Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Intel goes for a Windows-only chip

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Intel goes for a Windows-only chip

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    Apple owns something like 7% of the desktop market. According to this, Android devices are outselling iOS devices 4 to 1. And yet, Apple is still the most valuable company on the planet.

Yes, it is about ROI, not just market dominance.
    The explanation for that is easy. There *is* such a thing as a company called Apple; but there is no such thing as a company called Android. If there were, Android might well be on its way to overtaking Apple.

Also, the choice isn't between ROI and "market dominance". That's creating a false dichotomy and a straw man. My point is that ROI does not equal "commercial success". It doesn't cut it. It didn't with WP7 and it won't with WP8.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

VTPoet, there's one thing you're missing. Yes, WP7 was a failure, but it was only an introduction.

Windows 8 will be a huge success. I've used it - it's incredibly fast, lightweight, and the most Unix-like Windows I've ever seen. Developers can target not only the ENTIRE new PC market, but Tablets and Phones - with 1 Metro program.

With the existing developer base MS has, W8 will be huge. They're got Nokia, Samsung and HTC on board for phones, and every PC maker on board for PCs/Tablets...

Right now the biggest complaint about tablets is productivity - no Office. W8 fixes that. Despite the lack of legacy desktop apps, it will have real productivity apps. And with Metro on the desktop and tablet being essentially the same, major companies will be making real, full-blown software that runs on the tablets.

MS has always demonstrated an ability to dominate markets - the desktop, and later as a newcomer, the gaming console. If you think they can't dominate tablets and phones, you're wrong.

I still like Linux, will probably always use it, but I'm willing to bet money (and probably will buy some stock to prove it) that W8 will dominate every consumer computing market...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    The performance of Windows Phone 7 says it all.

Windows 7 is estimated to have cost 1 billion in development and marketing. As of 2011, some estimates placed Windows 7 revenue at under 600,000. That estimate appears to have been based on the second or third quarter of 2011, when market share was falling (or had fallen) to almost 1%. In 2012 it climbed to 3.5 %. The ROI was positive. Ballmer's reaction?

You don't need mind reading skills. Ballmer wasn't satisfied.

Quibbling over the actual number of the tipping point is a red herring. Whatever it is, it won't be what Ballmer considers a "commercial success" -- just look at past history. Calling WP8 a "commercial success" just because the ROI is positive won't satisfy Ballmer and most definitely won't satisfy MS's shareholders.
    You just proved my point.....

Cost = $1 billion
    Revenue = $600 million
    Equals negative return on investment of $400 Million, thus a commercial failure. If the revenue for Windows phone 7 were $1.5 Billion then there would have been a positive return on investment of half a billion dollars, thus a commercial success.

If Windows phone 8 makes a positive return on the shareholders investment and by extrapolation of that a higher dividend yield for said shareholders then then both Mr Ballmer and the shareholders will be happy. The fulfillment of the company's primary goal will have been met.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

somebody needs to split off about 90% of these posts into their own thread so we can get back to talking about Intel making a Windows only chip (which they changed their minds about, by the way).
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    somebody needs to split off about 90% of these posts into their own thread so we can get back to talking about Intel making a Windows only chip (which they changed their minds about, by the way).
    +1

This thread has turned into an economics class.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    You just proved my point.....

Cost = $1 billion
    Revenue = $600 million
    Equals negative return on investment of $400 Million, thus a commercial failure. If the revenue for Windows phone 7 were $1.5 Billion then there would have been a positive return on investment of half a billion dollars, thus a commercial success.
    So you saw the part about 600,000, when it was 1% of the the total market share, but you somehow ignored the rest of it -- the part about its climbing to 3.5%? Revenue for Windows Phone 7 eventually exceeded 1.5 Billion. Not to beat the horse... but this horse is obviously in denial... this was a positive ROI but it was not a commercial success.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    VTPoet, there's one thing you're missing. Yes, WP7 was a failure, but it was only an introduction.

Windows 8 will be a huge success.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it won't be. My only question, originally, concerned what percentage of the global marketshare could be considered a "commercial success" for Windows 8. That's it. That was my question. Simple as that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it won't be. My only question, originally, concerned what percentage of the global marketshare could be considered a "commercial success" for Windows 8. That's it. That was my question. Simple as that.
    That is a different yard stick for measuring success, if you are using 'numbers sold' then 1% is not a success, however if a product whilst having only 1% of it's market still achieves say a 25% return on investment then it is a commercial success.

Now if Windows phone 8 captures say 4% of the market and nets MSFT a profit then it is a success.

To use an example for the opposite PS3 has a very high market share yet it continues to return a negative return on investment, it has not met it's primary goal, a profit, therefore it is not a commercial success.
    This account is not active.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567