Thread: mce remote stopped working in mythfrontend

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question mce remote stopped working in mythfrontend

a real strange one here and stumped...

upgraded to 12.04 a few days ago (clean install) and everything went fine. have been
    using it without problems until today. for no reason the remote stopped working in
    mythfrontend. it won't do anything at all.

lirc is working fine. irw works correctly, as does hulu desktop. no changes were made
    to .lircrc or the files in ~/.lirc/

at the time it stopped working all i was doing was looking up metadata in mythvideo
    and it just quit accepting remote commands.

no obvious errors in any of the system logs or the backend log. the only lirc entries in the
    frontend log are that it successfully inits lircd. i have been trouble-shooting the
    life out of this for hours but there are no bread crumbs to follow.

the box is a combined frontend/master backend.

anyone got any guesses at this heavy-mystery?

Beans

Re: mce remote stopped working in mythfrontend

Quote Originally Posted by majoridiot View Post
    a real strange one here and stumped...

upgraded to 12.04 a few days ago (clean install) and everything went fine. have been
    using it without problems until today. for no reason the remote stopped working in
    mythfrontend. it won't do anything at all.

lirc is working fine. irw works correctly, as does hulu desktop. no changes were made
    to .lircrc or the files in ~/.lirc/

at the time it stopped working all i was doing was looking up metadata in mythvideo
    and it just quit accepting remote commands.

no obvious errors in any of the system logs or the backend log. the only lirc entries in the
    frontend log are that it successfully inits lircd. i have been trouble-shooting the
    life out of this for hours but there are no bread crumbs to follow.

the box is a combined frontend/master backend.

anyone got any guesses at this heavy-mystery?
    first things first- check the batteries!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    first things first- check the batteries!
    thanks nick... but been there and real done that too many times. have been running mythtv
    in ubuntu-land since the days when every module needed to be compiled by hand. even wrote
    an early set of ubuntu install instructions and also supported firewire access for years
    before mythbuntu evolved.

the first thing i did was replace batteries, even when irw worked and nothing else did.

was not overstating things when i said that i troubleshooted the life outta
    this thing.. at this point it's nearly to death.

have gone through everything from the obvious to the obsucure. checked memory, storage,
    system files... replaced system files, symlinks and everything else i can think of.

the remote works*perfectly* with everything except mythfrontend for no reason i can find.

it worked fine and then it didn't... and still won't... all in the same session
    with nothing done other than operating the frontend as intended.

have spent plenty time the last two days sifting through all bug reports, etc. and
    there is no explainable reason why this isn't working.

will give it a day or two and then bite the bullet and do another reinstall.

in these cases they say "blame the hardware" and i would... except the hardware toally checks
    out ok, the software worked for 3 or so days and then it just refused.

there's a reason why i don't like upgrading... even on fresh intalls. but at least it isn't as bad as windoze or osux.

thanks for trying tho...

Beans

There have been a lot of remote problems with the transition to later kernels where a lot of the remote work is done by devinput instead of, or alternatively to, lirc. It is all a mystery to me, and I don't have to bother with lirc thank the lord.

But to stop working in the middle of a session is disturbing. There weren't any package updates going on in the background?

Beans

Lirc = Hell.

Support for remotes break on kernel or lirc updates. Nobody knows why.

First of all, make sure that your myth lirc config is in ~/.lirc/mythtv and is linked to ~/.mythtv/lircrc.
    Second thing to check is, whether your lircrc file's remote control name and buttons (remote=... and button=... in lircrc) still matches with irw output. I've had a no-name USB remote, which was suddenly recognized as another model after updates.

I had your problem (irw working, but no signals arriving in MythTV) several times. I have several solutions which may possibly work. If none of them works, re-install of the whole system was the only solution that may work on a 50/50 basis. That's why I prefer a cordless keyboard over a remote.

Solution 1 - Reinstall Lirc:
    Use "apt-get purge lirc" to uninstall lirc with all config files. Then reinstall with "apt-get install lirc".

Solution 2 - Lirc from source:
    Compile lirc from sources. If the most recent version doesn't work, user 0.8.7 (that sometimes fixes the problem).

Solution 3 - Other kernel:
    As an alternative, use another kernel version. Sometimes, the kernel module updates break things.

If nothing works, buy a cordless keyboard and join the "I hate nobody really cares if Lirc breaks when updates are released" mailing list.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rotak View Post
    Lirc = Hell.

Support for remotes break on kernel or lirc updates. Nobody knows why.

First of all, make sure that your myth lirc config is in ~/.lirc/mythtv and is linked to ~/.mythtv/lircrc.
    Second thing to check is, whether your lircrc file's remote control name and buttons (remote=... and button=... in lircrc) still matches with irw output. I've had a no-name USB remote, which was suddenly recognized as another model after updates.

I had your problem (irw working, but no signals arriving in MythTV) several times. I have several solutions which may possibly work. If none of them works, re-install of the whole system was the only solution that may work on a 50/50 basis. That's why I prefer a cordless keyboard over a remote.

Solution 1 - Reinstall Lirc:
    Use "apt-get purge lirc" to uninstall lirc with all config files. Then reinstall with "apt-get install lirc".

Solution 2 - Lirc from source:
    Compile lirc from sources. If the most recent version doesn't work, user 0.8.7 (that sometimes fixes the problem).

Solution 3 - Other kernel:
    As an alternative, use another kernel version. Sometimes, the kernel module updates break things.

If nothing works, buy a cordless keyboard and join the "I hate nobody really cares if Lirc breaks when updates are released" mailing list.
    yeah... i know the woes of lirc and most (but apparently not all) of the workarounds...

the really odd thing is that it was working perfectly and just stopped working mid-session.
    i checked the logs and no updates were installed after the initial round of updates after the
    fresh install. it was just there one second and gone the next.

have seen and fixed a lot of wonky things on new mythtv installs (like the persistant inability
    to correctly configure nvidia driver to work with component 720p without having to edit xorg.conf
    by hand) but this one beats all.

have checked all config files, persmissions, etc. and everything is fine. have tried hard-coding
    .lircrc, .lircrc/mythv/mythtv to use only mythtv config for the remote... and even tried pointing
    the frontend to the actual location of lircd instead of the /dev/lircd symlink but all
    to no avail.

funny you should mention reinstalling lirc... because that's where things get REALLY weird.
    i tried that late last night. after uninstalling lirc, *most* of the remote buttons worked in mythv
    but of course failed on everything else, since lirc was no longer existing. how that can be
    i have no clue, especially since the frontend log had a glaring failed to init lirc error.

and yes, i did reboot after purging lirc, so it couldn't have been a lingering aftifact.

this one is really, really strange. i'll give it another couple of days to see if anyone has
    insight but i'm betting i'll have to bite the bullet and reinstall and reconfig everything again.
    what a pain, especially if this happens again.

thanks for the input, tho!

Beans

Hey Guys -

Didn't know if this was ever officially solved. I spent about 2 weeks trying to figure this issue out myself and determined that there were multiple layers to the problem.

I too upgraded (believe it or not, only to Ubuntu vs 11.10 running Mythbuntu 0.24) and all of a sudden my HULUDESKTOP quick working.

Windows remote worked perfectly with MythTV. No issues at all, so I knew it wasn't the remote.
    Ran irw and watched the input that the remote was giving. AH-HA! Then my answers started coming to me.

I modified my .huludesktop file to reflect the following:

Code:
    [display]
    fullscreen = TRUE
    width = 1360
    height = 720
    pos_x = 0
    pos_y = 48

[remote]
    lirc_device = /dev/lircd
    lirc_remote_identifier = mceusb
    lirc_release_suffix = _UP
    lirc_repeat_threshold = 10
    button_name_up = KEY_UP
    button_name_down = KEY_DOWN
    button_name_left = KEY_LEFT
    button_name_right = KEY_RIGHT
    button_name_select = KEY_OK
    button_name_menu = KEY_HOME

[flash]
    flash_location = /home/~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

[screensaver]
    suspend_script = (null)
    resume_script = (null)

[version]
    latest = (null)
    eula_version = 1

The first trick was in the lirc_device = /dev/lircd line. Apparently with some updates, that may have moved? I'm a little unclear on how Kernel updates work, so I won't try to act like I know what I'm talking about.

The second trick was in the button names!!
    How all of that got screwed up, I'll never know. It may have been one of those frustrating points where I wiped out Huludesktop and started fresh.

Hope this helps you or some other poor soul like me who spent hours upon hours trying to figure this out.

chris