Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista Shock & Awe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Windows Vista Shock & Awe

Hi All

Just thought I'd post my latest experiences with Windows Vista Beta 2 64 bit.

Well, the DVD boots. After 2 (?!?) years of MS development, I am greeted with a turquoise/green screen that does nothing. Ah, sorry, the mouse cursor works.

Its just simply amazing. Its beauty must be its simplicity.

I suppose I'd better do the right thing and report the bug, and retreat to the much rather sane world of Ubuntu 64bit.

Nice one
    Desktop: Apple iMac 20" Snow Leopard 10.6.1, eeePC 1000H Karmic 9.10 Alpha 6, HTPC: Mythbuntu 9.04, MAME Arcade Machine: Debian Etch 4.0

Beans

Re: Windows Vista Shock & Awe

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut1969
    Hi All

Well, the DVD boots. After 2 (?!?) years of MS development, I am greeted with a turquoise/green screen that does nothing. Ah, sorry, the mouse cursor works.

I suppose I'd better do the right thing and report the bug, and retreat to the much rather sane world of Ubuntu 64bit.

Nice one

No surprise. A lot of your hardware will not work with the 64bit edition now. You should use the 32bit version. If I'm not mistaken, the 64bit version will require signed 64bit drivers. There aren't many now, so I suggest trying the 32bit version before jumping to harsh conclusions. Remember we are still almost a year from launch as well.
    Ubuntu fanboy ~ Do yourself a favor and get a DS Lite. It has the best lineup of games this 30 year gamer has ever seen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tsb
    Remember we are still almost a year from launch as well.
    Why we are, do you work for microsoft? As i know, only microsoft guy can say we are, because there is now community behind.
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Well, after downgrading graphics card, & using 32bit version, I've had a bit more success..
    Desktop: Apple iMac 20" Snow Leopard 10.6.1, eeePC 1000H Karmic 9.10 Alpha 6, HTPC: Mythbuntu 9.04, MAME Arcade Machine: Debian Etch 4.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Maybe MS is also planning on doing Apple one better and go with a 0-button mouse to go with their simpler desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi All

Nice one
    sounds like its about as much use as a zx81 in this day and age........

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I think the most hilarious bit about Vista is the UAC aspect. It almost has a gksudo kinda feel to it. Actually it very much feels like that all together.

sudo in Vista....hehe....that is funny.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KingBahamut
    I think the most hilarious bit about Vista is the UAC aspect. It almost has a gksudo kinda feel to it. Actually it very much feels like that all together.
    Except it doesn't ask for a password, but a neverending load of accept buttons.
    Couldn't somebody write a program to "click" all these buttons, as it doesn't require a password?
    A Fedora user

Beans

Supposedly the confirmation clicks take place in the same secure desktop environment that presents the cntl-alt-del logon prompt. It's supposedly proven to be quite secure. I might actually be safer than a regular window asking for a password.

Sounds something like my experience with Vista.

I guess I had a little more luck, though. At least I had buttons I could push.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast