Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu and Silverlight

Beans

Re: Ubuntu and Silverlight

No it won't work even with moonlight your best cheapish option is to get something like a roku.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    No it won't work even with moonlight your best cheapish option is to get something like a roku.
    +1

Or get any of the three major gaming consoles(wii,xbox,ps3)
    Or a new generation TV(most now have internet and some like mine has Netflix app built in.
    Or any number of devices that have a connection and can run Netflix.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu and Silverlight

I have ubuntu 12.04 32bit, several browsers, tried to install
    moonlight from the "monoculture" (?) website, that monoproject...
    "go mono" -i think going mono that way is not such a good idea for the Internet-, so far alas it did not work for me:

I downloaded "moonlight" for firefox,
    but then I can see the site's original silverlight environment to sign in (this is the problem why I need to get this moonlight clone (?) working), and they have no other way, no alternative way to sign in to get into my account,
    but then I succeeded in downloading and installing
    the moonlight in firefox, yet... then
    somehow I cannot type in my data
    to enter, so...: alas. It seems stuck.

Is there really no available "workaround"?

Else (although I feel no hope in this): what can be the alternative for them, owners of the site where is my account, so everyone who is allowed to, could sign in?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ronny_d View Post
    I have ubuntu 12.04 32bit, several browsers, tried to install
    moonlight from the "monoculture" (?) website, that monoproject...
    "go mono" -i think going mono that way is not such a good idea for the Internet-, so far alas it did not work for me:

I downloaded "moonlight" for firefox,
    but then I can see the site's original silverlight environment to sign in (this is the problem why I need to get this moonlight clone (?) working), and they have no other way, no alternative way to sign in to get into my account,
    but then I succeeded in downloading and installing
    the moonlight in firefox, yet... then
    somehow I cannot type in my data
    to enter, so...: alas. It seems stuck.

Is there really no available "workaround"?

Else (although I feel no hope in this): what can be the alternative for them, owners of the site where is my account, so everyone who is allowed to, could sign in?
    What site are you talking about?
    If you are asking about a problem with your system, make sure to give details about your setup. OTHERWISE, NO ONE CAN HELP YOU.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Apple may be hated a lot, but one thing I like about them is that Apple is actively promoting HTML5, while abandoning browser plugins like Flash and Silverlight.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Apple abandoning Flash and Silverlight is only because they are competitor's products.

Ever have to install Quicktime on Windows to watch something? After that you get bombarded with requests to install other Apple items.

Hopefully HTML5 will change all of this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moonlight was always playing catchup with silverlight. And it never caught up or will it ever now.

I need silverlight for the bskyb skygo feature, So I use Win 7 for that on my dual boot lappy.

I tried getting moonlight to work on firefox and gave up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Moonlight was always playing catchup with silverlight. And it never caught up or will it ever now.
    Moonlight died when Attachmate bought out Novell & fired the Mono team. And writing Moonlight was always a huge undertaking - one which the wider FOSS community never once helped with or did anything but denigrate.
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I read that less than 1% of websites use silverlight, so Moonlight was not worthy the energy used to develop it. BUT neverteless some very important websites still makes use of silverlight (TV channel, airline companies). So Ubuntu here is not productive, we have to reboot on windows to use these! HTML5 is not a solution in those cases...
    What about creating a list of important companies using silverlight, and organize a mass-petition to make them switch?
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.
    (Noam Chomsky)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

One solution I've seen is an XP virtual machine. I don't know if/how this will work once XP support is officially discontinued in April of 2014 (I think). I don't care about netflix but I think if I did I'd either try the VM solution or buy a device that supported it, like a cheap blue ray player or game console.
    Last edited by kurt18947; January 13th, 2013 at 04:47 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast