Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rant About University Software Requirments

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Rant About University Software Requirments

If you're using Windows XP (which is what, ten or eleven years old?) then they're well within their rights to insist you upgrade to something a little less ancient.

However, where possible I believe universities should allow, as much as possible, the students to use Linux and Mac OS. Obviously they can't provide technical support if things don't work properly, but forcing the use of non-multiplatform software should not be accepted.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

You're free to "use" anything you want.

the issue would be with the assignments. How you gonna do those spreadsheets in the Excel course without winders? The ActiveX you need to log onto the college site? Emailing those homework assignments in Libreoffice when the instructor has MS Office on his PC.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jones27557 View Post
    The bottom line is colleges are for-profit organizations.When I worked at the community college, everything was Microsoft.
    Almost all community colleges here in the US are funded by local tax revenue.

Beans

I used linux all through college. Most of my teachers "demanded" we only use windows and other microsoft based products. I even had one that specifically said she would not accept papers written with open office even if saved in .doc format (it was an online course so submissions were online). I ignored this, used open office and saved in .doc format and of course she never noticed the difference. Of course all the teachers that did this were my non-computer credits (like english, history, etc.) while all of my computer related classes had no problem with me using linux because they knew enough about computers to know it wouldn't affect anything so long as the class wasn't windows specific. I do remember one class that was windows specific, (windows server administration) which I used a VM for but since we had to have windows server edition for that class almost everyone else was using a VM as well (though running on top of XP). When it comes to college if it's not a computer course then the OS you're using doesn't matter and if it a computer course then a VM works just fine.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans

With my school it doesn't matter. My computer Science teacher knows I use Linux and even though all the school's computers run Windows 7, he has no problem with it. So far, the only extra software we've used is a JAR applet as lab software, which of course works with any OS. The general consesus around campus for turning in assignments is as longs as it's .doc, .docx or .pdf, go ahead. If I really wanted I could probably go with ODT (v 1.1) because all the computer have Office 2010, but I won't bother, PDF ensures it looks the same anywhere, no other format can do that. In general, I think the fact that many students use OS X help out Linux users, because now professors have to realize (and do) that not everybody uses Windows.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vinton90 View Post
    I just enrolled in Kaplan University yesterday, and I am on track to get my Associates Degree in Information Technology with a focus in application development. I plan on either focusing on that again during my Bachelors or focusing on security instead. But, I digress. In order for me to take these classes I have to purchase software from Microsoft, and may even be forced (not literally but as a recommendation to stay up to date) to purchase an upgrade of the OS, as I am only using XP on a my desktop. I don't usually touch it but I will have to for school. I'm not angry about having to use Windows because I understand that that is what they are teaching us to be able to fix and or manipulate; what I am a little annoyed with though is that I'm going to be spending a couple hundred dollars just to be able to take this class.

It's softened by the fact that they have links to the student discounted software and OS, and that my text books are supplied as part of tuition. They also have about half of their textbooks as e-books (pdfs) which I can send to my Kindle. It just irks me really that I have to have this stuff, and they won't acknowledge the open source software that does the same thing. The online portion (the website/portal for classes) checks your computer and tells you what you're missing. It was unhappy with me not having Adobe Reader, Java7 and pop ups blocked. It just seems like a lot of money, and complication for something that can be done, in my mind, much easier, and safer.

But, I'm going to try not to let it get in the way of my learning. What are your thoughts on schools insisting on "paid for software" only? And your experiences, if you have them, with "converting" your schools to allow the option for open source or to change entirely?

Well, I can give you a brief iteration of my poor upbringing in the deep south where technology was just some far away fairy tale of mind expansion so there was little to grow on. I was 25 before I had my first computer. I am only 36 now, so my first experience was dreadfully full of the well spent advertising market from microsoft.... If only I knew the what I know now, to borrow a cliche. The public in the US is so brainwashed with the slogans and marketing techniques that they are oblivious to the wonderful FOSS arena of stretching the limits and potential of the human mind. I so wish I could just go back a couple of decades before the zombies took over... At least there are some other "not so privileged countries" out there that have helped bring some of it to light... Ever wonder where the name Ubuntu came from?
    Just saying that I am so loyal to FOSS and Ubuntu is where the light came in through the blinds, waking me from my slumber...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

IMNSHO, any school that chooses to prioritize being a showcase for an OS vendor over support the interoperability that's driving an ever-increasing amount of the world's tech is doing itself a discredit to its reputation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob60 View Post
    With my school it doesn't matter. My computer Science teacher knows I use Linux and even though all the school's computers run Windows 7, he has no problem with it. So far, the only extra software we've used is a JAR applet as lab software, which of course works with any OS. The general consesus around campus for turning in assignments is as longs as it's .doc, .docx or .pdf, go ahead. If I really wanted I could probably go with ODT (v 1.1) because all the computer have Office 2010, but I won't bother, PDF ensures it looks the same anywhere, no other format can do that. In general, I think the fact that many students use OS X help out Linux users, because now professors have to realize (and do) that not everybody uses Windows.
    I would have thought that by now, all assignments should be submitted in .pdf and signed appropriately.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm not sure about you, but since I'm enrolled in the COIS program at my school I'm eligible for a free copy of Windows 7.
    That's what she said.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AllRadioisDead View Post
    I'm not sure about you, but since I'm enrolled in the COIS program at my school I'm eligible for a free copy of Windows 7.
    Just because you *can* get a free copy of windows doesn't mean people want it on their system. I have a completely legit copy of windowsXP I bought from before I migrated to linux but I don't use it except in a VM and even then very rarely.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast