Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu hangs on boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Question Ubuntu hangs on boot

Ubuntu x64 / AMD Athlon II / 16 gb of RAM

I've had this problem for a long time now, and I've just ignored it thinking it might get fixed, but it's been probably over a year or more that I have had this.

Frequently when I boot, Ubuntu will hang on the purple screen. Sometimes it will hang even for an hour or more, sometimes 10 minutes, before going to the desktop.

I have no idea what's causing it. This has happened over and over again on every fresh install I've done, even other Ubuntu derivatives like Linux Mint. I just fresh installed yesterday and have the same issue.

During the purple screen hang, USB devices don't register yet either (I can tell this because when the hanging is finished, if my phone is plugged in, it beeps when it begins to charge).

The strange thing, and the reason I haven't posted anything for the longest time, is that whenever it hangs like this, if I press the PC's power button once or twice, it stops hanging and continues booting. I'm fairly sure that's not such a good thing to do and I have no idea why it works...

Can anyone help me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu hangs on boot

Are you using a proprietary graphics card like nvidia or ati?
    + Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit +
    Lubuntu 12.04 PPC 32bit G4 | Ubuntu 12.04 PPC 64bit G5

Beans
    Distro

ATI card. Radeon HD 4770.

This happens whether I use the proprietary drivers or the open source drivers, though.

Beans
    Distro

*bump*

Does this have something to do with the ATI card? Or the driver? Or could it be something else altogether?

I'm not sure what I would have to do in order to figure out what is causing this. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi, I've had this problem recently as well. I've been booting fine for ages and now, quite inexplicable, bootup hangs at "Stopping Mount network filesystems". It was fine the last time I booted, and I didn't even upgrade anything.

Anyone know how to solve this?

Edit: nevermind, after a fair amount of hair pulling, cursing (because that always helps) and tinkering, I've finally got it working again. It seems there was a problem loading the display manager. Reinstalled gdm seemed to help, but the problem would persist if I tried to boot into lightdm. That issue is solved now too.
    Last edited by Dy1anW; September 16th, 2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro

So what did you do? Just remove ldm?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I simply reinstalled gdm, and set lightdm as default.

Code:
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install gdm
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
    This worked for me since my copy of gdm had 'broken' somehow (still unsure how), but I don't think this is the case for you, especially since it occurs even after a fresh install.

When you say your computer hangs at the purple screen, do you mean the splash screen with the scrolling dots? When you hit Esc, what line does it stop at?

You should probably post your boot.log here, and hopefully someone with a much better understanding than me will know what to do.

Beans
    Distro

It hangs at the part where the screen is all purple. I think it's called Plymouth?? Maybe? When it hangs, I can't hit escape. The keyboard is completely unresponsibe. No ctrl-alt-delete, not even numlock works. The only thing to do is press the power button a few times, then I can hear the computer begin to think, and then it resumes the boot.

I'm attaching my boot.log.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you install 12.04 clean or have you upgraded from a previous version?

Have you tried clicking the ubuntu logo next to your username on the gdm window and selecting gnome classic mode, then reboot and see what happens?

You might also try adding the nomodeset option to the grub boot settings.

Beans
    Distro

This has happened with upgrades and with clean installs. This one now is a clean install.

I'll try it with Gnome Classic, though I do prefer Unity.

What would setting nomodeset do?

--
    edit: Using Gnome Classic and Unity 2d did not help. Still hangs at boot.
    Last edited by osarusan; September 17th, 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast