Thread: Can't install on Lenovo U310

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Can't install on Lenovo U310

So, I recently got a Lenovo U310 and decided to dual boot on it. I copy the 12.04 ISO to my flash drive, and proceed to installing Ubuntu. After a few attempts I give up on dual booting, and just decided to go for a complete new install. After around 5 more attempts, I have had no luck, and currently my computer just stops at a PXE-MOF screen and then restarts. I currently have no idea whats wrong. I was trying to install '/' and '/boot' and the swap on the 32gb SSD, and then have '/home' on the 500gb HD. I tried typing in the commmands,
    Code:
    sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sda
    sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sdb
    But it didn't work. I've tried going into the bios and turning off "Intel Rapid Start Technology", I've tried switching the harddrive/SSD to ACHI, I've tried not even using the SSD and only using the HD, but no luck there either. I feel like it's not installing grub or something. At this point I'm out of ideas, and currently have a 700$ paperweight. So, by chance, does anyone have any more ideas?

Thanks,
    Colin.

EDIT: Solved it.
    Last edited by COLiNx86; September 20th, 2012 at 10:59 PM.

Beans

Re: Can't install on Lenovo U310

I have the same problem, how did you solve it?
    Thanks,
    Andi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I finally managed to get it by turning of iRST in the BIOS, switching the HD/SSD to ACHI, and then the last part that took me a while to figure out, once you're in your BIOS (Fn+F12 at boot) go over to the Boot tab and change the first option (UEFI) to disabled.

Just a warning, but the WiFi performance on this laptop and Ubuntu sucks. I never had any issues with it on Windows 7, but on Ubuntu I'm lucky to get more than 56Kbps. Maybe someone knows a solution??
    EDIT: I take that back..The download performance sucks. I can browse the web and everything is okay (only okay, though), but whenever I try to download something I get awful performance.
    Last edited by COLiNx86; September 27th, 2012 at 04:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I've read somewhere on the web that the WiFi got repaired on the U310 & U410 laptops produced in august 2012 or later.