Thread: Connecting to a PPTP VPN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Connecting to a PPTP VPN

I'm able to connect to a PPTP VPN just fine with Ubuntu 12.04 but once I connect, I cannot browse anything. No shared drives or anything. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
    We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. - Tyler Durden

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Connecting to a PPTP VPN

VPN gives you an open connection to the internet, so you should be able to find anything that its DNS lets you find. If you're using UFW (or any form of firewall), double-check your settings to be sure you aren't neglecting some detail there. If you aren't setting up a firewall, then I would strongly suggest it.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know exactly where to plug the DNS (IP) setting in with Ubuntu? I've been given a DNS ip to use, but not sure where to enter it.
    We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. - Tyler Durden

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think DNS is set in IPv4 or IPv6 settings, the same as normal, only the traffic is routed (mostly) through the VPN.

see: http://www.stgraber.org/2012/02/24/dns-in-ubuntu-12-04/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderAD View Post
    I'm able to connect to a PPTP VPN just fine with Ubuntu 12.04 but once I connect, I cannot browse anything. No shared drives or anything. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
    Are you referring to Shared Drives on the VPN connection or losing access to existing Shared Drives when the VPN is connected?
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro

I was referring to shared drives on the VPN (not local drives). Since I couldn't "browse" for shares, I ended up mapping them via their local IP and folder name. That worked. I can access shared devices provided I know the IP address.