Thread: Can't load snapshot VDI to restore lost data

Beans

Question Can't load snapshot VDI to restore lost data

I had posted previously about trying to access my VM. I've managed to get back into my VM but can't reload any of my previous VDI's to restore most of the files that were in my Windows XP. When I try, this is the error I get:

Failed to open the hard disk /home/robert/VirtualBox VMs/Windows XP/Snapshots/{daef7a85-9327-489e-b057-830a84a31bd8}.vdi.
    Parent medium with UUID {6c512f52-1390-4e36-9c6f-e31f9724fd99} of the medium '/home/robert/VirtualBox VMs/Windows XP/Snapshots/{daef7a85-9327-489e-b057-830a84a31bd8}.vdi' is not found in the media registry ('/home/robert/.VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml').

Details:
    Result Code:
    NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
    Component:
    Medium
    Interface:
    IMedium {9edda847-1279-4b0a-9af7-9d66251ccc18}
    Callee:
    IVirtualBox {d2de270c-1d4b-4c9e-843f-bbb9b47269ff}

Can anyone tell me how I can fix this? I have some very vital data that I need. It seems that it's just a matter of editing the XML file, but I don't know exactly what I need to do.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Can't load snapshot VDI to restore lost data

Hi ,
    I don't know how to solve your problem , but I post for a suggestion .

My suggestion is to make a post in VirtualBox forums too. https://forums.virtualbox.org/

Hopefully they will be able to help you.

Also take a look here : https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46264 , similar problem with yours.

Thanks

Beans

thank you! I had found that forum at work, but hadn't had a chance to save the link and couldn't find it when I got home. I look at the second link as well, and it does look similar.

ETA... and double, triple, thanks!!!!! - reading that link post helped me figure out what I needed to do - I have my files back!! [Includes a novel that I'm writing/revising for publication]
    Last edited by just4kixx; September 22nd, 2012 at 04:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

OK!

Glad you solved it .

Please use the thread tools and mark as solved.

Thanks