Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel goes for a Windows-only chip

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Intel goes for a Windows-only chip

I thought the whole point of linux, is that it WILL work.

So they use a different type of chip that linux wont work on.

Doesn't that mean its up to us to make it work?

Pretty sure if someone really wants linux, they will have linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am sure the kernel team will figure this out.....

However I too find Intels new anti-linux attitude foreboding.... consiering Linux/Android run on a lot of tablets and lower end computers...

Oh well I suppose it'll be a win for arm chips on those lower devices...

Beans

I doubt that would fly in the courtroom.
    Remember when they tried that with Internet Explorer?

Believe me, they woulda done it years ago if the lawyers hadn't advised them of all the anti-trust lawsuits they would pay out.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    Let their treats work and be super succesful. It is time to see MS fall for anti-trust once again.
    Yep, the EU will not hesitate to slap them with a hefty fine once again.
    They are already under investigation for "forgetting" the browser choice screen in newer versions of Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by szymon_g View Post
    Can you please provide me with 2 things that Android has to threaten MS Windows on PC?
    PCs aren't the battleground, MS has that sown up already. Where Android threatens to lock them out is tablets, smart TVs and the whole slew of non-PC home computing devices on the horizon that will run on ARM or (so Intel hopes) Atom chips. Microsoft risks missing those markets the way they did with smartphones.
    Last edited by Paqman; September 15th, 2012 at 12:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I'm using a 7 year old dell computer, originally preloaded with Windows XP, now running Lubuntu.

This type of proposed hardware lockout will only mean more computers will be destined for the landfill, definitely bad news for the environment!

This type of lock out should be made illegal!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    Let their treats work and be super succesful. It is time to see MS fall for anti-trust once again.

How much things change...
    As we need more "wintel only hardware" trash to fill up even tablet market now.
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here's another article. This article seems to suggest that it's a software issue (deliberately "dis-enabling" Linux?).

Strikes me as a curious decision by Intel. Android/Linux represents somewhere between 20 to 30 percent of the global tablet market. The latest news puts Apple at 68 or 69 percent of global marketshare. (I didn't realize Android on the tablet was getting so thoroughly thrashed). What's in it for Intel? Why lash themselves to a company who has around 1% of the market? I mean, after all, Linux has a greater share of the desktop and Intel isn't marketing Linux-only chips? I smell a rat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Here's another article. This article seems to suggest that it's a software issue (deliberately "dis-enabling" Linux?).

Strikes me as a curious decision by Intel. Android/Linux represents somewhere between 20 to 30 percent of the global tablet market. The latest news puts Apple at 68 or 69 percent of global marketshare. (I didn't realize Android on the tablet was getting so thoroughly thrashed). What's in it for Intel? Why lash themselves to a company who has around 1% of the market? I mean, after all, Linux has a greater share of the desktop and Intel isn't marketing Linux-only chips? I smell a rat.
    When Microsoft has the same OS running the same kernel on all devices (Windows 8 on PC, Tablet, Phone, and whatever the next gen XBox is) they will have a level of integration others could only dream of.

Whatever meagre marketshare they have now is nothing compared to what they can obtain. I'm no fan of MS, but Windows 8 is a good product, and tons of people will be clamouring for Windows, with a full (touchscreen) Office suite and everything on their mobile devices...

Google doesn't have a desktop OS, Apple is failing to continue innovating, Linux is way too fractured and RIM is asleep at the wheel - Microsoft, for all their failures, might just have a huge hit on their hands.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jones27557 View Post
    I doubt that would fly in the courtroom.
    Remember when they tried that with Internet Explorer?

Believe me, they woulda done it years ago if the lawyers hadn't advised them of all the anti-trust lawsuits they would pay out.
    This chip is for tablets not personal computers. Right now Intel has zeero presence in the tablet market and this chip with Win8 preinstalled is probably the only they can get the price of their SOC's down to ARM level.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast