Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gvfsd-metadata hogging 100% cpu!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation gvfsd-metadata hogging 100% cpu!!!

My system has been running fine for quite some time and then more recently it has become sluggish. Nautilus hangs very regularly, and often required a

Code:
    pkill nautilus
    to get things running again.

The issue didn't appear to be getting any better so I took a look at the processes running and realized that gvfsd-metadata is hogging 100% cpu cycles and nearly 60% of memory.

I'm on a revo r3600 ION single cpu machine with 1gb RAM. Ubuntu 32bit Karmic.

I've done some searches and seen a couple of others who appear to be suffering too ( http://www.mail-archive.com/desktop-...msg386162.html ).

with this only recently becoming an issue I'm sure either an update caused the issue or there is a conflict that remains unresolved.

Please help me fix this as it is really becoming quite a bothersome problem having to issue

Code:
    pkill gvfsd-metadata
    at regular intervals just to carry out normal everyday tasks.

If no-one can come up with anything then I shall reformat to see if that helps and if not I'll be throwing the machine out of the window.

Beans
    Distro

Re: gvfsd-metadata hogging 100% cpu!!!

Apparently (after having done lots of searching in the darkest depths of the internet) I have stumbled on a possible solution.

After a brief test it appears to have worked, though I haven't had time to thoroughly work the machine and make sure it is indeed running on top form. I shall update the post as necessary in the coming days after giving it a more comprehensive workout.

THE FIX:

It looks like your metadata store is got corrupted, leading to an infinite loop in the code.

FIX:
    The fix here is to remove the metadata storage, located in: ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata.
    I now believe that this could well have come about after the machine completely ran out of disk space one night whilst downloading. It seems to fall into place with regards to time-frame.

Fingers-crossed.
    Last edited by vjkeito; March 5th, 2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Idea as to why the problem has happened.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: gvfsd-metadata hogging 100% cpu!!!

I can happily confirm that the above fix does indeed rectify this issue. Hopefully this will at some point help others who come across this problem get their system running tip-top again.

The code to issue the fix is as follows:

Code:
    rm -rf ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, exactly the same scenario and your solution helped a lot.

Don't forget to check your hard disk space using
    Code:
    df -h
    and free some if necessary.

Thanks.

Beans

Same problem for me, hopefully this will fix it.

also, might this be the same bug that leads firefox, banshee and gnome-do to crash?

will see now if they stop.

Beans

Thanks vjkeito, had this problem today and this fixed it like a charm. I think my corruption had something to do with Eclipse, since that seems to be what triggered it.

Beans

Great stuff vjkeito!!

Helped me a lot with your posts, so thank you very mucho.

A couple of days ago my home partition got full up and I had to remove some stuff but even so and since then gvfsd-metadata was eating resources like crazy. So following your instructions i did:

rm -rf ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata
    pkill gvfsd-metadata
    And everything went back to normal!

Cheers!!

Beans

Same problem here, most likely because my disk was also entirely full a while ago. Ever since then from time to time nautilus would become very slow and this program used like 100% cpu.

A quick google led me straight to this post and I ran the fix. It will be a while before I can actually say for sure that it is fixed, but I got a good feeling bout it

Thanks!

Beans

Thanks a lot vjkeito, this issue was driving me crazy, now my computer works great again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I ran into the same issue a few times lately.

I had over 160 GB of free space, so I don't think that was an issue.
    However, I was attempting to move about 50,000 text files from an external disk to a folder on the internal disk.

When trying to do this... nautilus became sluggish, and I was unable to open any more folders.

However, other programs ran fine (4 core CPU).

Your solution seemed to fix the problem at least temporarily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast