So, I've got some old computers I need to run Jitsiwith both USB headsets (headphones, mic, remote on cable) or two pin 3.5mm headsets (same deal). The computers initially had Ubuntu installed on them and Jitsi ran perfectly. The only problem is that most of them have 512mb to 1024mb of RAM, although most are closer to 512mb. As you can imagine, they ran very slow and would often crash. The crashes would also end up wiping all of the login information for Jitsi (SIPS). After a while, I decided I needed something lighter, and I chose Lubuntu.

Lubuntu runs like a champ on the computers, and Jitsi works as well. The problem is that there's no way for the end user to easily turn down the volume. While I haven't tried the two pin 3.5mm headsets (most of the headsets are USB), the USB headset remotes don't work, and neither does the volume program that's default in Lubuntu (ALSAmixer, I think).

I installed pavucontrol and can use that to adjust the headset volume, but it isn't easy for people who don't know computers to adjust the volume through another application.
Can anyone help me find away to easily set adjust the volume?
Note - I encounter the same problem with a fresh install of Lubuntu as well as by installing LXDE through a Ubuntu install. Both are running 12.04.