Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Urgent help required

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    21

    Re: Urgent help required

    Ah yes right, my bad, the /home/ is of course the live cd's home dir.

    You have to mount the drive first. Depending on the live distro there should be an icon on the desktop that should read something in the line of '999 gb' filesystem.

    Otherwise try this and post the results:
    Press CTRL+ALT+T and write fdisk -l /dev/sda, post results

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London
    Beans
    17
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Urgent help required

    it wont mount, something about bad sector. i did some research and it looks like its corrupted. it wont even let me download boot repair via terminal. so im downloading ubuntu secure remix which comes with boot repair built in. Hopefully i can repair it from there, if not..

    well im fresh out of ideas

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Beans
    209
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Urgent help required

    Quote Originally Posted by adjbck View Post
    it wont mount, something about bad sector. i did some research and it looks like its corrupted. it wont even let me download boot repair via terminal. so im downloading ubuntu secure remix which comes with boot repair built in. Hopefully i can repair it from there, if not..

    well im fresh out of ideas
    The hard drive could be failing, but you may be able to repair the problems (even if temporarily) and recover data by using fsck on the disk. If you boot the Live USB and open a terminal, you should be able to type "sudo fsck -f /dev/sda1" (but you may have to replace /dev/sda1 with the appropriate partitions for your system) to check and possibly repair the partitions on the disk. Do you know how to see the partitions on your drive? If not, do what MC_Claus suggested earlier: open a terminal and check the output of "sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda" (where /dev/sda is the device name for the hard disk). If you don't understand the output, or you want us to look at it, or something along those lines, just post it (or copy as much of it as you can) here.

    The drive should be UN-mounted while you do the above things, so do not mount it when you boot the Live USB.

    EDIT: Just a reminder if you don't know: to open a terminal, you can hit CTRL + ALT + t.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London
    Beans
    17
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Urgent help required

    When i type "sudo fsck -f /dev/sda1" i get the response

    fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
    e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
    fsck.ext4: Filesystem revision too high while trying to open /dev/sda1
    The filesystem revision is apparently too high for this version of e2fsck.
    (Or the filesystem superblock is corrupt)


    The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
    filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
    is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>


    "sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda" gives me

    Disk /dev/sda: 7682 MB, 7682605056 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 934 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x000cb0f5

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 888 7127040 83 Linux
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda2 888 934 372737 5 Extended
    Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda5 888 934 372736 82 Linux swap / Solaris

    honestly im so confused dude

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    21

    Re: Urgent help required

    As jrog suggested your drive might be failing, or close to faling.

    I did a quick Google after the response from fsck, and found this:
    http://linuxexpresso.wordpress.com/2...ock-in-ubuntu/

    Lets try it!

    Start with
    Code:
    sudo fsck.ext4 -v /dev/sda1
    And lets see the output, if it looks anything like the output from the link i posted (I haven't tried it, haven't had the problem before, so lets take it step by step).

    (Another thing you could try is, if you have tried it before and have the 'gear', is to remove the harddrive and put it in a USB tray and connect to another computer)

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London
    Beans
    17
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Urgent help required

    @MC_Claus - i tried what you said and this is the reply

    e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
    fsck.ext4: Filesystem revision too high while trying to open /dev/sda1
    The filesystem revision is apparently too high for this version of e2fsck.
    (Or the filesystem superblock is corrupt)


    The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
    filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
    is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Beans
    209
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Urgent help required

    Quote Originally Posted by adjbck View Post
    When i type "sudo fsck -f /dev/sda1" i get the response

    fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
    e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
    fsck.ext4: Filesystem revision too high while trying to open /dev/sda1
    The filesystem revision is apparently too high for this version of e2fsck.
    (Or the filesystem superblock is corrupt)


    The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
    filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
    is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
    See what it says at the end there? What is the output of that command? (Type "sudo e2fsck -f -b 8193 /dev/sda1" at the terminal.)

    If the above command gives you similar errors, try "sudo mke2fs -n -j /dev/sda1" and report the output.

    (The output of your "sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda" is fine; /dev/sda1 is the partition where the data is, so use the commands as written above.)
    Last edited by jrog; September 16th, 2012 at 07:12 PM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London
    Beans
    17
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Urgent help required

    I Typed "sudo e2fsck -f -b 8193 /dev/sda1" into the terminal the response was
    "e2fsck 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
    e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda1

    The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
    filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
    is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>"

    I tried "sudo mke2fs -n -j /dev/sda1" and it gave me
    "mke2fs 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
    Filesystem label=
    OS type: Linux
    Block size=4096 (log=2)
    Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
    Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
    446160 inodes, 1781760 blocks
    89088 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
    First data block=0
    Maximum filesystem blocks=1824522240
    55 block groups
    32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
    8112 inodes per group
    Superblock backups stored on blocks:
    32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632"

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Beans
    209
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Urgent help required

    Quote Originally Posted by adjbck View Post
    I Typed "sudo e2fsck -f -b 8193 /dev/sda1" into the terminal the response was
    "e2fsck 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
    e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda1

    The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
    filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
    is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>"

    I tried "sudo mke2fs -n -j /dev/sda1" and it gave me
    "mke2fs 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
    Filesystem label=
    OS type: Linux
    Block size=4096 (log=2)
    Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
    Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
    446160 inodes, 1781760 blocks
    89088 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
    First data block=0
    Maximum filesystem blocks=1824522240
    55 block groups
    32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
    8112 inodes per group
    Superblock backups stored on blocks:
    32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632"
    Great. Try typing this now at the terminal:

    sudo e2fsck -f -b 32768 /dev/sda1

    Make sure you get the number right. It should begin working through fixing the filesystem. If it does, it is likely you'll want to say 'yes' to all of the questions it asks you.

    EDIT: Just to add and hopefully save us some time, if it doesn't work with "-b 32768," try it with one of the other block numbers listed in the last line of the text I've quoted above (from your previous post).

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London
    Beans
    17
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Urgent help required

    It asked me to modify around 300 files (i ended up holding down y to speed the process along) should i reboot now?

    Previous to running the command i ran boot repair to survey the system, this is the output
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/1209469/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •