Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Give me one reason why Mac OS X is better than Ubuntu...

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    You can brag to your friends that since you don't mind paying a lot for a Mac with mediocre specs so you must be rich.
    Or you can not brag and recognize that there are more to specs than processor speed and RAM.

Beans

There is no comparing OSX to Linux of any flavor, for pure simplicity and dependability. I am a OSX user, but am currently working on learning Linux, well Ubuntu 13.04, its a long way from the linux of old. I started this expedition out of necessity. The mac resale value is incredible and I needed some quick finance for a venture, so I was left with no mac... and could not use windows 8 its horrible, not to say 7 is much better, any how I installed 12.04LTS on an old Dell E6400, and off I went and loved it, the learning curve is just amazing, I have learned to not be scared of terminal due to adb for android on mac. So well, Its been a good experience. My venture payed off so I did buy another mac, but I have to say I find myself using the Ringtail more often...So for me, Mac is not better, but different and Ubuntu is more exciting right now. Thanks.
    Last edited by Chris_Hodge; August 8th, 2013 at 07:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Or you can not brag and recognize that there are more to specs than processor speed and RAM.
    This!
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BR8 View Post
    If anything goes wrong, you get to buy the latest system.
    Hyperbole much, do you?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    There are none except that the devices are pretty, so they get a lot of attention.
    There are plenty, but this is a Ubuntu board, so of course that will be the sentiment most observed. I probably felt the same way a few years ago, but actually working on Pro Workstations with OSX can quickly enlightlen you. To each his own, I use several OS's and have both likes/dislikes for them all. If I want a machine to run for a very long time without having a problem, Mac Pro and OSX are MY choice. Opinions are like *********, everyone has one.

I use FinalCut Pro (OSX), and Sony Vegas (Windows) a lot. I've tried the Linux NLE's and there aren't any of quality or reliability. If you need professional video tools, Windows + OSX are your major choices. When the Linux community produces a real NLE contender, I'll bite... Again... I love my Ubuntu and use it daily, but.............. OSX outclasses it at this point. I'm sure it won't always be that way, and I don't really care. I just use the best tool for the job and move on.
    Last edited by crjackson; August 12th, 2013 at 11:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    I should hope OS X is better than Ubuntu at that price !
    Yeah, $19 dollars is going to make everyone go broke. It's way over priced. You shouldn't even consider anything that will take $19 out of your budget.

OSX.jpg
    Last edited by crjackson; August 12th, 2013 at 11:45 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Erm... Examples?
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Um, You can just build a PC with the exact same specs as a Mac and save hundreds, install FreeBSD or other Open Source Unix, a bit of tweaking, and walla, you have a Mac. However, what makes a Mac a Mac is what applications/programs you can run on it legally. I'm pretty sure if access to the source code was available we would be able to compile and run these same programs better and faster on a Linux build.

I have yet to find someone who runs a Mac that actually knows what is going on under the hood. Most just claim it's better than (insert OS here) because someone said so. However, I'm sure there are some folks out there that are very knowledgeable and prefer Mac OS X for some reason that is actually logical. I have yet to meet this person.

There is always a better, cheaper, alternative for anything Apple puts out. Also, please remember, anything with a processor in anyway, shape, or form that is designed for personal use is a PC. (How is that for old school?) PC does not equal Windows OS.

I prefer MSFT Windows over Apple OS X for a few simple reasons.
    1. MSFT doesn't care what you install your OS on, Apple will take you to the cleaners with lawyers for doing something that is completely legal with their OS. Not one company has been able to go the distance in court due to the costs of fighting Apple.
    2. Apple's OS is based entirely on tweaked Open Source products, in which they do not give proper credit for.
    3. Apple walls you off on what Applications/Programs you can use. (MSFT is trying to go this model with Windows 8, but we can all see how this path is working out for them.)
    4. Apple hardware is overpriced run of the mill hardware that is tweaked just enough so that upgrades are more expensive and one or more generations behind.

I don't want my post to be looked at as an Apple bash thread. However, unless I see otherwise I will not buy an Apple product. Until Apple comes out and tells the truth about their products and start allowing real power users to do what they wish with a product they have purchased, Apple in my opinion is a worse company than MSFT in my eyes.
    Big D
    My Blog
    AMD FX 9590 Vishera/32 Gig DDR3 1866/AMD R9 290X GHz Edition
    Win8.1 Pro 64 bit/Xubuntu 15.04 Beta 1 64 bit

Beans

^ +1
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    Erm... Examples?
    Not a comprehensive list, but the magnetic power cord, long battery life, fading sleep light (instead of blinking off and on brightly), great audio speakers, and extremely responsive trackpad are what I can think of off the top of my head.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast