Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu hangs on boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu hangs on boot

nomodeset disables kernel mode setting of the video card's resolution and color depth, it apparently has been responsible with boot hangups for ati, nvidia, and intel drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'll give it a try. Would disabling it reduce functionality at all?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, but the setting can be undone just by removing the line from the grub config file. See if that is the problem, then we can work from there.

Beans
    Distro

I tried nomodeset, but it still hangs at the same moment -- on the purple screen before the ubuntu loading logo appears.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok, try this. Edit /etc/default/grub
    change the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

then run sudo update-grub2

When you reboot, it will disable the plymouth boot splash screen so you can see
    boot messages if it still hangs, what was the text on the last line where it hangs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by f8l_0e View Post
    Ok, try this. Edit /etc/default/grub
    change the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

then run sudo update-grub2

When you reboot, it will disable the plymouth boot splash screen so you can see
    boot messages if it still hangs, what was the text on the last line where it hangs?
    You must be joking System can't boot so how can OP get there.

The alternative:
    1. If you normally see a grub menu, go to 2. Else after the POST, keep <shift> pressed till you see the grub menu.
    2. Press 'e', go to the line that contains 'quiet splash' and remove those words.
    3. Press <ctrl>x to boot

Personally, I would replace 'quiet splash' by 'text'. This will (or at least should) get you to a console where you can login (note that you will not see anything when you type the password). Next use sudo lightdm start (12.04) or sudo gdm start (10.04) to (try to) start the graphical environment; I don't know for other versions.

Please give an accurate description of what happens. If starting of the graphical environment fails, you can check /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see what fails.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, I'm not joking. The OP states that the system eventually gets to GDM after a long wait, so it is no completely hung. I'm trying go one step a time to avoid missing clues as to what can be causing the problem.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I can boot -- I just have to hit the power button once or twice during boot to break it out of its freeze. Been like this for over a year now, even on fresh installs.

So I just removed quiet and splash from grub. It booted, but right after grub it still hung on the purple screen a bit. This time it ended by itself after about 15-20 seconds before boot continued. After the purple screen ended, the boot text went up so fast I couldn't read it, but the top to lines both started with fsck.

Strangely enough, last night when nomodeset didn't work, I went back and removed nomodeset from grub, and then restarted, and the system booted twice perfectly with no hanging. Then on the 3rd reboot, the hang returned, and again this morning it hanged. This sort of off-and-on hanging has been the norm. I would say it hangs 90-95% of the time, but then there is 5-10% where I turn it on and it boots up on 20 seconds or so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    So I just removed quiet and splash from grub. It booted, but right after grub it still hung on the purple screen a bit. This time it ended by itself after about 15-20 seconds before boot continued. After the purple screen ended, the boot text went up so fast I couldn't read it, but the top to lines both started with fsck.
    I would suspect HD errors. To exclude this possibility could you check your "SMART data" of the disk with "disk utility"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You could try
    Code:
    dmesg | grep 'fsck'
    to check the kernel boot messages to see if it contains the messages about fsck.

You could also do
    Code:
    dmesg | less
    to use the up/down or pg up/pg dn keys to go through the kernel boot log. Press "q" to leave less when you are done looking.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast