Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: t430 wifi problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

t430 wifi problems

I just got a new thinkpad t430 and I'm having some wifi issues. I'm able to connect (in both windows and ubuntu) to mine and other people's personal wifi networks. In windows I'm able to connect to public wifi networks, but not in Ubuntu (I can usually temporarily get a connection but in a couple of minutes the connection will stop working).

How should I go about debugging this?

edit: If it helps, my lspci: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1204994/ and my lsmod: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1204993/
    Last edited by alecbenzer; September 17th, 2012 at 06:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: t430 wifi problems

bump -- anyone have any ideas? It's been almost 2 weeks since I've gotten my t430 and I'm still not really able to use ubuntu on it...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alecbenzer View Post
    I just got a new thinkpad t430 and I'm having some wifi issues. I'm able to connect (in both windows and ubuntu) to mine and other people's personal wifi networks. In windows I'm able to connect to public wifi networks, but not in Ubuntu (I can usually temporarily get a connection but in a couple of minutes the connection will stop working).
    I've been using ubuntu on a t430 for a while now and I'm not seeing the same problem you are. Meaning, I connect to public or private it all seems the same to me. And it should be. So sorry for the silly question, but are you putting in the correct public password? Are you running on the 2G or 5G layer?

I should add, which wireless card did you order and have you updated to the latest drivers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah I'd been hoping that going with lenovo I'd be avoiding the normal support issues I have with Ubuntu :/

I'm able to briefly connect to the wifi networks and access the internet but shortly after it disconnects (used to last maybe ~15mins, lately it seems even less, like <5) So yes, I'm putting in the correct password/using the right security/etc.

Are you running on the 2G or 5G layer?
    Not sure what this means :/

edit:

I should add, which wireless card did you order and have you updated to the latest drivers?
    Linked to my lspci and my lsmod above. I didn't specifically order any particular card but according to lspci it's a Realtek RTL8188CE. I've tried installing the manufacturer drivers and it seemed to be successful but I'm not sure if it actually worked or not.
    Last edited by alecbenzer; September 18th, 2012 at 04:35 PM.

Beans

Sorry for being obtuse. I was trying to understand if you where using the 2Ghz band or the newish 5Ghz band. However, your Realtek only uses the 2Ghz band and not the 5. Incidently, your problem also exists in windows see :
    http://www.edugeek.net/forums/window...-problems.html

That said, have you tried the solution explained here?

http://askubuntu.com/questions/95360...a-lenovo-x121e

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Interesting, I'm not experiencing this problem at all in windows.

Anyway, I'll try the solution from the AskUbuntu thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Tried the solution (re-compiling the kernel driver). At first I thought it had helped but now I'm back to experiencing the same problems again...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Bump -- anyone have any idea how to fix this? I've tried installing's Realtek drivers, compiling the linux drivers, nothing seems to help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Bump -- it's been 3 weeks since I've gotten this thing and I still can't get usable wifi in ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Bump -- no wifi for almost a month

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast