Thread: Gazelle with Two Hard Drives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Gazelle with Two Hard Drives

I'm considering purchasing a Gazelle with a second SSD + Caddy Case in place of the optical drive. Is the 2nd SSD attached internally as is the first hard drive, or is the 2nd SSD to be used externally via the caddy case? Is it still possible to plug in an external optical drive via USB? Thanks very much.

Dom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Gazelle with Two Hard Drives

I would expect that the DVD drive would be replaced since you have to remove the drive to put in the caddy.
    I doubt they would put a stamp on the box that reads "Some assembly required".
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

I have a gazp6 with this configuration. I use the SSD to boot from and have a 500GB second drive in the caddy in the optical bay. It is internally attached and cannot be removed easily. Certainly, you can still use external USB optical drives.

When the system arrived, and ever since, the second drive does not automatically mount when I boot. I never cared enough to mess around with /etc/fstab and figure out how to get automount to work properly. This is because it is very quick to mount the drive manually, either by command line or using the Disk Utility. Overall the configuration has worked very well for me, but I wanted to let you know that there might be kinks -- of course, maybe these have been worked out since I purchased my system last year.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks very much for the info! If I do decide to purchase the Gazelle, I'll get the 2nd SSD.