Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iOS 6 doesn't recognize CUPS print shares

Beans

iOS 6 doesn't recognize CUPS print shares

I upgraded my iPhone 4S to iOS 6 yesterday, and just noticed that the phone no longer shows the printer I shared in Ubuntu.

An iPad on our network that still runs iOS 5.1.1 shows the printer just fine.

Does anyone know what's going on? Any fixes?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: iOS 6 doesn't recognize CUPS print shares

This thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1396875 mentions needing to turn wifi off and then back on, on the iPhone. Knowing Apple, they probably started forcing a certificate check or something else because they probably get a kickback on sales of AirPrint enabled printers and don't want old printers having that functionality for free. You should see if Avahi has a log and check its contents for messages regarding your printer.

Beans

I suspect you're right that Apple has been mucking about. I killed the avahi-daemon and let init respawn it. It happily logs that it is starting up and all's well. No errors are in the log when I try to connect via my iOS 6 iPhone, even after restarting Wifi on the iPhone. The iOS 6 just doesn't see any printers.

iOS 5.1.1 devices work fine still.

Apple has broken it. I knew I should have stuck with Android...

Beans

Don't touch IOS6 until it's jailbroken... that's my motto... if there isn't a jailbreak for it I am not interested... F U APPLE!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
    Apple has broken it. I knew I should have stuck with Android...
    To paraphrase Morpheus: "No one can be told how bad Apple will screw you, you must experience it for yourself."

Beans

I am having this problem as well.

It's interesting, though. When I try to print something from say, the notes app, the Ipad will show my printer (a Canon) and display it's name, but then when I try to print nothing happens. So it's recognizing that it exists at least, just not communicating. Furthermore, when I try to search for new printers it will say no air printers found, but when I click back the printer will still be there and it will give me the option to print. But again, clicking print results in nothing.

Other printing apps from the app store, such as PrintDirect, still work fine and will print their demo pages without issue and just like it used to be with iOS 5. Not sure what's going on, but it's all pretty sketchy to me.

Following the instructions in that other thread post (restarting everything and trying again) did nothing to improve my situation. Maybe it will help others though. I am running 12.04 desktop edition with a cups server and iOS 6 on my iPad 3, for what it's worth. I haven't restarted my router yet though. Maybe that will do something. Maybe. But probably not. I'll try it though.

If anyone finds anything out on this, please let me know! I loved that functionality and I'm sad to see it go. I have doubts about Apple doing anything to fix it, and would be disappointed if I'm restricted to third party printing apps.

Beans

I looked around on the apple support community. Doesn't seem like there's much info, but it is explicitly stated that AirPrint will not function without a certified AirPrint printer.

That sucks.

I think our best option is to wait and pray that avahi and all those other programs (it's been awhile since I set it all up) comes up with an update that makes it compatible with our non-official devices. We'll have to wait and see if a solution emerges.

Beans

Hopefully this is resolved soon.. I've tinkered with it had an awesome setup with avahi-daemon and PaperCut MF where I work. Hate my users to be stuck with iOS5 or not have printing on their iPad. If any of you hear of a fix then please reply here if possible.

Beans

Same problem It is however something that was fixed for MAC OSX AirPrint activator http://netputing.com/airprintactivat...ctivator-v3-0/. I quickly tried it on my mac and the problem disappears.
    I however would like it fixed on my unbuntu server guess, avahi needs an update ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sven Verhaegen View Post
    Same problem It is however something that was fixed for MAC OSX AirPrint activator http://netputing.com/airprintactivat...ctivator-v3-0/. I quickly tried it on my mac and the problem disappears.
    I however would like it fixed on my unbuntu server guess, avahi needs an update ...
    Would you be willing see if there is an XML file generated by airprint-activator similar to the one located at
    Code:
    /etc/avahi/services/{printername}.service
    . If airprint-activator generates an XML file, can you post both here so we can compare and contact the author of airprint-generate.py?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast