Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome 3 window repaint problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Angry Gnome 3 window repaint problem

Hi.

I just wondered if anyone else is experiencing that Gnome 3 (gnome-shell) sometimes doesn't repaint window content. I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 and installed Gnome 3 instead of Unity. When I run Gnome in fallback mode this doesn't happen.

I have experienced this in gnome-terminal (exiting vim, running ls -l) and Emacs (pressing page down or selecting text). But by pressing Ctrl + Alt + left arrow (or right) or pressing print screen I can force the window to be redrawn.

I tried both the proprietary Nvidia driver in Ubuntu 11.10 and the driver proprietary available through X-swat team PPA (currently running version 285.05.09). Also sometimes X seems to increase in cpu usage after a while (constantly using around 10-20%) and this significantly increases the frequency of the "bug".

This also happened in 11.04 running Gnome 3 from the PPA.

I can't seem to find a bug report about it in launchpad. Does anyone else experince this?

This is the closest I get to other people experiencing the same problem:
    http://www.motifzone.net/forum/incom...-under-gnome-3
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=119884

Beans

Re: Gnome 3 window repaint problem

I have the same problem. No idea how to fix it tho. :/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

What hardware do you have?

Mine is a Dell Latitude E6400

Beans

I have the same problem intermittently on a Dell XPS 1530.

Thunderbird and Chrome suffer more often than most. For example, a change happens within a page in Chrome and it doesn't redraw until I run the mouse over it. Selecting messages in Thunderbird doesn't display them in the message pane.

It may be related, but I have a noticeable lag (1 - 3 seconds) when switching tabs in Terminal. I eventually switched to Terminator to allow multiple shells on one tab, but tab switching within Terminator is also slow (but not as slow as Terminal).

Unity is also very buggy for me, otherwise I'd use that

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Usually I can get the lag to stop for a short while by restarting gnome-shell (Alt+F2: r)

What Graphic card does your Dell XPS 1530 have?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wiscalico View Post
    Usually I can get the lag to stop for a short while by restarting gnome-shell (Alt+F2: r)

What Graphic card does your Dell XPS 1530 have?
    Thanks, wisacalo. Restarting does fix the problem for a very short time. After some small use (in one case, just opening the Activities window list) it slows down again.

I have an nVidia GeForce 8600M GT with the driver "version current".

For anyone else who tries alt-f2 + r and their shell gets stuck, run gnome-shell --replace

Beans

Another strange thing. Switching from one workspace to another sometimes takes 15 seconds or so while the computer just sits there doing nothing. This is especially likely if the workspace is empty.

Beans

I finally switched to xubuntu as my default desktop. WOW! It is fast. There are a few niggles compared to gnome, but I've fixed nearly all of them.

The exact same apps run much faster e.g. Terminator so it might be the graphics library or something.

FWIW, after a few days getting used to it, I really liked Gnome 3 except for ALT-Tab showing windows on all workspaces. However xubuntu is just so much faster I can't give that speed up. I'll check up again in 12.04

Beans

Hi,

Updating to 11.10 with Unity, I also am seeing the repaint problems on Xterms and Emacs.
    When pressing Ctrl-L in both a terminal or in emacs the windows get repainted sometimes
    correctly, sometimes in a different way with other parts of the window text missing.
    To reproduce the repaint problem I force repainting with Ctrl-L: this sometimes gets the
    content of a window incomplete.

My laptop is a Lenovo X120e with an AMD E-350 Processor
    VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc AMD Radeon HD 6310 GraphicsATI
    I do not use the proprietary graphics driver.

Beans

Did you ever find a solution? I have the same problem on an iMac.
    The bug is most frequent when i use texmaker, but also in gnome-terminal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast