Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant even run live cd

Beans

Cant even run live cd

So my brother sent my mother an old laptop he had with windows xp installed but I discovered it has the virut virus on it, and as there is no recovery console installed, and he has sent no discs with it, (im assuming he has none now), I planned to install ubuntu for her.
    The problem is, when i boot up the live cd it goes to the square with the two little icons at the bottom, then just a black screen with a flashing line and stops there.
    I know the cd works, I tried it on my windows 7 pc, so Im wondering if its the laptop or should I just wipe the drive first.
    Dont know much about the laptop, its a presario 2100, looks a few years old, and getting any info from my bro would be next to impossible.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Cant even run live cd

You might need to push F6 and click "nomodeset" during startup, I think that laptop has ATI graphics card.

Beans

Yes it does. Ill give that try and let you know

Beans

Ok, showing my lack of technical knowledge here, but pressing f6 just brings up the battery calibration for me.
    Add to this, also tried it when it loads cd, but just get black screen.
    Last edited by Stooshie90; September 14th, 2012 at 11:04 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

see here on where you do this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

otherwise you might need alternate CD or try Lubuntu (which doesn't use PAE kernel)
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Lubuntu looks more promising, I get the languages and F options, but hitting F6, or even enter on English just seems to freeze it, and leaving to countdown brings up just the flashing line.
    i dont know whther to try it with a formatted drive, doubt if that will make a difference, or just give it up as a loss.

Beans

Go Minimal:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

All hail the psychocats!
    Intel C2D E7200 || Intel DG33FB mobo || 4 GB RAM || 64 bit Lucid/ Precise Desktops || WD Caviar Black 1TB, Green 2TB; Corsair Force 3 60GB
    Dell U2412M || Palit Sonic GT 240 (OC'd NVidia card) || Logitech Quickcam Connect || Acer 3300U Scanner

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You could try booting from a USB stick and see if that makes a difference.
    We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. - Tyler Durden

Beans

I had the same problem and for me the solution was the nomodeset option but to get to it once Ubuntu is loading I hit the left SHIFT button and then a bunch of languages pop-up, I press esc, then I press F6 to choose the nomodeset option Hope it works!

Beans

Tried your suggestions now, none worked. I also tried Gparted to wipe the drive clean but it suffers the same fate.
    Its like the dvd drive just stops reading, so I think Im going to have to write off this laptop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast