Hello folks I hope someone here can help me. I have been using Linux Mint for a little over 2 years now and have gotten used to it. However because of some kernel and compatibility problems I had to install Xubuntu 11.10.

Now my problem is that I need to install blender 2.63a which is the latest. I have downloaded it and unpacked it to my home folder as I have always done in Mint. But on Xubuntu 11.10 blender will not open. Clicking on the blender shortcut does nothing and running it from the terminal gives me this error.

Code:
geo@geo-HP:~/blender-2.63a$ ./blender
./blender: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Installing from the repo is not an option for me since the one on it is a very very old version. Due to some new features that I need it has to be 2.63a.

Also I know there are some 3rd party ppas out there but those only seem to install nightly builds which is also not an option for me as I cannot risk using nightly build stuff that breaks often on this production machine.

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.