Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Cinnamon Desktop Environment

Beans

Re: Cinnamon Desktop Environment

Quote Originally Posted by GeForce 9500GT View Post
    Simplicity? Speed? Not that ridiculus Unity environment? The menu looks as it should be in every distro? It's what users really want as a menu or DE? And what extra little bling you mean?
    It is built on Gnome3, so there is no speed advantage over Gnome3. The other comments translate as "I just want it to be Gnome2"

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by GeForce 9500GT View Post
    And what extra little bling you mean?
    Hot corners and all the blingy effects associated with them.

As for your rhetorical questions... Use Cinnamon if you like it, but if one steps back and dispassionately considers the matter, the DE gives the user less than XFCE (except for a Gnome base) and with no advantages that I can think of. I still can't get past the fact that Gnome Shell, Unity and Cinnamon are each shipping with crippled and non-functioning User/Group and Print Manager apps. That just amazes me. Astonishing. The incompetence is -- really -- kind of amazing.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    cursed thou are hot corners!
    I hate that! I hate it when i move a window around on my desktop that it automatically expands over the whole desktop when i let it go!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I still can't get past the fact that Gnome Shell, Unity and Cinnamon are each shipping with crippled and non-functioning User/Group and Print Manager apps. That just amazes me. Astonishing. The incompetence is -- really -- kind of amazing.
    Well spoken! Basically Gnome shell/Unity/cinnamon are DE's which doesn't take a step forward but rather a hugh step backwards. For experienced users it is more like an insult rather than an improvement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

As for your rhetorical questions... Use Cinnamon if you like it, but if one steps back and dispassionately considers the matter, the DE gives the user less than XFCE (except for a Gnome base) and with no advantages that I can think of. I still can't get past the fact that Gnome Shell, Unity and Cinnamon are each shipping with crippled and non-functioning User/Group and Print Manager apps. That just amazes me. Astonishing. The incompetence is -- really -- kind of amazing.
    I agree with this. Fortunately, both issues are easily solved. I created a desktop launcher to call "system-config-printer". I installed "gnome-system-tools" to get the better 'users and groups' app. It's found in applications.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I too tried Mint about six times OK for a day then froze, in two cases a blank screen [blue shades of ?] only Avant on the desktop no bars etc, on reboot after cutting power comes up again the same.
    Reinstalled Ubuntu 12.04 works OK until I loaded Digikam when it locked into a blank screen, this never happened before with Digikam I have used it for years.
    When I removed Digikam Ubuntu seems to run OK so far, fingers crossed.
    I did like Mint and it's interface a lot, I may try again without Digikam perhaps a partition, although when I did this "Mint" did not allow a boot choice in fact I could not boot at all.
    As I say may try again I really do not like this Unity desktop at all.
    May even try Suse or something.
    Hallucigenia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have three of my six Linux installations running 12.04.1; two others run Natty (11.04), and one runs Lucid (10.04.4). Support for Natty is supposed to end this month. I am still trying to figure out what to do with those installations.

I've found much to like about Precise, but am still spending too much time trying to figure out how to tweak it. Both the printer and users-and-groups issues have bitten me. I'm also unhappy with some of the colors on my current desktop and in some windows, but have already spent too many hours and tried too many attempted fixes to feel that I can spend any more time on this issue.

What is everyone else going to do when Natty support ends this month? When Lucid support ends next Spring?

The last Ubuntu upgrade that I was really pleased with, and that did not disrupt my work, was from Lucid to Maverick. At times, I'm tempted to reinstall (unsupported) Maverick. People say it would be subject to security issues that have been fixed in later releases, but how serious are the security threats to Linux anyway?
    System76 Pangolin (Panp5) Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Futurian View Post
    The last Ubuntu upgrade that I was really pleased with, and that did not disrupt my work, was from Lucid to Maverick. At times, I'm tempted to reinstall (unsupported) Maverick. People say it would be subject to security issues that have been fixed in later releases, but how serious are the security threats to Linux anyway?
    Check for yourself: these are the security vulnerabilities serious enough to have fixes backported all the way to Natty; Maverick support ended in early April. Natty support will end later this month.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: Cinnamon Desktop Environment

Ubutntu Cinnamon Remix has now been released! It is based on Ubuntu 12.04.1 with the cinnamon desktop as default, classic panel configuration (two panels), weather applet preinstalled, multimedia codecs and plug-ins included, and xscreensaver preinstalled as well. For maximum compatibility the 32-bit version uses the non-pae kernel and only non-gl screensavers.) The 64-bit version is also available. During the install, be sure to select the hard drive MBR (the default choice will likely be the usb stick from which you are installing — Ubuntu upstream bug.) Features Cinnamon 1.6.1

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cinnamon-remix/files/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Once again I tried Mint with Cinnamon and it works fine for a day then locks and a restart is needed via the power key, it also seems to corrupt the win install somehow, I need Win to run cameras etc. software, So I wiped the disk and installed via the HP restore disks a new copy of 7, Mint still played up even effecting Ubuntu, so at the moment I just run Win 7.
    But will see what transpires, but I did like Mint a lot if it would only work.
    Hallucigenia

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast