Thread: Ubuntu is freezing and hanging up

Beans

Ubuntu is freezing and hanging up

Hello everyone, I'm rather new to ubuntu and I'm having a bit of an issue. The other day I put Ubuntu 12.04 on one of my flash drives. The issue I'm having is that when I try to boot from it, it makes it to the Ubuntu logo and the loading screen and just sticks there. A couple of times I made it past that, but it promptly froze. I should note that I was able to take the same flash drive and use a different computer and it worked flawlessly so I'm certain that nothing is corrupted.

So I'm turning to the experts here in hopes that someone may be able to help me figure out this problem I'm having. Any help would be appreciated.

A little info about the machine I'm having the issue on:
    CPU: Intel Core i7
    Memory: 8gbs DDR3 OCZ
    Video: Nvidia 580gx
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus 4

If you need more information, let me know and thanks in advanced for your help.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu is freezing and hanging up

I had the same problem when installing ubuntu on my pc, must have been the nvidia gpu that made it a bit complicated to install.

follow the steps in this guide, it got my system working.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/12730...rce-gtx-550-ti

Beans

Thank you, I'll give that a shot when I get home from work

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

It also may be a usb port. Sometimes one of mine balks, and other times it works fine. I just use another when that happens.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

Thanks for the help so far. I was able to get version 11.10 working, but then my internet stopped working, and what I mean by that is it shows I'm connected, and I have an ip address, but the webpages wont load.

Still not sure why I'm having all these problems. And just a side note, I've also tried Mint 13, and have gotten a similar problem. However I tried OpenSUSE and was able to boot to it from my flash drive just fine.

Again, anything that might help, would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus