Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install Ubuntu 12.04 on a pre-configured Intel RST SSD

Beans

Install Ubuntu 12.04 on a pre-configured Intel RST SSD

I just purchased a Dell XPS 8500 that ships with 2TB of mechanical HDD + 32 GB of SSD preconfigured to use Intel RST. It seems like RST isn't supported in linux so I'd like to take advantage of the 32GB SSD and install Ubuntu on it rather than use it as a cache for windows. From what I understand these are the steps I need to take:

1. Disable Intel RST from the RST GUI in windows
    2. Set both HDD and SSD to non-RAID mode (AHCI)
    3. Install Ubuntu on the SSD (all of ubuntu including GRUB)
    4. Install Win 7 on the HDD (will unplug the SSD so that Win 7 doesn't mess with the SSD)
    5. Add an virtual entry in GRUB to be able to dual boot into Win 7.

End result should be, Ubuntu in the SSD completely silo-ed from Win 7 in the HDD and the ability to boot into either from GRUB.

Could someone confirm this will/will not work and if it won't let me know what steps I'm missing or if I'm just mis-understanding the whole thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Install Ubuntu 12.04 on a pre-configured Intel RST SSD

After step 2, add step 2a: Remove dmraid (meta raid) data from both disks. It will remain there since Intel RST configures them in some sort of weird raid.

Boot the ubuntu cd in live mode first, and in terminal:
    sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sda
    sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sdb

Except for this added step, what you described should work just fine.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Some that have done the same thing. As Darko says your procedure should work.

Intel Smart Response Technology & Dell XPS
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2036204
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2020155
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2038121
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

[removed duplicate post]
    Last edited by kfox86; September 19th, 2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: duplicate

Beans

darkod, oldfred Thank you for confirming. I've been researching the correct way to do this for 2 days now after someone else on StackExchange superuser said that I probably wouldn't be able to use the pre-configured SSD SRT as a regular SSD to boot Ubuntu. But theoretically I couldn't figure out why not (unless some special hardware wiring since this box is supposed to come pre-configured).

[EDIT] My box just got delivered so I'm going to go through the process tonight. I'll post my result here.
    Last edited by kfox86; September 19th, 2012 at 06:26 PM.

Beans

UPDATE: I went through the steps mentioned above, additionally, I dmraid -E -r /dev/sdb. I was able to install ubuntu no problem, and GRUB magically picked up the windows boot loader from sda (so I skipped the virtual mapping part for GRUB). Do also have to dmraid /dev/sda?

Also when I opened up the computer I noticed that the SDD was actually attached to the HDD and only had ONE SATA and power cable for both. I've never seen this configuration. Is this a hybrid drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If it works you don't need to dmraid /dev/sda, although it shouldn't delete any data if you do.

I mentioned doing it on both disks as a precaution since I don't know the exact setup of Intel RST.
    Darko.

Beans

Thanks darkod! Windows boots fine, but since it is on AHCI mode now I just wondering if it was good practice to have the RAID meta data removed from HDD as well. I'll play around with it once my Ubuntu is stable enough.

Do you have any ideas about what that HDD+SSD combination might be? I was expecting two different drives, but found one that was attached to another and only one SATA and power plugs for both of them. I'm wondering if the SSD's performance is negatively impacted since it is "sharing" the bandwidth (cable) with the mechanical drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unfortunately I have no idea why the disk is made like that. Yes, that might be a hybrid disk (never seen one of those).

As for speed impact, you are right in having doubts, but again, I have no idea what and how big the impact would be. The logic says that there should be an impact when sharing the same SATA data cable, but who knows.

Mechanical HDD can't fill much of the data cable anyway, so there might be enough bandwidth in the cable left for the SSD to fire up.
    Darko.

Beans

Yea I'll do some more digging when I get home and can actually find the brand and model no. of this weird drive. As for the speed, SATA III has 6Gbits/s = 750MB/s bandwidth and if I assume the HDD's speed is 150MB/s and SSD 540MB/s that's still only 690MB/s so I guess they won't use up the entire bandwidth, although in reality there may be some performance degradation. I ordered a 128GB SSD so I'll post some bench marks once I get everything up and running on the new SSD. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast