Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Trying to make Ubuntu run like Arch

Re: Trying to make Ubuntu run like Arch

At boot, my little 750Mhz only needs 52Mb to reach the desktop. After starting XMMS and Realplayer 10 and running for three or four hours, I'm only up to 72Mb.

It's very speedy to boot, too ... if you can find the post on automatically logging in without GDM, that makes the whole login+startxfce4 process quicker too.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

That's not bad. My startup with all the icon & window themes is 59.5mb (according to conky). When I use swiftfox, ut jumps to ~78mb.

I'm editing my original post with a few tweaks I've discovered since the end of June. Thus far, they still don't push Ubuntu to the speed of Arch, but the gap (in my perspective) is narrowing.

If I get the time and inclination, I'll rearrange this as a collective howto for older machines. I'm still tweaking and finding new ways of doing things. It's a learning process. ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

right now im running my old portable machine with ubuntu and its extremely fast

i installed ubuntu 5.10 server, dist-upgraded it to dapper, installed xorg, xdm, blackbox, synaptic, firefox, vlc, xmms, gaim, xterm and a few other things from automatix, and its super fly

edit:
    its an intel celeron with mmx 466mhz 128k L2 cache
    64mb sd ram
    s3virge 4mb graphics
    6.4gb disk
    Laptop: i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz (~3.7GHz); 2x 4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600MHz; Nvidia 780M 4GB; Crucial M4 256GB SSD; Ubuntu 14.04 LTS x64 and Windows 8.1 x64.
    Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Wink Re: Trying to make Ubuntu run like Arch

Is there a speed reason for starting with 5.10 or is that just what you did?

Thank you.

BTW Speed is a worthy goal and time is something you will never get back (yet still, I tinker).

I have a real challenge. How about an old Thinkpad 560 (no E,X,Z or nothin') notebook with 24MB RAM, 2.1G HD and weird sudo 256K (8bit) 800x600 Trident9660/Cyber xx85 DSTN screen? How do I get a fast ubuntu on that? Deli Linux (with X and fluxbox) almost worked, but for the crappy Video. I'd say deli Linux (Beta) is the lowest one can go and still have decent (opinion) X apps. (Yes I know about DSL.)

...and another thing(laptop). I will not even tell you (well, I guess I am) about my 200MB HD (not GB), 8MB RAM (not 80MB), TFT 800x600, Satelite notebook! He he. It's a miracle of science that it runs 95(now)! Full Deli (makes me hungry) at 400MB wouldn't even fit here. Shouldn't it be able to run Linux (X at least like 95) too? Too bad 95 is SO old(and unsecure).

Just so you know what a old computer really is.

Seriouly I guess I have to bite the bullet and go for a (remove HD and copy software to it) full fledged (what does fledged mean?); custom install of either Slackware or Debian; on the Thinkpad. I (think) Slack might be trimmer but I sure would prefer the Debian way.

What do you know about these?
    Last edited by Neobuntu; October 4th, 2006 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neobuntu View Post
    I have a real challenge. How about an old Thinkpad 560 (no E,X,Z or nothin') notebook with 24MB RAM, 2.1G HD and weird sudo 256K (8bit) 800x600 Trident9660/Cyber xx85 DSTN screen? How do I get a fast ubuntu on that? Deli Linux (with X and fluxbox) almost worked, but for the crappy Video. I'd say deli Linux (Beta) is the lowest one can go and still have decent (opinion) X apps. (Yes I know about DSL.)

I will not even tell you (well, I guess I am) about my 200MB HD (not GB), 8MB RAM (not 80MB), TFT 800x600, Satelite notebook! He he. It's a miracle of science that it runs 95(now)! Full Deli (makes me hungery) at 400MB wouldn't even fit here. Shouldn't it be able to run Linux (X at least like 95) too? Too bad 95 is SO old(and unsecure).

Just so you know what a old computer really is.

Seriouly I guess I have to bite the bullet and go for a (remove HD and copy software to it) full fledged (what does fledged mean?); custom install of either Slackware or Debian. I (think) Slack might be trimmer but I sure would prefer the Debian way.

What do you know about these?
    You're right: With machines that old, you almost have to go with another distro.

For what I've seen, the biggest problems for Ubuntu are memory and hard drive space. I tried to install Ubuntu on 32Mb of memory, and the installer freaks out. You end up leaving out important stuff -- like network cards -- because it needs all the space it can get just to run itself.

Then you're left with a crippled text-based system that takes minutes to boot anyway, and it becomes a slow, mind-numbing experience. I did it once or twice, got frustrated, then put more memory in.

Additionally, it takes 300Mb to put a server into place, and I've not been able to trim a functional GUI to below 700Mb total, with the server install. It might be possible, but you'd have to pick-and-choose things from x-window-system-core, and that could take forever.

Which isn't to say it isn't possible. It just means it's tricky, time-consuming, and in the end, might not be worth the effort involved.

Except you would win the admiration and respect of everyone on the forums.

Beans
    Distro

Being right is so, well, cozy. LOL

No really, I don't have a problem with a distro like Ubuntu moving toward newer, faster hardware that most everyone has.

Yet, I'd hate to toss a working computer and these experiments intrigue me. So it's nice to have options.

So I'm back tring, to out-do 95 but with newer, safer software. It's not easy. Hardware limits are hardware limits. Still, they can perform many tasks and also the tasks that they did back in their day. What to do? It's definately a hobby and wastes time. Maybe I'll make a large screen MP3 player out of it.

There are lots of minidistros out there, entire linux-based systems on a floppy. ...

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Floppy/

I doubt very much you'll find one as full-featured as Ubuntu but you never know. Even a distro on five or six floppies could make those ancient machines usable again.

Good luck! Let us know what happens!

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Trying to make Ubuntu run like Arch

Yeah, I must go out on a limb and say Linux does not shine as bright on really old hardware (so as not to miss lead).

But what is really old and what are we doing with the old thing?

Good results can come from the time invested but they can never exceed their hardware. Yet, they can pretend to, as a client; given the minimum specs for that. See Edubuntu.
    Last edited by Neobuntu; October 5th, 2006 at 05:46 PM.

Just a quick update ... I added jdong's e2fsck tweak, a note about Swiftfox and a few points on the processor-specific kernels. Nothing major, but worth mentioning.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast