smaller software catalogue, less third party support, and supported on even less hardware than Linux). It's not a bad system, but IMO it didn't do anything outstanding that would have kept it on my machine.
    Apple have an exemplary graphics team, whereas Ubuntu? I'll leave it with you that their graphics "design" decisions are arbitrary, at best. Orange and brown? mmmmm! Yummy ^_^

Linux and Android folk seem to be alone in their fervent desire to constantly customise their UI. Personally, I think Apple do a FAR better job than I ever could. If customisation is supposed to be given as a reason for using Linux over Mac OS X or Windows? I think I can live with their grey, but elegant UI, over some ghastly creation sub-contracted to a geek by day, "designer" by night, thanks all the same.
    Last edited by nikonian; February 21st, 2013 at 03:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by nikonian View Post
    Apple have an exemplary graphics team, whereas Ubuntu? I'll leave it with you that their graphics "design" decisions are arbitrary, at best. Orange and brown? mmmmm! Yummy ^_^

Linux and Android folk seem to be alone in their fervent desire to constantly customise their UI. Personally, I think Apple do a FAR better job than I ever could. If customisation is supposed to be given as a reason for using Linux over Mac OS X or Windows? I think I can live with their grey, but elegant UI, over some ghastly creation sub-contracted to a geek by day, "designer" by night, thanks all the same.
    Taste is a personal matter. The fact that you may find a machine someone else has customised to their tastes "ghastly", but it's not your machine so why do you care? Just look at the different way people choose to dress, the music they choose to listen to, etc, etc.

I agree that sensible, well designed defaults are good. But so is the ability to express your individuality, should you wish to do so. A change is as good as a holiday sometimes too. The fact that there are a large number of excellent third-party apps to bring customisability to the Mac desktop suggests many Mac users feel the same way, and feel that the defaults they're given by Apple do in fact suck a little.

I don't think the default Mac desktop looks particularly bad. I just don't particularly like it either.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Taste is a personal matter. The fact that you may find a machine someone else has customised to their tastes "ghastly", but it's not your machine so why do you care? Just look at the different way people choose to dress, the music they choose to listen to, etc, etc.

I agree that sensible, well designed defaults are good. But so is the ability to express your individuality, should you wish to do so. A change is as good as a holiday sometimes too. The fact that there are a large number of excellent third-party apps to bring customisability to the Mac desktop suggests many Mac users feel the same way, and feel that the defaults they're given by Apple do in fact suck a little.

I don't think the default Mac desktop looks particularly bad. I just don't particularly like it either.

Fair enough

I don't think I am "right", by the way - those were just my opinions, and noone is compelled to agree; I am a little more humble than that

Beans

Commercial support. Mac users don't need to have work arounds for netflix and they have apps like garageband that aren't available on linux. Other than that though really if linux meets your needs no real reason to switch
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by nikonian View Post
    How is this thread not a prime deletion candidate?
    And yet you bumped a five-month old thread...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've been on Ubuntu since 2008, Windows7 (school :(! ) and got a Mac OS X Snow Leopard for work (not my decision).

And my own conclusion is that their isint an area where i say "wow Mac is a lot better here".

Windows is to unstable, hands down. It's bloated, slow and it's a pain in the butt.

Mac OS X is a little more stable, easy to install DMG files and thats that.
    OS X on the other hand SUCKSSSSSSSS at network management, deletion of files and programs aka apps. And is in good lock-down mode for the normal user where system-files are hidden away in absurd locations. And surten resources is locked down.

Ubuntu is in my opinion the best OS, when looking at stability, user-friendlyness, available resources (nothing is hidden away in a degree as Windows and OS X), it's fast and the debian package system is just as good and easy to use when installing packages and better at removing packages then OS X (windows is a tie on that regard).

Overall, at home i use Ubuntu because it is the best. And if i could i use it at work to.

Kind regards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Drenriza View Post
    I've been on Ubuntu since 2008, Windows7 (school :(! ) and got a Mac OS X Snow Leopard for work (not my decision).

And my own conclusion is that their isint an area where i say "wow Mac is a lot better here".

Windows is to unstable, hands down. It's bloated, slow and it's a pain in the butt.

Mac OS X is a little more stable, easy to install DMG files and thats that.
    OS X on the other hand SUCKSSSSSSSS at network management, deletion of files and programs aka apps. And is in good lock-down mode for the normal user where system-files are hidden away in absurd locations. And surten resources is locked down.

Ubuntu is in my opinion the best OS, when looking at stability, user-friendlyness, available resources (nothing is hidden away in a degree as Windows and OS X), it's fast and the debian package system is just as good and easy to use when installing packages and better at removing packages then OS X (windows is a tie on that regard).

Overall, at home i use Ubuntu because it is the best. And if i could i use it at work to.

Kind regards.
    People who say windows is unstable are either super unlucky or using a very old version. I'm sorry but you don't get to sell a billion units world wide if the thing is flat out broken. Especially to businesses who rely on it for making money. If it just crashed all the time then no matter how many applications ran on top of it you'd see mass exodus. It just hasn't happened.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Because its an overpriced OS that only installs on computers made by one company and could install on other computrers if only its parent company were not such money grabbing SOB's then they could take microsoft on and win if it not for the overpriced systems?

Good enough reason?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast